KG0411

Just Got Married, Now What?

29 posts in this topic

So I am new to this site and a friend of mine referred me to it. My husband and I just got married unexpectedly last week. I had entered the states on June 5, 2010 from Canada. There is so much information on this site that I am getting a little confused :wacko: I understand I need to fill out the CR-1/IR-1 Visa forms. What exact forms are included in this? A clear breakdown would be appreciated! Also, when I was at the border, they asked how long I was going to stay here until and I had told them, until October 17, 2010. My question is, am I allowed to stay here until my paperwork is done, or must I leave on October 17, 2010? A friend of mine told me that I could stay while everything is being processed, but if I leave, i can't expect to come back until it is done. Any advice and any feedback would really help! Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

a lot depends on yer intent, evaluated at the border crossing.

IF you have no intent to get married, at the border crossing, then there is the POSSIBILITY that you can remain in USA, file for AOS immediately (see http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 )

Now, if you HAD INTENT to get married in USA, at the border crossing, then yer USC spouse should be filing an I-130 to the lockbox in Chicago. At some point, you'll need to return to Canada, go play in Montreal for a week (medical exam and interview) and then get the CR-1 visa stamp in yer passport (see http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 )

or - you can choose to do nothing, for now - enjoy your married life, not worry about US Immigration.

It's all up to you.

And yer USC Spouse ...

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

USCIS IR1/CR-1 CSC

02-24-2010 - I-130 Sent: February 24th, 2010

06-17-2010 - NOA2

Your I-130 was APPROVED in 107 days from your NOA1 date.

06-24-2010 - NVC Case Number Assigned

08-24-2010 - Sign in Fail - Case COMPLETE in 60 days

10-27-2010 - INTERVIEW Riyadh

11-27-2010 - VISA issued

01-06-2011 - POE JFK

01-27-2011 - Welcome letter

01-28-2011 - Green came via Priority mail

01-06-2011 - GC Issue Date

02-05-2011 - GC Received

02-10-2011 - Applied for SSN at local office

02-19-2011 - SSN Received by mail

10-06-2012 (?) - GC Extend Date

01-06-2013 - GC Expires Date

We had no intent to get married when I entered the states. They had given me a hassle and denied me entry once because they thought I had no intention of returning home. I came back and provided the papers I need to prove I was going to go back. Since the marriage was unexpected, how do I know if I am eligible to stay while the papers are being processed? As stated in that link you provided, in the warning box, it says that if I attempt to file and do not qualify, my legal status in the states will be in jeopardy. Does that mean if I get denied, I automatically get sent back to Canada or does that mean I have to go back on October 17, 2010? How long does that process even take? If I get denied before I am supposed to go back (October 17, 2010) does that mean I leave right away? How would I know if I do qualify then? :wacko:

Under the download forms, each link gives the same set of forms. Which one do I download?

If you are in the US now, then you can apply for adjustment of status, the concurrent I-130/I-485 that people are linking you to. You can stay in the US while the application is pending, although you cannot work until you get your work permit which takes about 3 months.

There are two main forms, the I-130 and the I-485, and then there are related forms (think the I-130 and I-485 are like umbrellas with some other forms underneath them). Just start by familiarzing yourself with the forms, and good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

a lot depends on yer intent, evaluated at the border crossing.

IF you have no intent to get married, at the border crossing, then there is the POSSIBILITY that you can remain in USA, file for AOS immediately (see http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 )

Now, if you HAD INTENT to get married in USA, at the border crossing, then yer USC spouse should be filing an I-130 to the lockbox in Chicago. At some point, you'll need to return to Canada, go play in Montreal for a week (medical exam and interview) and then get the CR-1 visa stamp in yer passport (see http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 )

or - you can choose to do nothing, for now - enjoy your married life, not worry about US Immigration.

It's all up to you.

And yer USC Spouse ...

Good Luck !

you said apply for the AOS right away? That's the I-485 form, correct? What reason would I chose under that form? Also, do I mail that in first? Or, do I mail in the whole application together?

