MelissaJulian

K1 and honeymoon

148 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi there -- someone just told me that K1 visa holders can't have their honeymoon outside of the US. Is this true? Only my fiancé and I were planning to go to St. Barts for two weeks and if this is true I guess we will need to find another place to go to. :crying: I just wanted to make sure before I tell him and we start looking for somewhere else. :(

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

Filed: Country:
Timeline

K-1 Visa is good for single entry to the US only. Until you've filed AOS (Adjustment of Status) and have AP (Advance Parole) in hand there is no way for her to re-enter the US. If she leaves the US before AOS then she will need a new CR-1 Visa to re-enter. If she leaves during AOS processing without AP then her AOS is considered adandoned.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, that is true. Since the K-1 is only good for one single entry. After that, you should apply for advance parole (which might also take weeks or months) or just wait for your green card until you can leave the country.

Maybe you should think about going to Hawaii... or any other US Islands (Virgin etc.). :thumbs:

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

Timeline

This can't possibly be correct. Are you saying the US Government expects me to just stay in-country until they finish all their greedcard filing? Here I thought your government was trying to get all the foreigners out, and now they're saying I can't leave? Absolutely barmy. Can somebody post a source for this? I can't imagine spending our honeymoon anywhere in the US.

"It has been suggested that we'll squander the sponsors' money on wine, women and song. That is not true. We don't do a lot of singing here at Portman Road" - Ipswich Town owner John Cobbold

You don't have to use the K-1 if you don't like their regulations...

Besides, you can always honeymoon a couple of weeks later, just apply for AP and you can go wherever you like..

Offical source

Can a K-1 Visa Holder Leave the United States?

The K-1 visa allows a fiancé(e) to enter the United States one time only. If you leave the United States after entering on a K-1 visa, you may not re-enter on the same visa. If you want to leave and re-enter the United States, you should apply with Form I-131 Application for Travel Document to the USCIS office that serves the area where you live for advance parole to return to the United States. See Emergency Travel for information on how to get a travel document that allows you to return to the United States.

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

This can't possibly be correct. Are you saying the US Government expects me to just stay in-country until they finish all their greedcard filing? Here I thought your government was trying to get all the foreigners out, and now they're saying I can't leave? Absolutely barmy. Can somebody post a source for this? I can't imagine spending our honeymoon anywhere in the US.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/TravelAdvisory100406.pdf

Hi there -- someone just told me that K1 visa holders can't have their honeymoon outside of the US. Is this true? Only my fiancé and I were planning to go to St. Barts for two weeks and if this is true I guess we will need to find another place to go to. :crying: I just wanted to make sure before I tell him and we start looking for somewhere else. :(

Is my recollection incorrect or did you not, Melissa, ask a question a few weeks ago about Julian traveling back home for business?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Are you saying the US Government expects me to just stay in-country until they finish all their greedcard filing?

Yes, because if you were to leave whilst having a Resident Card in progress, how would you get back in? That's why they let you have the Advanced Parole (which you get within 4-8 weeks of applying for your GC), so that you can use it to travel abroad whilst they're making a decision.

It's on Wikipedia:

Once the adjustment of status application is accepted, the alien is allowed to stay in the United States even if the original period of authorized stay on the Form I-94 is expired, but he is not allowed to leave the country until the application is approved or rejected. If the alien has to leave the United States during this time, he/she can apply for travel documents at the USCIS with form I-131, also called Advance Parole.

And on the USCIS site (under Processes/Procedures for a GC and then under Travel):

Advance parole is most commonly used when someone has Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, pending. If you depart the U.S. while your I-485 application is pending without first obtaining advance parole, your case will be denied unless you fit into a narrow exception for those maintaining certain nonimmigrant statuses.

Julian -

Have YOU read the Guides here on VJ regarding this process?

Because it's a good idea for BOTH people to have at least a nuts-and-bolts understanding of the process.

Is my recollection incorrect or did you not, Melissa, ask a question a few weeks ago about Julian traveling back home for business?

Quoting myself here because I thought I had gone mad. The topic was addressed in this thread.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/256485-working-before-the-ead-for-a-non-us-company/page__p__3938391entry3938391

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Leaving the US is not the issue. Re-entering the US is what needs to be addressed. K1 is single use. Advance Parole is what's needed to re-enter the US while the Adjustment of Status is processing. The guides here on VJ can be quite helpful.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Sorry, keep trying to reply but I am posting and reading from my Blackberry in a meeting and the reception is bad and everything is loading slowly.

Sorry Johnny, I completely forgot about that question! I think I was also confused about the difference between AP and emergency AP. Can I get emergency AP for a honeymoon? That's probably a stupid question. I know my fiancé has a very strong opinion about having to honeymoon in Hawaii so it is probably not going to be there.

Julian honey, I'm sure we'll figure something out! ;)

Sorry again. :(

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

absolutely true! you can have a quick honeymoon and then plan one outside of the US

We can all make a difference. Please recycle

por favor no escribas en mayúsculas sostenidas, eso equivale a GRITAR

crazy-cats.jpg

I'm quite surprised with all your disposable income, that you two have not at least consulted an attorney. Not trying to be snarky here.

Then, I'm surprised that one or both of you are not taking this seriously enough to actually research yourselves, if you insist on going it alone. The UK forum is not going to spoon feed either of you this visa, someone needs to take some responsibility here.

Edit to fix a typo.

Edited by Happy Bunny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.