wallyimmi

vawa interview went horribly wrong

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

we know that the law is written to apply to spouses, but the truth is, as i said, there is a double standard in enforcement.

even so, your wife just doesn't want to be with you. this is not extreme cruelty.

"if i would come back into the house she would call the cops on me"...

it appears as though you two were not even living together when she sent you e-mail:

"i have a ton of e-mails where my wife threatened me to to seriously hurt me and get me deported and divorce me so that i get deported"

from your report, it looks as though you moved out, one way or another, before any kind of threat was made. relief from immigration statute in such cases is not what VAWA is for. VAWA is for people who were subject to abuse within the confines of the cohabitive relationship, and who left because of the violence in the cohabitation became unendurable.

incidently, persons who have truely been subject to serious psychological and physical abuse are rarely concerned about extraneous things like status. they are too busy trying to figure out what they did to deserve such treatment, and how they can arrange to get back together with the person who was abusing them. if they could only just be a good enough person, or do the right things, or make their spouse happy...the first step in helping a victim of real abuse is convincing them that it's not their fault. this takes a long time, sometimes years. only then can they move on with their lives.

i see no evidence that you have been through this process. this is typical of VAWA cases we see reported here. the victim is always busy pointing the finger at the USC, when a genuine victim of abuse would not be able to do so.

Edited by justashooter

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Look at the I-751 instructions.... It says:

3. You entered the marriage in good faith and have remained married, but you have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by your US citizen or permanent resident spouse.

It does not say US citizen HUSBAND. This provision of the law applies for either men or women not just women

thank you payxibka. this is exactly right!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

i see that you joined this discussion group on May 30, and that you have no posts other than those in this thread. perhaps you had another user name before this one?

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Wow... such bias in this thread.

Troll or not.

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, the lawyer failed during the interview, on one point - and that was -

to ask for the supervisor, and complain right there, in front of the supervisor and the IO.

Can't change that, for now, but... there it is.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why did the OP go the VAWA route to begin with?

He could have simply divorced and filed as divorced.

What he described is emotional abuse and it is the hardest one to prove.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Other Country: Cameroon
Timeline

it's called the "violence against women act". what part of that do you not understand?

there is a double standard in USA in regard to spousal violence. that being said, your story as told in the first post wouldn't convince me, and it's only your side.

Very well stated, I could not have said it better....

he dares critizes our system...he probably got a free lawyer...ummmmm....

Filed: Timeline

In response to your question

It seem like you have not provide more details about your case.

Did you apply for vawa first and get approove before going for you interview for remooving conditions?

Because if you were already been approve they shouldn't have ask you questions about your VAWA.

Second did they send you a letter saying your case was denied?

If so you can still appeal.

Give us more details so we can help you.

• 2 months later...

hello all, i just wanted to let you all know that my vawa petition was approved despite the horrible interview experience. i cannot even express how relieved i am and that i finally get to move on with my life. justice has finally prevailed and i am grateful to the lord. thank you. i hope that i will never EVER have to deal with this woman again. thank you all and good luck to you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hey - congratulations !

hopefully you can 'write a bit', here, for 'what happened since 4 June 2010' ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

hello everyone. i am hoping for some words of advice. i am a victim of domestic abuse and just had my vawa interview to remove my conditions. it went horribly wrong. i had the same IO my wife and i had last year for the regular interview. he asked what happened and i told him. i also stated that i was worried about my immigration status and he said that i did not mention this last year during the interview and that looked like fraud for him. my lawyer and i could not believe it. because i said that i was worried about my "status" he said this is fraudulant. WHY in the hell would I try to have my conditions removed when i was NOT worried? isn't everyone? i have a ton of e-mails where my wife threatened me to to seriously hurt me and get me deported and divorce me so that i get deported. i have a clinical psychologist write an affidavit of support in regards to my condition, photos of scratches across my body that my wife did, notes that my wife wrote stating that if i would come back into the house she would call the cops on me, and, and, and. i am pretty sure that my case will be denied and i am horrified. i'm a good person and have never done anything wrong. this guy said it was his first abuse case, so how can he know what the requirements are? he didn't even study my file at all. just looked through it as my lawyer and i were sitting there! she had to tell him to look for the threatening e-mails she sent me, he didn't even know they were in my file. i'm horrofied! i guess my question is, what can I do if my petition is denied? i cannot believe this. all the ####### i had to go through with my wife, this guy slapped me in the face like she did so many times. belitteling me and basically saying that i'm a lier and am not an honest person. this guy is a grumpy old guy that ruins other people's life because he has none. i'm just so at a loss, that my petition will probably be denied. that IS the reason why victims of abuse do NOT come forward because of guys like he is. i feel even more embarrased and ashamed because i'm a man and this guy just slapped me in the face big time. if any of you had a similar experience or knows what more i can do, i would appreciate it. the anxiety i'm going through right now is beyond belief. i find it ridiciolous that people like this IO screw your life up when they have NO clue what they are doing. thank you all.