Edited by KG0411

If you are in the US now, then you can apply for adjustment of status, the concurrent I-130/I-485 that people are linking you to. You can stay in the US while the application is pending, although you cannot work until you get your work permit which takes about 3 months.

There are two main forms, the I-130 and the I-485, and then there are related forms (think the I-130 and I-485 are like umbrellas with some other forms underneath them). Just start by familiarzing yourself with the forms, and good luck!

So, I just go ahead and send in the I-485 first? What reason do I check off in that form? Then do I wait to see if I get approved, then send in the I-130 forms?

Edited by KG0411

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So, I just go ahead and send in the I-485 first? What reason do I check off in that form? Then do I wait to see if I get approved, then send in the I-130 forms?

No, send the i-130 together with i-485. check reason 'a' on part 2 of form i-485.

Just be ready for them to question your intent when entering the US. They may not ask, but be ready.

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

No, send the i-130 together with i-485. check reason 'a' on part 2 of form i-485.

Just be ready for them to question your intent when entering the US. They may not ask, but be ready.

Ok so just those two forms first right? What do you mean by be ready for them to question me when I enter? I am already in the US :wacko: Sorry for all the questions! This process is just so confusing!! Also, when filling out the forms, do I now use my married last name? And in the I-485, do I use the US address I am staying at, or my home address?

Edited by KG0411

Also, on the I-485 form, it as for the I-94 information. I was not issued an I-94 when I entered the states, what do I do?

Timeline

Ok so just those two forms first right? What do you mean by be ready for them to question me when I enter? I am already in the US :wacko: Sorry for all the questions! This process is just so confusing!! Also, when filling out the forms, do I now use my married last name? And in the I-485, do I use the US address I am staying at, or my home address?

Sorry for being unclear. :blush: yes I know you already entered.

I meant later on in the immigration process, be ready for USCIS to ask about your intent when you entered (past tense)the US.

I say this because you got married relatively soon after arriving here.

Yes, file just the 2 forms (130 and 485)

If you would like to get work authorization while waiting (thats i-765) and permission to travel/advance parole (i-131), you can file these forms together with 485 and 130 also.

Not necessary, can take a few months for these to be approved themselves, but can be nice to have.

Hehheh.. hope I didn't confuse you any further ;)

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

Also, on the I-485 form, it as for the I-94 information. I was not issued an I-94 when I entered the states, what do I do?

from you location, I'm assuming you are a canadian citizen. Most canadian here have reported writing down:

'none/Canadian' where it asks for I-94 information.

You can also do a search on the canadian specific forum to ask what the other members have done.

Sorry for being unclear. :blush: yes I know you already entered.

I meant later on in the immigration process, be ready for USCIS to ask about your intent when you entered (past tense)the US.

I say this because you got married relatively soon after arriving here.

Yes, file just the 2 forms (130 and 485)

If you would like to get work authorization while waiting (thats i-765) and permission to travel/advance parole (i-131), you can file these forms together with 485 and 130 also.

Not necessary, can take a few months for these to be approved themselves, but can be nice to have.

Hehheh.. hope I didn't confuse you any further ;)

Oh okay now I understand! hehehe! Also, when filling out the forms, do I now use my married last name? And in the I-485, do I use the US address I am staying at, or my home address? Thanks so much for your patience! It's really helping me out a lot! :yes:

Edited by KG0411

Oh okay now I understand! hehehe! Also, when filling out the forms, do I now use my married last name? And in the I-485, do I use the US address I am staying at, or my home address? Thanks so much for your patience! It's really helping me out a lot! :yes:

First of all, calm down :) There are instructions with all the forms, read them carefully.

If you legally changed your name when you got married, then that is your new name and you should use it.

What I don't think you are realizing yet is that this application is to become a permanent resident of the US. So it means that "the address you are currently staying at" in the US is NOW HOME.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.