Fandango

Topic Locking in Off Topic

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I thought that this section was where we were supposed to post these types of things.
Might you try again, perhaps worded differently, si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I had a few things to add to this thread, but unfortunately my post was deleted and I was suspended. Isn't it odd that happened even though nobody was named and it was a general observation? No TOS violation. I thought that this section was where we were supposed to post these types of things. Hmmmmm, strange.

That actually happens quite a lot on VJ. Now, even generalizations are TOS violations. :blink:

Might you try again, perhaps worded differently, si man?

I don't think it was worded offensively. It was an observation of what goes on here and how simple things have become a TOS violation while far more offending posts/stereotypes are permitted. What happened to reason?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a difference between 'being permitted' and 'not being reported'. We deal consistently with all reported material - but if something is offensive and it isn't reported, then we probably may not even know about it. So, if it is offensive, report it and we will address it.:) Spooky - the way you worded your first comment that was removed was definitely different than the more moderate language you used above.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

There is a difference between 'being permitted' and 'not being reported'. We deal consistently with all reported material - but if something is offensive and it isn't reported, then we probably may not even know about it. So, if it is offensive, report it and we will address it.:) Spooky - the way you worded your first comment that was removed was definitely different than the more moderate language you used above.

I still feel that the r word as it applies to a few users here gets overlooked. If you look at what I posted and got suspended for it pales in comparison. Kathryn, you have always been a fair mod as has William and Krikit. You know the relationship that several of us regulars have here and have been quite fair about it. When I have been suspended in the past, I deserved it. This is the first time that I complained to Ewok. I made an obviously joking post about soccer in the world cup thread and the post gets deleted and I get threatened with a suspension? I find this unreal with what I see posted here everyday about blacks, Hispanics etc. That was my point when I posted in this thread the other day, yet I got suspended. I did not call anyone out or insult any moderator.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no consistent enforcement of the TOS. For the most part, it is completely arbitrary.

Filed: Timeline

I actually find that Kathryn is the mod that I have the only complaints about. *shrug* WADR, she either takes her 'job' here too seriously, or gets off on flexing her mod muscle.

eta: imo, of course

Edited by Happy Bunny

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think a big problem with the current moderating is that there is no public knowledge of what has happened and to whom. Yesterday, someone made a comment in a thread that I had received a 2 day suspension for saying the same thing. I reported the comment, and then this morning, I see the post is still up and the poster is reading some thread. Without knowing the context behind the scenes, it would like complicity on the part of the moderators.

I have no problem with a moderator calling me out in a thread and announcing that I was suspended for saying the "r" word. Now, I can't say that I have ever received a suspension that I didn't deserve, but there needs to be some uniform enforcement and there needs to be accountability on the part of the users and the moderators.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I still feel that the r word as it applies to a few users here gets overlooked. If you look at what I posted and got suspended for it pales in comparison. Kathryn, you have always been a fair mod as has William and Krikit. You know the relationship that several of us regulars have here and have been quite fair about it. When I have been suspended in the past, I deserved it. This is the first time that I complained to Ewok. I made an obviously joking post about soccer in the world cup thread and the post gets deleted and I get threatened with a suspension? I find this unreal with what I see posted here everyday about blacks, Hispanics etc. That was my point when I posted in this thread the other day, yet I got suspended. I did not call anyone out or insult any moderator.

R as in Racist?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kathryn strikes again. 'Going off topic' being listed. Absolutely ridiculous, Ewok.

If you read the rest of the report you will see that the thread was closed due to TOS violations. This is what was actually posted:

Several posts containing personal insults have been removed. Since the topic continues to stray off topic and is now incorporating TOS violating insults, I am closing this thread.

In the warning earlier, I did suggest that if people wished to continue on the topic that was derailing the original topic, they were welcome to start a new thread to continue that discussion. This is what actually did happen, so if you wish to continue discussing the topic that developed out of the original thread, you can do so there.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Then what is the point, Kathryn, of even mentioning the 'straying off topic' nonsense if it had nothing to do with it? I mean really.

I find the whole 'getting off topic' thing really ridiculous, especially in OT of all places. You're the only mod I've seen do this.