maiandra

Birth Control w/ Health Insurance

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

thanks for the info guys! we are pretty worried about birth control because what we use in Ecuador is not available in the United States, even though it works very well and is not very expensive. $400-$800 though would drain us a bit financially, after paying all of the costs of the visa/plane tickets/etc.

thanks for the info guys! we are pretty worried about birth control because what we use in Ecuador is not available in the United States, even though it works very well and is not very expensive. $400-$800 though would drain us a bit financially, after paying all of the costs of the visa/plane tickets/etc.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

How about condoms? I know it is not great and all but it is effective, cheap and without hormones.

Unfortunately guys don't really want to use condoms, so pretty much we have to deal with pills or other methods. I love condoms what are made for 'her pleasure'.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

One question to all you on a type of birth control where you get periods every few months, or less:

Are you ever worried of the possibility you might get pregnant and not know cause you don't get a period? I'm like most women who hate "that time of the month" & would like to change to something like Seasonale to get a period 4 times a year, but worried I won't know the pill had a fail & I got pregnant. This might be dumb, but its been on my mind.

I have been on pills for 1.9 years now. For the first year I did get my regular period but for the past 9 months I think I only had 2 periods so far, but I am not worried as I do get blood spotting every month, so I know for sure I am not pregnant.

And about BC, I already knew the high prices in US, since we are without insurance I wasn't going to pay $90 for a months supply; so yes I did get my supply from India. I will be going back to India this September, I might look into Implanon while there or will get another 2 years worth of pills.

The Implanon is not painful as someone else mentioned they numb the area on your arm, you are aware of some pressure but definetly no pain, same when it is removed.

As for worrying if pregnant, as the Implanon is over 99% effective and you cant forget to take it (as its permanently in your arm) I never even think about being pregnant.

I would say its worth the big price tag as once its done you dont have to worry for another three years which is good if there is a risk you may loose your health insurance

Stacey

Edited by staceyafreeman

Filed: Timeline

Daniel told me about Yaz since he works in the health department processing injuries and medical problems for soldiers now. He said that Yaz contains anti depressants and can be harmful in the long run. He had quite a few women cases where Yaz had messed them up severely. Thats why anything with hormones and anything I don't know about seriously scares me. I guess its also a matter of what suits your body. A friend of mine is completely happy with it. But no pills for me.

I have been on pills for 1.9 years now. For the first year I did get my regular period but for the past 9 months I think I only had 2 periods so far, but I am not worried as I do get blood spotting every month, so I know for sure I am not pregnant.

And about BC, I already knew the high prices in US, since we are without insurance I wasn't going to pay $90 for a months supply; so yes I did get my supply from India. I will be going back to India this September, I might look into Implanon while there or will get another 2 years worth of pills.

Trinket, you will have a spotting when you get pregnant too when the egg implants itself in your uterus :bonk:

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately guys don't really want to use condoms, so pretty much we have to deal with pills or other methods. I love condoms what are made for 'her pleasure'.

Its more convenient for me to have gotten the IUD and not get in the hassle of looking for a condom, not having one available or just simply being careless. My mother was surprised doctors here don't talk about IUDs as they are 1 of the safest methods (you just should have had a child before though). Its funny coz in India they want women to go for non hormonal IUD (copper-T) they get like a glass of juice and Rs 25.00 for getting it done too :lol:

Interesting topic!

I have Levora right now that's $20 a month (the insurance itself is not bad but not so great for pharma benefits), I'm hoping to find something a little cheaper too. My insurance does a mail order service, need to call GYN anyway so maybe they will make me another prescription..hmmm

I have endometriosis so the pill is good for me, if I had normal periods I probably would not be so quick to mess with hormones but that's life. Anyway for that reason I have avoided the IUDs as they can give you cysts (though I heard they usually go away), if I have enough problems down there already I don't want to really tempt fate with any more lol

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'll second (third?) all the opinions on Implanon, I'v had it since the beginning of the year and I love it!

No pill to forget,haha!

It doesn't hurt even a little bit when they put it in, it's actually kinda cool watching it getting put in.

I had mine done in Sweden, was about $30.

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We paid $72 for a 3 month presciption at the Planned Parenthood. Bought the birth control pill at Walmart for $9 a month.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

####### is a rod in the arm? Do tell, I'm intrigued. I'm not quite on board with the idea of stuffing anything in my va-jay-jay either.

Yup wife just got her Implanon 2 weeks ago its like the depo but slowly releases the hormones over 3 years she got it for free from a clinic in Mexico.

Edited by Francisco101

Thinking of you wherever you are...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Right now we are in the process of researching and choosing a Health Insurance and a safe birth control method.

What health insurance companies do you recommend? Also, why most health insurance companies in the US don't cover pregnancy and giving birth?

From what I understood here is that implanon is non-hormonal. I heard that implanon can cause hair loss and a low sex drive, is that true? Have any of you, who have been on it, experienced any side effects?

Aya

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

From what I understood here is that implanon is non-hormonal. I heard that implanon can cause hair loss and a low sex drive, is that true? Have any of you, who have been on it, experienced any side effects?

Aya

This is something I really want to know... have anyone experienced side effects?? - I know there is no weight gain, but how about everything else?

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Right now we are in the process of researching and choosing a Health Insurance and a safe birth control method.

What health insurance companies do you recommend? Also, why most health insurance companies in the US don't cover pregnancy and giving birth?

Implanon IS hormonal. Here's the info on it: http://www.spfiles.com/piimplanon.pd.pdf and here's the US website about them: http://www.implanon-usa.com/consumer/index.asp?C=92477403549795023148&svarqvp2=0

I've had no weight gain issues. I've definitely not lost any hair and I can't say i've noticed a reduction in sex drive. that said I had it done while in Australia and my then fiance in the US. since being here everything's been normal, and the normal stress associated with the immigration process can be used to explain any lowering of the sex drive. That said, I've not noticed anything different from normal. I LOVE not having a period every month. I love knowing I can't get pregnant and I didn't "forget" a pill. My husband knows that i'm covered and doesn't need to worry about me accidentally getting pregnant. It's just the best solution in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of positive things about IUD's but I'm not not interested in getting one "down there"... not even slightly intrigued.

My husband asked Commonwealth Insurance or whoever they are (a company that can give insurance based on low incomes) because we're both uninsured now. They rejected us because I haven't been here for more than 5 years, and they're also not taking any new customers because of the recession recovery. He can get insurance through his employer but they're asking for $500 a month - which is about 30% of his paycheck! So basically waiting for me to get a good job to cover us.

Makes you realise how much you took health coverage for granted in your home country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
so I am looking into NFP and FAM methods.. I can't commit to those quite yet because it seems so weird and hippish. I don't know many that practice those so it's hard to get a good idea of whether or not they work.

Jewel, I know a woman who has done this for years. She has NEVER been pregnant unless she WANTED to be pregnant. However, you have to be willing to abstain during fertile times or use other protection.

As far as BC goes, go to Wal-mart, ask them to give you the $5.00 list and mark the Birth Control on it. Then talk to your doctor.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.