sjr09

Sheriff Calls in ICE in Wake of Oil Spill

43 posts in this topic

LA Sheriff Calls in ICE in Wake of Oil Spill

A sheriff in New Orleans, Louisiana has asked Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to investigate reports that illegal aliens have been hired to work on the British Petroleum (BP) oil spill cleanup effort. (<A href="http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GULF_OIL_SPILL_IMMIGRANTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-06-09-13-45-54">Associated Press, June 9, 2010). St. Bernard Parish Sheriff Jack A. Stephens says “We’re not worried about people who want to earn an honest buck. But from the beginning we have been concerned about criminal elements coming into this area with the intention of establishing criminal enterprises.” (St. Bernard Sheriff's Office News Release, June 10, 2010). ICE spokesman Brian Hale said the agency has not conducted any worksite enforcement at the request of local officials and has not made any arrests, but later reports state that federal immigration agents visited Louisiana oil spill command centers to check workers’ immigration status. (ColorLines Magazine, June 9, 2010).

Sheriff Stephens is concerned that the situation will escalate as it did in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when criminals posing as immigrant workers flooded into the area. Stephens wants to avoid such a scenario, stating, “We’re concerned illegal aliens with criminal records represent a danger to our parish.” (St. Bernard Sheriff's Office News Release, June 10, 2010). The Sheriff’s Office set up checkpoints throughout the areas affected by the oil spill and has been working with law enforcement agencies from throughout coastal Louisiana on a credentialing system for employees of BP subcontractors being sent in for clean-up efforts. Although BP is responsible for ensuring its subcontracting employees undergo background checks to look for criminal records, Stephens asked ICE weeks ago to provide assistance “because that agency has the resources to find out whether someone might have criminal records in other countries or gang affiliations.” Id

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Wacky priorities or too much Faux News sounds like to me.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I don't think considering all aspects of your job, including crime prevention, constitutes whacky priorities. Nothing in the article suggests that the Sherrif is not doing other things or that this is on the top of his list of things he's focusing on, so, again, I don't see how this would be considered whacky priorities.

It's actually a very responsible step to take. The city learned from what happened when the "road home" began nearly 5 years ago. Good for the Sherrif that he's pursuing all steps to prevent something like it happening again.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't think considering all aspects of your job, including crime prevention, constitutes whacky priorities. Nothing in the article suggests that the Sherrif is not doing other things or that this is on the top of his list of things he's focusing on, so, again, I don't see how this would be considered whacky priorities.

It's actually a very responsible step to take. The city learned from what happened when the "road home" began nearly 5 years ago. Good for the Sherrif that he's pursuing all steps to prevent something like it happening again.

As is becoming the norm...local government is forced to do what the Feds don't. The Feds do nothing to stop the exploitation of illegal aliens. Now I guess some contractors will stuff their pockets full of money (our tax money) by employing illegals, working them far past any legal wage and hour limits, paying them far under minimum wage, not contributing to payroll taxes and not providing basic safety equipment to protect them from toxic chemicals. And Democraats will prefer THAT to checking their ID. What a bunch of racist pigs!

By the way, Obama coul dstop the oil leak today. A 20,000 pound MOAB detonated over the well site would shut it off immediately. Instead the @sshole will use this as a way to tax us further. Obama couldn;t possible care less what happens to the environment, it is just an excuse for more taxes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

By the way, Obama coul dstop the oil leak today. A 20,000 pound MOAB detonated over the well site would shut it off immediately. Instead the @sshole will use this as a way to tax us further. Obama couldn;t possible care less what happens to the environment, it is just an excuse for more taxes.

TinFoilHatPootie.jpg

Timeline

Says who?

The Russians have done it in undersea operations on 13 ocassions, for what they refer to as "petrocatastrophy", it worked on the first try all but once. One leak required two blasts andt they even considered using a nuclear weapon, but it wasn't necessary. It is also a known technique for shutting off a gusher on land. The only ones with a bomb powerful enough is the government and that will be the technique eventually used to turn it off. AFTER Obama gets his tax passed.

Gary And Alla

The Russians have done it in undersea operations on 13 ocassions, for what they refer to as "petrocatastrophy", it worked on the first try all but once. One leak required two blasts andt they even considered using a nuclear weapon, but it wasn't necessary.

link?

Filed: Timeline
The Russians have done it in undersea operations on 13 ocassions, for what they refer to as "petrocatastrophy", it worked on the first try all but once. One leak required two blasts andt they even considered using a nuclear weapon, but it wasn't necessary.

