Susita

Puerto Ricans are Citizens

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Do people still live on Midway? I thought by the 1980's it was effectively empty.

empty or not, if they left, they are still US citizens. There was an Air Force base there that was the main source of human population, I do not know if it is still there. It is still a US territory.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Why are you being obtuse? There is a big difference in people under a certain income not paying tax versus none paying any tax at all.

How? People in territories, and there used to be a lot more territories, Hawaii and Alaska being the last to become states in 1959, do not pay income tax. It is constitutional. If someone wants to toss the constitution and our founding prinicpals of "no taxation without representation" then say so and you will understand the difference. Territories do not have voting representatives in Congress and as such are not subject to taxes. Alaska was a territory for nearly 100 years, Hawaii for 60 years. Nothing new about a territory taking its sweet time to become a state.

The 47% of Americans living in the STATES that do not pay tax, SHOULD pay tax. Citizens living in territories are constitutionaly exempt. ANY US citizen is free to relocate to Peuto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands or Midway Island (Also Marshall Islands) This would be no different than moving to North Carolina from Virginia, as regards the United States. Your visa and Green card are valid in Peurto Rico. You are just as much a permanent resident of Puerto Rico. Go for it. Tax free Peurto Rico. Is that less obtuse for you?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

"Paul and Vanessa" doesn't consider you citizens anyways.

Why the ** do you always talk for other folks? You got it all figured out dont you? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Why the ** do you always talk for other folks? You got it all figured out dont you?

In this case that is pretty much what he said. I don't know if it was a thoughtless remark or a weird sense of humour though. Something like "Meh PRs hardly count as citizens anyway" or close to that.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

47% of Americans living in the continental United States (you know, the REAL United-United States, there are just 48 of them and Texas is the biggest) do not pay income tax. So what? Kick them out? What about Alaska? They are not attached directly...why not them? And Hawaii... are you kidding me? They don't even look like Americans, well a lot of them don't, kind of...well not like most Americans....you know, good Americans. Anyway, they are way out there in the ocean, so who cares what they look like, it is too hard to get their tax and bring it to Washington so we can spend it and you can't even drive there, not even through Canada...so NO WAY they are Americans. I know, lets send the 47% of REAL Americans that do not pay tax to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico and THEN kick them out too!

It touches my nerves to see one American suggesting other Americans should be kicked out for not doing what that person usually seems in favor of...NOT paying taxes.

Why to partisan political hacks have to be so stupid sometimes?

as I mentioned they don't want to be a state and as someone else mentioned they don't want to be independent either. This sitting in limbo BS needs to go away. Congress needs to give them an ultimatum to pick statehood or Independence. It's really that simple.

The same applies to the Virgin Islands/Guam, etc.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

as I mentioned they don't want to be a state and as someone else mentioned they don't want to be independent either. This sitting in limbo BS needs to go away. Congress needs to give them an ultimatum to pick statehood or Independence. It's really that simple.

The same applies to the Virgin Islands/Guam, etc.

I would have to agree with this statement.

Sitting in limbo as is stated does nothing but leech funds from the country (at this time their country).

Also at this time they are considered citizens and as such should be afforded all rights inherent to that citizenship.

If given the choice and they select independence then I say that any that wish to remain citizens should be allowed to move or stay as a legal resident of that new country or independant state (what ever it is called).

Those that choose to remain and be independant from the USA would forfiet their US Citizenship for Puerto Rican Citizenship; in doing so they gain the independance they want.

I also believe if they wish to remain part of the USA they should elect to become a state of the USA.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

that since they technically are not a state and have voted down becoming a state on multiple occasions, then they shouldn't get to be US Citizens.

Also in the fact they pay taxes for social security, medicare, import/export taxes, etc. yet do not pay income taxes.

It touches a few nerves for people for daring to say something like that.

You know what touches a few nerves? The fact that all day you post things on VJ and that you make inflammatory statements. It seems as if you think you're better than everyone else. And you're not. You continually post things that make you look like a flat out racist and then hide behind some rationalization that you've created for yourself and claim that you're not.

Puerto Ricans are citizens, and the fact that you don't consider them 'real citizens' and that you'd would like to just throw them out of the country is irrelevant. It's unfortunate that your views of the world are so skewed.

The topic of whether or not Puerto Rico should become a state or become independent is a great debate to be had. But whenever you're involved in a debate it is no longer interesting or fun to participate in. Your posts manage to insult other members' religions, races and cultures and make this a place where many don't want to post anymore.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

You know what touches a few nerves? The fact that all day you post things on VJ and that you make inflammatory statements. It seems as if you think you're better than everyone else. And you're not. You continually post things that make you look like a flat out racist and then hide behind some rationalization that you've created for yourself and claim that you're not.

Puerto Ricans are citizens, and the fact that you don't consider them 'real citizens' and that you'd would like to just throw them out of the country is irrelevant. It's unfortunate that your views of the world are so skewed.

The topic of whether or not Puerto Rico should become a state or become independent is a great debate to be had. But whenever you're involved in a debate it is no longer interesting or fun to participate in. Your posts manage to insult other members' religions, races and cultures and make this a place where many don't want to post anymore.

The truth bothers people?

You can think I'm a racist all you want or whatever conceived notion you have about the way I look at things.

Just because to you think I post things that are inflammatory doesn't mean they are. Quite the opposite actually. To me it's more inflammatory to be dishonest about the world and ignore the facts at hand. I don't live in a naive world and i don't pretend to accept things as they are like most people do.

As I've said before, I'm a student of human nature and all behaviours in life. I pay attention to things in people that 99% of the rest of the population does not, nor wants to.

Regarding Puerto Rico, I've made my argument and it's pretty fair in what I've said. I haven't disparaged Puero Ricans, made them seem like less of people, or anything along those lines. All I've said is that if they want to be considered citizens they should accept statehood or become their own nation. That's an honest thing to ask for.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Regarding Puerto Rico, I've made my argument and it's pretty fair in what I've said. I haven't disparaged Puero Ricans, made them seem like less of people, or anything along those lines. All I've said is that if they want to be considered citizens they should accept statehood or become their own nation. That's an honest thing to ask for.

"Deport them. I don't consider them real citizens anyway." is what you said. That seems, to me, like you're making them seem like less of people.

Just because to you think I post things that are inflammatory doesn't mean they are.

They are. See above.

There's many examples of things you've said on here that are insensitive, inflammatory and just plain rude.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

"Deport them. I don't consider them real citizens anyway." is what you said. That seems, to me, like you're making them seem like less of people.

They are. See above.

There's many examples of things you've said on here that are insensitive, inflammatory and just plain rude.

I said they shouldn't be considered citizens and I was joking about the deportation thing.

As far as insensitive and rude goes, I'm hardly one of the one's around here name calling all the time or anything of that nature. If my thoughts are offensive then I apologize, but I take an honest approach to things.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Spot on. :thumbs: