maiandra

Birth Control w/ Health Insurance

72 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

so last week I had my first OBGYN appointment to get a new prescription for birth control (I had brought a 1 year supply from my home country, which now runs out). I used Yasminelle in Germany, in the US known as YAZ. The doctor asked me if I wanted to continue using this product, I told her yes. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription they gave me not the YAZ, but a generic called Gianvi. I payed 120 Dollars for a 3 months worth of birth control. NUTS! In my homecountry I would have paid 120 Euros for 1 year, that is about 150 Dollars. Why is birth control here so much more expensive? I do have health insurance, I am with United Healthcare. I asked the pharmacist how much it would be without insurance, he said it would be over 200 Dollars.

I am just shocked about the prices here. Plus, why do they give generics here? How much more expensive are the brands then?

Are there any cheaper ways of birth control?

AOS/AP/EAD

WEDDING: OCTOBER 24th 2009!

Nov.16th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD sent to USCIS Chicago office

Nov.18th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD arrived at Chicago PO Box

Dec.11th 2009 - Biometrics Appointment, Alexandria, VA

Jan.19th 2010 - EAD approved

Jan.20th 2010 - AOS Transfer from Chicago to California

Jan.23rd 2010 - AP received

Jan.25th 2010 - EAD received

June 25th 2010 - Green Card production ordered!

July 9th 2010 - Green Card received!

June 11th 2012 - Lifting Conditions filed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

depends on the type of birth control you get...

The pill shouldn't be that expensive for you.. Depo (which I wouldn't recommend) shouldn't be that bad either.

Just depends on the percentage which your insurance covers.

Drugs aren't subsidized here either (not sure if they are in Germany) so that plays a role into it as well.

All in all though, when you think of it as in terms of just a little over $1 a day not to get pregnant... It's pretty cheap still. ;)

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Are there any cheaper ways of birth control?

Planned Parenthood is the cheapest option for me now that they took away the discounts available at student health clinic.

I still am having a hard time paying that and Nuvaring was giving me problems, so I am looking into NFP and FAM methods.. I can't commit to those quite yet because it seems so weird and hippish. I don't know many that practice those so it's hard to get a good idea of whether or not they work.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You could like into getting an IUD (intrauterine device). There's 2 types: one with progestogen, and one without.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device

I'm not sure if this would be any more expensive; I suppose it would depend on your plan. If you do look into an IUD, some brands offer payment plans and perhaps discounts so it would be worth calling them up, as well as your health insurance provider.

IUDs sometimes don't work out for women; they can be tricky to insert depending on a woman's anatomy. Paragard (copper) and Mirena (progestogen) are the 2 available in the States.

BC pills are expensive under my health ins plan (Blue Cross), too - about $40 per pack of Loestrin-24 Fe. I was on Yasmin (sp?) two years ago. I cannot remember if it was the generic but the price was about the same as I pay now. You are not alone.

You could like into getting an IUD (intrauterine device). There's 2 types: one with progestogen, and one without.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device

I'm not sure if this would be any more expensive; I suppose it would depend on your plan. If you do look into an IUD, some brands offer payment plans and perhaps discounts so it would be worth calling them up, as well as your health insurance provider.

IUDs sometimes don't work out for women; they can be tricky to insert depending on a woman's anatomy. Paragard (copper) and Mirena (progestogen) are the 2 available in the States.

One of my best friends got an IUD about two years ago. She loves it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I got a prescription for 1 year from Planned Parenthood for $28.

I pick up my birthcontrol from Walmart for $9 a month.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I got a prescription for 1 year from Planned Parenthood for $28.

I pick up my birthcontrol from Walmart for $9 a month.

What brand? Also, did you have to give household income information? Is the price you pay based on household salary?

Filed: Timeline

After the baby, I took loestrin for 10 days and gained 7 lbs. I opted out and went for IUD (without hormones) Paragard. Its worked perfect for me. I am just totally against pills and anything with hormones. It cost $494.00 and my insurance paid for it. Its peace of mind for 5 years now.

After the baby, I took loestrin for 10 days and gained 7 lbs. I opted out and went for IUD (without hormones) Paragard. Its worked perfect for me. I am just totally against pills and anything with hormones. It cost $494.00 and my insurance paid for it. Its peace of mind for 5 years now.

Yeah I put on about 12 pounds over the past two years but I never thought to attribute that to Loestrin. Now you got me thinking...

Timeline

What brand? Also, did you have to give household income information? Is the price you pay based on household salary?

I use Tri-Sprintec. It's a generic brand of Ortho-Tricyclene.

Yes and yes.

I was covered by my student health insurance while I was in college earlier.

I also eventually plan to get a non-hormonal IUD as well.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have the Implanon rod in my arm. I had it done in Australia for $20. Dread to think what it costs here. The depo shot wasn't too bad but 1 1/2 months in it starts wearing off... not effective enough in my opinion. The rod lasts 3 years, less invasive to remove than an IUD and given my mother had her IUD "grow over" when she had one and thus had to have it removed, I'm not risking something like that lest there be a genetic similarity that causes me to have the same reaction.

I've not had any bad reactions to the rod, no bleeding issues either. Honestly and without judgment, I don't know why anyone would have something inserted into their "nether regions" when they can have a rod placed in their arm much easier and much less invasive (you can't see it either, but you can feel it). Removal is easy as well. Though I assume price would be a factor and I don't know the price difference here. Still **shudder** to intrauterine device :S

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

####### is a rod in the arm? Do tell, I'm intrigued. I'm not quite on board with the idea of stuffing anything in my va-jay-jay either.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I paid about 20 bucks for a 3 month supply of Lutera (generic form of Alesse) this was through the United Health care mail order prescription plan..

it would of cost me about 60 bucks for 3 months if I would have bought it at the pharmacy

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

####### is a rod in the arm? Do tell, I'm intrigued. I'm not quite on board with the idea of stuffing anything in my va-jay-jay either.

http://www.implanon-usa.com/Consumer/index.asp?C=7727140354096724537

There you go, the American site on it. To get personal I've had 2 menstrual "cycles" since July 09 (if you want to call them cycles). They were like the last day of menstruation and lasted a day and I didn't have severe back pain like I normally do. I've had no hormonal issues. The rod doesn't hurt and honestly I forget its there sometimes (it was a bit tender the first couple of days.. but barely).

The rod is said to have a 0.01% fail rate where sterilization is 0.02% fail rate.. I like those odds. Having it removed you go back to normal very quickly and to remove it it's a small cut where the rod is, they grab it with tweezers and TA-DA! I like it and I recommend it.

I will warn you though that SOME girls have a bad reaction and bleed continuously. For that reason I had the Depo shot first (same type of hormones) to see how my body reacted. I reacted fine but it wore off around the 1 1/2-2 month mark and that's not permanent enough for me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.