Do you have some source for this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do you have some source for this?

Here you go: http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0504/russian-paper-suggests-nuclear-explosion-cut-gulf-oil-geyser/

It is funny to watch all the "experts" on the oil industry now when they sound utterly stupid about something that 99% of the population knows nothing about.

Timeline

Here you go: http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0504/russian-paper-suggests-nuclear-explosion-cut-gulf-oil-geyser/

It is funny to watch all the "experts" on the oil industry now when they sound utterly stupid about something that 99% of the population knows nothing about.

Thanks but I usually don't waste my time searching for links for the clueless. I sought out my own education. Russia has done this several more times using massive "conventional" warheads, like our 20,000 pound MOAB normally dropped out of C-130's. It is virtually fool proof and would have negligible impact on the environment (except in the immediate area) and even then at a mile deep little effect. The well would be turned off immediately. The technique was also used to turn off many of the burning oil wells after the 1st gulf war, many months in advance of what was predicted by the experts. That experience showed us many new techniques to deal with blowouts and fires. A Massive shock wave directly above the well will no doubt collapse enough rock and debris to close off the gusher. The device can be lowered into a tube placed over the well to prevent the pressure from moving the bomb to one side. Ths is exactly the technique used in Iraq. Worked perfectly in nearly every case. Why would anyone that considers dumping golf balls on this a viable solution even doubt that a massive explosion would work?

:wow:

Beyond day 3, this was ALL Obama's.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks but I usually don't waste my time searching for links for the clueless. I sought out my own education. Russia has done this several more times using massive "conventional" warheads, like our 20,000 pound MOAB normally dropped out of C-130's. It is virtually fool proof and would have negligible impact on the environment (except in the immediate area) and even then at a mile deep little effect. The well would be turned off immediately. The technique was also used to turn off many of the burning oil wells after the 1st gulf war, many months in advance of what was predicted by the experts. That experience showed us many new techniques to deal with blowouts and fires. A Massive shock wave directly above the well will no doubt collapse enough rock and debris to close off the gusher. The device can be lowered into a tube placed over the well to prevent the pressure from moving the bomb to one side. Ths is exactly the technique used in Iraq. Worked perfectly in nearly every case. Why would anyone that considers dumping golf balls on this a viable solution even doubt that a massive explosion would work?

Getting people to seek things out is usually a tough one. Laziness is a prime reason why our society is in the ####### hole it keeps digging itself into. It's a lot easier to listen to your friend/TV anchor, then it is to look up things for yourself.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Has this been done in a deepwater well or land well? Has it been done in areas where there are other oil wells less than a mile away? Has it been done in areas like the Gulf of Mexico with a lot of shale & salt formations under the seabed?

If your $2 idea is the answer to a billion dollar disaster, you would be once heckuva rich dude. And it also amazes me that people like you think Government should not regulate business, but be ready to clean up when big business make a mess. And oh yeah, since ya'll dont want to pay taxes, the government should clean it up using magic beans :rolleyes:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Has this been done in a deepwater well or land well? Has it been done in areas where there are other oil wells less than a mile away? Has it been done in areas like the Gulf of Mexico with a lot of shale & salt formations under the seabed?

If your $2 idea is the answer to a billion dollar disaster, you would be once heckuva rich dude. And it also amazes me that people like you think Government should not regulate business, but be ready to clean up when big business make a mess. And oh yeah, since ya'll dont want to pay taxes, the government should clean it up using magic beans :rolleyes:

If you would read the link then you would know the answer to your question. Also if you would like to compare who paid the most taxes last year, I would be happy to compare with you. No one said the government shouldn't regulate business and no one said anything about not paying taxes.

Timeline

Yes, it has been used in deepwater wells. It takes more bang for those. Surface wells have been turned off with relatively small charges of dynamite. Red Adair was doing it for years before he died. Too bad we don't have him around anymore, eh?

The rest of your post is excuses for Obama's lack of...anything. It is not a $2 idea, it is well known. Oil companies are not allowed to pack around MOABs, sorry. It will HAVE to be the government that does this. They know about it, it has been briefed to them. The Russians did it 40+ years ago, then found out nukes weren't even needed.

It will eventually be used to stop the well. Nothing else will work, Obama knows it, BP knows it and now you know it.

Funny how before I was just the guy getting signals from outer space and now you squirm to make excuses.

What would be wrong with the government using one of their bombs to shut down the oil well? Maybe just try it, eh? What harm will it do?

Gary And Alla