Susita

Puerto Ricans are Citizens

44 posts in this topic

I don't know anything about Puerto Rico. Is Puerto Rico technically the same as a Maine or NC?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Booyah, it's a US territory. If you're really into it, read the book "The Trials of the Oldest Colony in the World" by Trias Monge. The title suggest a bias but it's actually a very good look into the US-PR relationship.

Booyah, it's a US territory. If you're really into it, read the book "The Trials of the Oldest Colony in the World" by Trias Monge. The title suggest a bias but it's actually a very good look into the US-PR relationship.

Is it like NT in AUS, where the federal government manages it?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Can I send you a message? Since the issue is a tad controversial for some, I don't like publicly speaking about it.

Yes or a link. Is there a wiki link to explain the territory concept?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know anything about Puerto Rico. Is Puerto Rico technically the same as a Maine or NC?

technically no.

in many other ways, yes.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

technically no.

in many other ways, yes.

What did you say to for it to be removed?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What did you say to for it to be removed?

that since they technically are not a state and have voted down becoming a state on multiple occasions, then they shouldn't get to be US Citizens.

Also in the fact they pay taxes for social security, medicare, import/export taxes, etc. yet do not pay income taxes.

It touches a few nerves for people for daring to say something like that.

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

"that since they technically are not a state and have voted down becoming a state on multiple occasions, then they shouldn't get to be US Citizens."

You're missing out on the fact that US citizenship was imposed on Puerto Ricans via the Jones Act in 1917. Puerto Ricans did not become US citizens, in fact, at that time, independence was the favored, yet for some mysterious reason ignored, option among the people.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The only people not aware of this are people that cannot name a country that begins with "U" unless it is "Yugolslavia". You care what they think?

The reason there is NO Puerto Rican flag on VJ is that they are citizens! Duh. Please don't tell me someone filed an I-129f for their Pueto Rican fiancee! :rofl:

The same applies to people from Guam, US Virgin Isalnds, Midway Islands, and any other US possession or territory.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

that since they technically are not a state and have voted down becoming a state on multiple occasions, then they shouldn't get to be US Citizens.

Also in the fact they pay taxes for social security, medicare, import/export taxes, etc. yet do not pay income taxes.

Saying stupid things doesn't improve one's image. What about US citizens in Guam? Kick them out also?

We should ALL not pay income tax, OR social security, medicare tax. So what? We should follow their lead, not criticize them. FAIR TAX NOW! First time I ever heard you complain about someone legally escaping the need to pay tax. I thought you were anti-tax? Maybe just anti-tax for yourself and friends but not for other people? Maybe you just want someone else to pay for everything for you? Why punish THEM, why not liberate US? They have figured out that if they do not have voting members of congress they cannot be forced to pay income tax. Seems like a good idea to me.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The only people not aware of this are people that cannot name a country that begins with "U" unless it is "Yugolslavia". You care what they think?

The reason there is NO Puerto Rican flag on VJ is that they are citizens! Duh. Please don't tell me someone filed an I-129f for their Pueto Rican fiancee! :rofl:

The same applies to people from Guam, US Virgin Isalnds, Midway Islands, and any other US possession or territory.

Do people still live on Midway? I thought by the 1980's it was effectively empty.

Timeline

47% of Americans living in the continental United States (you know, the REAL United-United States, there are just 48 of them and Texas is the biggest) do not pay income tax. So what? Kick them out? What about Alaska? They are not attached directly...why not them? And Hawaii... are you kidding me? They don't even look like Americans, well a lot of them don't, kind of...well not like most Americans....you know, good Americans. Anyway, they are way out there in the ocean, so who cares what they look like, it is too hard to get their tax and bring it to Washington so we can spend it and you can't even drive there, not even through Canada...so NO WAY they are Americans. I know, lets send the 47% of REAL Americans that do not pay tax to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico and THEN kick them out too!

It touches my nerves to see one American suggesting other Americans should be kicked out for not doing what that person usually seems in favor of...NOT paying taxes.

Why to partisan political hacks have to be so stupid sometimes?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

47% of Americans living in the continental United States (you know, the REAL United-United States, there are just 48 of them andTexas is the biggest) do not pay income tax. So what? Kick them out? What about Alaska? They are not attached directly...why not them. And Hawaii... are you kidding me? They don;t even look like Americans, well a lot of them don't, kind of...well not like most Americans....good Americans. Anyway, they are way out there in the ocean, so who cares what they look like, it is too hard to get their tax and brng it to washington so we can spend it and you can;t even drive there, not even through Canada...so NO WAY they are Americans. I know, lets send the 47% that do not pay tax to Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico and THEN kick them out.

It touches my nerves to see one American suggesting other Americans should be kicked out for not doing what that person usually seems in favor of...NOT paying taxes.

Why to partisan political hacks have to be so stupid sometimes?

Why are you being obtuse? There is a big difference in people under a certain income not paying tax versus none paying any tax at all.