worldpeace

Me: Permanent resident; Her: Illegal

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I will try to keep this as simple as possible but with as much detail as possible.

Currently I'm a permanent green card holder and this year in December i will apply for citizenship. I met my girlfriend aprox. 1 year ago when she was divorced from her husband. Her story is simple and complicated at the same time. Came here on a student visa for the work & travel program, met a guy and got married, so she never went back home. Well shortly after, her ex-husband decided marriage was not for him and chose to divorce her. Prior to that they send the application to USCIS and their case got the pending status and a receipt of action was issued. in the meantime he decided he wanted to divorce and when USCIS asked for their evidences, he refused to send any, got divorced so her adjustment of status got denied, obviously. She filed an appeal, which i believe was a mistake(waste of money), and also sent a letter of explanation. The appeal got denied of course and as of that moment she became illegal(we believe). After all that mess was consumed she met me and we've been together ever since. i did not reject her because of her status because she is a human being a very good person. I want to marry her not because i'm sympathetic to her past situation but because we love eachother and want to start a family together. I am however very concerned about a few things, so here i am asking more experienced people what I need to do: 1. Can she adjust her status through me, even though I'm just a permanent resident for the moment or should we wait until I get my citizenship? 2. Does she have any chances to adjust her status in the first place since she already had her previous case denied because of absence of evidence from her previous marriage? 3. Can I get in trouble if for some reason she gets arrested, for being "involved" with an illegal? I would like to add, if it makes any difference, that neither one of has any criminal record, our driving records are clean and we have tons of evidence of our relationship. your helpful responses are very much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have no idea about any of it, but WAIT until you have your citizenship. Then, hire a lawyer. Don't rush into marriage until you're all set with citizenship and all. Really, don't do it. If your love for each other is real, then you both can wait.

I'll be honest and say it looks REALLY bad for her. REALLY REALLY BAD. That's why I said get a lawyer. Just take care of yourself first and finish up your process & secure your citizenship before getting involved with hers.

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have thought she would be in deportation hearings by now, you might want to check.

All she can do is keep her head down, you would have to be a Citizen to make any impact.

Or you could move to her or your country.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you for your suggestions. Getting my citizenship first was on my mind as well. Moving out of the country is not on the list, I have a lot of responsibilities here plus if there is a chance we could be together here, I'm willing to take up on it.

When her case was denied first time, she received a letter stating she has 30 days for an appeal, if not she would have to leave the country on her own. Nothing mentioned about deportation. She appealed, got denied again but the second time nothing was mentioned about her having to leave. Assuming that she is indeed under deportation procedure, how hard would it be for us after i obtain my citizenship?

You will probably have to do a hardship wavier. Since we don't know what country she is from it is hard to say what your chances are.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Other Timeline

Before we get into specifics, let me clear something up, for everyone, 'cause it's such a common misconception.

If your girlfriend entered with a visa, which she did, but overstayed, she is out of status. If she entered without inspection, she is illegal. What's the difference? An illegal cannot adjust status, an out-of-status visitor or student can.

Why?

Because it's not a crime or even misdemeanor to be out of status. Say what? Yes, it's illegal to cross the border without inspection, but it's not illegal to overstay. The up-and-coming Arizona law is the first one that will make it a crime to be illegal in the state of Arizona. On any other state or Federal level such a law does not exist! For that reason people who overstay are not put in front of a judge, read their rights, charged with a crime, and sentenced to jail. They are just being removed like people who demonstrate and block the entrance to a building.

Another comparison. If you come home and some strange guy is in your house, he's guilty of breaking and entering. If you invited him to stay and he's just getting annoying, you ask him to leave and he leaves, he's guilty of nothing.

Now, let's look at your case. Under the aforementioned circumstances, your GF (or fiance) should have no problems to file for AOS. There is one caveat, however: since her appeal was denied it is possible that removal proceedings were initiated. You need to find that out! Secondly, yes, you should really wait until you become a US citizen, and she should try to keep a low profile and stay out of trouble under any circumstances. Which brings us to caveat number two. If you now learn that she is being ordered removed, and you guys live together, you are in a jamb. In order to stay out of trouble you need to find out without finding out yourself, if you catch my drift, as this may become an issue at your N-400 interview.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You will probably have to do a hardship wavier. Since we don't know what country she is from it is hard to say what your chances are.

She is from the Philippines.

JustBob, We will try to find out if she is under removal procedures and get back to you. If she is what does it mean? Will they be looking for her at work to arrest her? She doesn't live at the address on her USCIS record. That's her ex's address.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If she was ordered removed but didn't, then you could enter into the realm of deportation absconder (depending on the circumstances). File and FOIA request (Freedom on Information Act) and find out if there are any orders against her.

Consult a qualified immigration attorney. Laurel Scott is fantastic - scottimmigration.net. She also has free immigration chats on Wednesdays

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She has work authorisation?

You did not mention that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I called that 1-800-898-7180 number this morning, supposed to be some court system that handles deportations and stuff like that over the whole US, i entered her A# there and they had no record of it. She doesn't have a work permit, it got denied with the petition for AOS first time. She's been working with her social security only, paying taxes and everything.

Is it her SS#, because her SS card would have this statement on it, "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization". If her employer has hired her without checking for the EAD card, then they themselves have set themselves up for trouble.

OK, correction, you meant Phil passport, not US passport as proof of ID. Did she come on a F1 student visa, exactly what does the wording of the second denial say?

How long ago this all of this taken place, has it just been over a year?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, correction, you meant Phil passport, not US passport as proof of ID. Did she come on a F1 student visa, exactly what does the wording of the second denial say?

How long ago this all of this taken place, has it just been over a year?

Sorry took so long to come back, been madly busy. She came on a J1 student visa. The second denial says her petition has been denied because they didn't submit any evidences. Says nothing about her having to leave the country and all this happened about 1 year ago. I have decided to wait until i get citizenship, get married, hire a lawyer and apply. We have overwhelming evidences, from bills, trips together, pictures with my family, been living together etc. They should base her second AOS application based on the current marriage, not a past one right?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I think that, just looking at your case together, she should be able to adjust status through you.

An immigration lawyer once told me that overstaying a visa is usually forgiven.

Although..I don't know how much a previously denied case affects a new one

But what I want to point out is I would also tend to be worried about her continuing to work while unauthorized to do so.

Is she still a student and is she working on campus?

To my knowledge that is the only place a foreign student is allowed to work without supplemental work authorization.

My SS card has the same exact thing on it, and the only thing that would allow me to work off campus is if I had EAD (which would be the DHS autorization it's referring to)

If this is not the case, I really don't think she should continue working.

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.