KG0411

Just Got Married, Now What?

29 posts in this topic

First of all, calm down :) There are instructions with all the forms, read them carefully.

If you legally changed your name when you got married, then that is your new name and you should use it.

What I don't think you are realizing yet is that this application is to become a permanent resident of the US. So it means that "the address you are currently staying at" in the US is NOW HOME.

Sorry, all this is just extremely overwhelming! Thank you for clearing that up :) I assume the same thing goes for the I-130? Thanks so much again! hehehe...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Sorry, all this is just extremely overwhelming! Thank you for clearing that up :) I assume the same thing goes for the I-130? Thanks so much again! hehehe...

yes, be consistent with name and address. Use married name and US address for all forms.

You can enter your maiden name where they ask "other names used"

And yes, calm down, read the instructions for the forms. Read the guides that some have linked you to.

You'll be ok, and if you aren't sure you can always come back here and ask ;)

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

you can stay if you file an adjustment form with your I-130.

odds are you would be fine since you had no intent to stay but will stay.

good luck.

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

yes, be consistent with name and address. Use married name and US address for all forms.

You can enter your maiden name where they ask "other names used"

And yes, calm down, read the instructions for the forms. Read the guides that some have linked you to.

You'll be ok, and if you aren't sure you can always come back here and ask ;)

Ok thank you so much. Now, one more question =) in terms of the petition my husband is filing for me. Does that mean we have to fill out another I-130 form for the CR1 visa, because that visa requires the I-130 along with some other forms, correct? Do I send that package out the same time as my AOS? Thanks :)

Edited by KG0411

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Ok thank you so much. Now, one more question =) in terms of the petition my husband is filing for me. Does that mean we have to fill out another I-130 form for the CR1 visa, because that visa requires the I-130 along with some other forms, correct? Do I send that package out the same time as my AOS? Thanks :)

No, you do one or the other.

If you want to stay here do the AOS, file 130 together with 485.

CR-1 process is for if you are not here yet and your husband wants to bring you here.

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

No, you do one or the other.

If you want to stay here do the AOS, file 130 together with 485.

CR-1 process is for if you are not here yet and your husband wants to bring you here.

oh ok. Thanks for that clarification. Thanks everyone who replied to this thread. You guys have seriously been a huge help!!! Thank you and wish me luck!!! =)

So look at it this way (think as if you were a USCIS officer).

You were hassled previously at the border by CBP because they thought you "might" have intent to stay.

Now you enter on June 5th (a Saturday). You got unexpectantly married. Lets see - depending on where you got married you most likely could not apply for a marriage liscence on a weekend - so you basically got married within 10 days of being able to apply for a liscence.

From a USCIS officer standpoint - would you think that looked a bit fishy?

Just throwing up a warning - you may want to consider filing CR-1 (you can start that now while you are here), and returning to Canada to process the visa. It would be absolutly awful for the two of you if you were denied and banned because they suspected "intent".

It works for some but its no gaurantee. What risk are you willing to take.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

So look at it this way (think as if you were a USCIS officer).

You were hassled previously at the border by CBP because they thought you "might" have intent to stay.

Now you enter on June 5th (a Saturday). You got unexpectantly married. Lets see - depending on where you got married you most likely could not apply for a marriage liscence on a weekend - so you basically got married within 10 days of being able to apply for a liscence.

From a USCIS officer standpoint - would you think that looked a bit fishy?

Just throwing up a warning - you may want to consider filing CR-1 (you can start that now while you are here), and returning to Canada to process the visa. It would be absolutly awful for the two of you if you were denied and banned because they suspected "intent".

It works for some but its no gaurantee. What risk are you willing to take.

Oh please. They don't keep records of "getting hassled" so it's not going to count against them. If they say they had no intent of getting married, then in good faith I believe them. And no offense to the OP, but I think their lack of immigration information shows that they didn't have some evil masterplan in mind when they had a very exciting impromptu wedding. Don't make people paranoid and make the process even worse for them. USCIS.gov says if your spouse is currently in the USA, then you file concurrent I-130/I-485. Enough said.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How do you know that? She stated she was denied entry once, odds are they DO have a record of that.

I agree that we must take this at face value - the intent portion, just pointing out that records are kept, generally, when you are denied entry.

KG0411 - congratulations on your wedding, do read the guides and i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet that you cannot leave the U.S. until you get either your greencard or advance parole, whichever comes first.

