DoneWaiting

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs

32 posts in this topic

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at http://www.takeourjobs.org, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

According to the Labor Department, three out of four farm workers were born abroad, and more than half are illegal immigrants.

Proponents of tougher immigration laws have argued that farmers have become used to cheap labor and don't want to raise wages enough to draw in other workers.

Those who have done the job have some words of advice for applicants: First, dress appropriately.

During summer, when the harvest of fruits and vegetables is in full swing in California's Central Valley, temperatures hover in the triple digits. Heat exhaustion is one of the reasons farm labor consistently makes the Bureau of Labor Statistics' top ten list of the nation's most dangerous jobs.

Second, expect long days. Growers have a small window to pick fruit before it is overripe.

And don't count on a big paycheck. Farm workers are excluded from federal overtime provisions, and small farms don't even have to pay the minimum wage. Fifteen states don't require farm labor to be covered by workers compensation laws.

Any takers?

"The reality is farmworkers who are here today aren't taking any American jobs away. They work in often unbearable situations," Rodriguez said. "I don't think there will be many takers, but the offer is being made. Let's see what happens."

To highlight how unlikely the prospect of Americans lining up to pick strawberries or grapes, Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" plans to feature the "Take Our Jobs" campaign on July 8.

The campaign is being played for jokes, but the need to secure the right to work for immigrants who are here is serious business, said Michael Rubio, supervisor in Kern County, one of the biggest ag producing counties in the nation.

"Our county, our economy, rely heavily on the work of immigrant and unauthorized workers," he said. "I would encourage all our national leaders to come visit Kern County and to spend one day, or even half a day, in the shoes of these farm workers."

Hopefully, the message will go down easier with some laughs, said Manuel Cunha, president of the California grower association Nisei Farmers League, who was not a part of the campaign.

"If you don't add some humor to this, it's enough to get you drinking, and I don't mean Pepsi," Cunha said, dismissing the idea that Americans would take up the farm workers' offer.

California's agriculture industry launched a similar campaign in 1998, hoping to recruit welfare recipients and unemployed workers to work on farms, he said. Three people showed up.

"Give us a legal, qualified work force. Right now, farmers don't know from day to day if they're going to get hammered by ICE," he said, referring to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. "What happens to my labor pool?"

His organization supports AgJobs, a bill currently in the Senate which would allow those who have worked in U.S. agriculture for at least 150 days in the previous two years to get legal status.

The bill has been proposed in various forms since the late 1990s, with backing from the United Farm Workers of America and other farming groups, but has never passed.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

heh. Colbert is a douche.

I may not be most people, but if I didn't have a job and needed a job, I'd be down there in a heartbeat working my #### off.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

The Right for an individual should not be measure by the immigration status. Nonetheless, illegal immigration are only guilty in continuously feeding "North Americans" [to be politically correct] their wide and self religiousness {spoil and arrogant [generally speaking]}.. but of course, would love to see IM prove them wrong.

Wait, forgot a little of the North American History.. Who are the real natives here?

Edited by DoneWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Timeline

The Right for an individual should not be measure by the immigration status. Nonetheless, illegal immigration are only guilty in continuously feeding "North Americans" [to be politically correct] their wide and self religiousness {spoil and arrogant [generally speaking]}.. but of course, would love to see IM prove them wrong.

Wait, forgot a little of the North American History.. Who are the real natives here?

Oh shut up. This isn't 200 years ago. This is TODAY. Stop with that apologist rhetoric.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

I support this. Take your jobs if you care so much. 10% of Americans are unemployed. They could sure use the $2.50/hr. Every little bit helps. Hey Lou Dobbs, pick my cherries.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I support this. Take your jobs if you care so much. 10% of Americans are unemployed. They could sure use the $2.50/hr. Every little bit helps. Hey Lou Dobbs, pick my cherries.

you want to have sex with Lou? :o

Edited by Natty Bumppo

Timeline

:lol: I was thinking that too!

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

I knew someone was going to post that. I don't want to have sex with Lou. I don't have cherry. Lol. I only said that for lols and giggles.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I knew someone was going to post that. I don't want to have sex with Lou. I don't have cherry. Lol. I only said that for lols and giggles.

an open admission of baiting ... humm ... lucky for you the mods can't read this thread ... :lol:

Edited by Natty Bumppo

Filed: Timeline

i think you might wanna ask construction, service industry, factory, and food service industry workers about who's jobs have been & are still being taken. they are NOT only guitly of 'continuously feeding 'north americans'Americans'(guess what you can do w/ your PC) :).

yes lets do some research on north american history. you just might find out the 'natives' aren't natives either.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

With unemployment running out for many USC's... they will start to look for jobs they otherwise would consider undesireable...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Actually my MAC is running properly,– [Americans include North, Central and South]. And this has nothing to do with 200 years of old history, although I don’t consider the Emancipation movements to be old otherwise you or your spouse wouldn’t in the USA..we are not equally balanced... we are judge by our status and more. Come on, we all say I will take their jobs but the trust is far from the reality, But I may be wrong .. I probably wouldn't .. I am not even sure if blue-collar workers will even consider it.. especially when you are working with very little rights no benefits and a low salary..

Whether is with humor or thought the political realms in Washington, we need those fkin illegals

to continue helping our economy.. in the mean time until you see your #### is there sweating like pig, your opinion is just like mine.

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

It's truly a shame that the UFW has become such a douchebag organization. Cesar Chavez, its revered founder, was vehemently anti-illegal, so much so that he started a militia to harrass them at the border and reported suspected illegals to immigration. The man must be spinning in his grave over the turn its leaders have taken against the very American workers he championed.

Filed: Timeline

Actually my MAC is running properly,– [Americans include North, Central and South].

your opinion is just like mine.

odd i've never heard of the countries brazil of america, or mexico of america, or even el salvador of america. apparently there aren't many in the world that have. that explains why when people around the globe say americans, its understood that they are speaking about people from the united states of america.

idk your opinion seems to be a little bit racially bias, so no your opinion is not just like mine.

7yqZWFL.jpg