The problem is that there have been a rash of false vawa claims where the US citizen spouse is literally held hostage by an immigrant spouse claiming abuse.I did not hear that your petition would be denied but you have to understand that alot of men are pulling this to get out of staying in a marriage that they faked to begin with. Until you have been threatened by someone desperate to get papers and who will destroy anyone in their reach to do so, you cant imagine what its like to be on the other side, the US citizen side , faced by a manipulative hateful immigrant spouse who literally plotted to get here.. and then is plotting to get their papers by any means necessary. Until you have had a grown man threaten you as a woman with calling the police when THEY are the one who broke your things and battered you, you could never understand the US citizens side. The IOs are seeing alot of women falling victim to this. You need to ask yourself why you did not just go back home and call it a day. You came over here to be with her... It didnt work out.. Why are you staying? I mean it sounds very plotting if you ask me

In response to your question

It seem like you have not provide more details about your case.

Did you apply for vawa first and get approove before going for you interview for remooving conditions?

Because if you were already been approve they shouldn't have ask you questions about your VAWA.

Second did they send you a letter saying your case was denied?

If so you can still appeal.

Give us more details so we can help you.

Sounds like they had their interview for removing conditions.. She did it and then shortly afterwards she pulled the case... probably due to the way he was acting.. then he went the vawa route. I am not buying a minute of it...

Why did the OP go the VAWA route to begin with?

He could have simply divorced and filed as divorced.

What he described is emotional abuse and it is the hardest one to prove.

I think there is more to the story...I think somehow wifey pulled the papers because he was unkind to her.. and didnt feel safe around him. I am not buying much of this.. sounds like a fake vawa ploy.. He sounded more interested in hurting her than resolving this peacefully ,most women if you are kind will help you in the end finish up if you were fair and kind

we know that the law is written to apply to spouses, but the truth is, as i said, there is a double standard in enforcement.

even so, your wife just doesn't want to be with you. this is not extreme cruelty.

"if i would come back into the house she would call the cops on me"...

it appears as though you two were not even living together when she sent you e-mail:

"i have a ton of e-mails where my wife threatened me to to seriously hurt me and get me deported and divorce me so that i get deported"

from your report, it looks as though you moved out, one way or another, before any kind of threat was made. relief from immigration statute in such cases is not what VAWA is for. VAWA is for people who were subject to abuse within the confines of the cohabitive relationship, and who left because of the violence in the cohabitation became unendurable.

incidently, persons who have truely been subject to serious psychological and physical abuse are rarely concerned about extraneous things like status. they are too busy trying to figure out what they did to deserve such treatment, and how they can arrange to get back together with the person who was abusing them. if they could only just be a good enough person, or do the right things, or make their spouse happy...the first step in helping a victim of real abuse is convincing them that it's not their fault. this takes a long time, sometimes years. only then can they move on with their lives.

i see no evidence that you have been through this process. this is typical of VAWA cases we see reported here. the victim is always busy pointing the finger at the USC, when a genuine victim of abuse would not be able to do so.

That is for sure. I was horribly abused by my immigrant spouse, both emotionally and physically and the last thing I thought of doing was pulling his papers... It was more what can I do to make him happy because its got to be my fault. Incidentally women from his culture saw him battering me and his mother knew he did it too and he did it in front of different family members and no one condemned him for it. We had a tragedy happpen to us early in his time here so I felt like if I was better to him or tried harder,, I needed to forgive him, he didnt understand etc...

He has threatened to call the police on me, claim fake abuse, he has recorded me and he has threatened to take my belongings. I am the US citizen. I am struggling to get out of the relationship. I let him get his greencard because I was terrified not to because he threatened ####### like this guy did to his wife. Shes alot luckier than some of us. My only saving grace is my aunt and my mother are pitt bulls. If they could have already had him arrested they would. Hes got his 10 year papers, I think I will be out of this soon... There is alot of this fake vawa ####### going on. They teach these idiots this now

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

hello everyone. i am hoping for some words of advice. i am a victim of domestic abuse and just had my vawa interview to remove my conditions. it went horribly wrong. i had the same IO my wife and i had last year for the regular interview. he asked what happened and i told him. i also stated that i was worried about my immigration status and he said that i did not mention this last year during the interview and that looked like fraud for him. my lawyer and i could not believe it. because i said that i was worried about my "status" he said this is fraudulant. WHY in the hell would I try to have my conditions removed when i was NOT worried? isn't everyone? i have a ton of e-mails where my wife threatened me to to seriously hurt me and get me deported and divorce me so that i get deported. i have a clinical psychologist write an affidavit of support in regards to my condition, photos of scratches across my body that my wife did, notes that my wife wrote stating that if i would come back into the house she would call the cops on me, and, and, and. i am pretty sure that my case will be denied and i am horrified. i'm a good person and have never done anything wrong. this guy said it was his first abuse case, so how can he know what the requirements are? he didn't even study my file at all. just looked through it as my lawyer and i were sitting there! she had to tell him to look for the threatening e-mails she sent me, he didn't even know they were in my file. i'm horrofied! i guess my question is, what can I do if my petition is denied? i cannot believe this. all the ####### i had to go through with my wife, this guy slapped me in the face like she did so many times. belitteling me and basically saying that i'm a lier and am not an honest person. this guy is a grumpy old guy that ruins other people's life because he has none. i'm just so at a loss, that my petition will probably be denied. that IS the reason why victims of abuse do NOT come forward because of guys like he is. i feel even more embarrased and ashamed because i'm a man and this guy just slapped me in the face big time. if any of you had a similar experience or knows what more i can do, i would appreciate it. the anxiety i'm going through right now is beyond belief. i find it ridiciolous that people like this IO screw your life up when they have NO clue what they are doing. thank you all.

I would like to know what happen with your case, because I am a men with a vawa approved and i will have the interview next month. Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.