Oh please. They don't keep records of "getting hassled" so it's not going to count against them. If they say they had no intent of getting married, then in good faith I believe them. And no offense to the OP, but I think their lack of immigration information shows that they didn't have some evil masterplan in mind when they had a very exciting impromptu wedding. Don't make people paranoid and make the process even worse for them. USCIS.gov says if your spouse is currently in the USA, then you file concurrent I-130/I-485. Enough said.

I'm very happy for the OP and their marriage - its a wonderful thing.

As for you - take your "Oh Please" somewhere else. Since they are apparently very inexperienced they need to be told about ALL the possibilities.

While there have been many succuss stories of people getting married in the US and AOS'ing there are also many who have failed and suffered the horrible consequence. I am simply pointing out the possibilities and chances so they can research and make the best decision.

It would be irresponsible to NOT tell them about the negative possibilities and lead them only down the yellow brick road without telling telling them there is a wicked witch that lives along that path too.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

So, overall with my situation, is it best to take the CR-1 route? I don't want to take the risk of being banned from the US and not be able to see my husband :(

My intent was not to scare you away but to inform you of the potential problems with marrying and filing AOS from the US. It is done frequently with many success and many failures. Ultimatley the decision is yours.

If it was a 100% sure bet I would never have even mentioned it. I am very happy for you and your husband and its awesome that you got married. I was not implying that you did anything wrong - I certainly could not make any judgement as I do not know anything about you. I merely wanted to point out that its not a sure bet and to give you something to research.

If someone didn't point it out and it went the wrong way - then you would have been led down the wrong road without all the necessary information to base your decision.

I hope you didn't take what I said as implying that you did have intent. Often I view posts with the mindset of a interviewing officer - it changes the perspectives. We all think they should approve all of us with no hassles but we must also remember what their job is in the scheme of things.

Wish you the best for a long and wonderful life TOGETHER.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

you need to take some more time to prepare the forms. they require lots of evidence that you are truly married, such as joint bank account statements, etc. and they will take time to obtain. there's no real rush.

So I am new to this site and a friend of mine referred me to it. My husband and I just got married unexpectedly last week. I had entered the states on June 5, 2010 from Canada. There is so much information on this site that I am getting a little confused :wacko: I understand I need to fill out the CR-1/IR-1 Visa forms. What exact forms are included in this? A clear breakdown would be appreciated! Also, when I was at the border, they asked how long I was going to stay here until and I had told them, until October 17, 2010. My question is, am I allowed to stay here until my paperwork is done, or must I leave on October 17, 2010? A friend of mine told me that I could stay while everything is being processed, but if I leave, i can't expect to come back until it is done. Any advice and any feedback would really help! Thanks!

Yes, you can stay while you adjust your status, I come from London, England with my british passport in 07, we got married in 04 and had a son in 05 and in 07 we decided to move to US, I come with visa waiver and i was asked at the airport how long am intending to stay and told them three months and as soon as i got here, I filed I-130 to adjust my status to permanent resident which is what you need to file and the the rest of the form, it took me 6 months to be approved for my work authorisation and my permanent resident.

I know two friends who come from London to visit their boyfriend and married within the 90 days and filed to adjust your status which is really what you should do, all I can advise is make sure your hubby meet the income guideline if he doesnt make sure he has co-sponsor someone who can fill the affidavit of support for you, my husband was staying in UK with me in and out so he didnt have 3 years income to prove that he can support me so his aunty co-sponsor me, another thing i will advice is make sure you keep record of all your communications prior to marriage, if you had e-mails, cards etc keep it as when you go for your interview you can take the documents with you and also all the pictures you took together prior to coming to US and getting married, it just prove to them that you have known each other a lot longer, I will also advice you, to add your name in utilities bills and if he can open a joint bank account it shows that you guys are in committed to each other, other than that just make sure all his paper works are straight, you have your birth certificate and he has his as that delayed me as i was born in Tanzania and I left the country when I was 3to UK and my BC was lost along the way and had no contact with TZ family for a long time but I managed to get one, other than that if you start the process next month by easter next year you should be a permanent resident if your papers are straight and if you decide to go out of country, while you have submitted your I-130 it will be rejected and you will have to start the whole process again and possibily you might not be able to get into country again easily and your husband will have to start the whole process again while you wait in Canada to go to US embassy for the interview and if your not Canadian national you have to go back to the country of your nationality while he start the process all over again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.