Missa

Green card from 1956

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i thought i would ask here before scouring the internet for info.

my neighbor's mother , Marta is Lithuanian. She came to the united states in 1956 ( that's the date on her GC) she is in her 90s now and would like to visit her cousins who immigrated to Canada at about the same time she came to America. Her family from Europe is also making their way to Canada for a reunion and she would like to see them all before her time is up.

the situation is that she has never applied for citizenship, since she is not a citizen she cannot apply for a passport. (she doesn't have a passport from her home country.)

i suppose i would like these few questions answered.

1- does a Green Card from WAY back then even expire? she has never renewed it and there is no written expiration date on it. her daughter is afraid that if it is indeed expired that she will not be able to return to the U.S

2- Since she has been here for such a long time, and i think the rules were way different back then, is she automatically considered naturalized?

Marta's daughter doesn't know where to start looking for information about this kind of thing. her and her sisters applied for citizenship years ago. now she wishes her mother had too.

any advice, links or info is certainly appreciated.

thank you

Melissa

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

my neighbor's mother , Marta is Lithuanian. She came to the united states in 1956 ( that's the date on her GC) she is in her 90s now and would like to visit her cousins who immigrated to Canada at about the same time she came to America. Her family from Europe is also making their way to Canada for a reunion and she would like to see them all before her time is up.

the situation is that she has never applied for citizenship, since she is not a citizen she cannot apply for a passport. (she doesn't have a passport from her home country.)

1- does a Green Card from WAY back then even expire? she has never renewed it and there is no written expiration date on it. her daughter is afraid that if it is indeed expired that she will not be able to return to the U.S

2- Since she has been here for such a long time, and i think the rules were way different back then, is she automatically considered naturalized?

Marta's daughter doesn't know where to start looking for information about this kind of thing. her and her sisters applied for citizenship years ago. now she wishes her mother had too.

thank you

Melissa

Couple of years ago green card holders with GCs without expiration date were supposed to get the green card with the expiration date - so file I-90 (I think you can do it online now). Not sure when the lady is traveling, but notice that she filed is good enough to show on the border with her old card.

All info is on uscis.gov look up green card, green card replacement and I-90 form and instructions.

Edited to add: if she never submitted N400 naturalization application she is not a USC. She can still apply and do it - given her age she may just need to do couple of 100 questions (maybe 10) asked normally - I think the ones with asterisk next to them.

Info on naturalization is in the guide M-476 aslo available on uscis.gov

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

thank you

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I am not sure about the GC expiration issue but this is what I know. Normally, LPR who have lived in the US for more than 20 years autmatically qualify for naturalization, but not automatically naturalized. She may have to take the interview but some of the questions are expected for her to learn - the list of 100 question has * asterisks near them.

However, first thing is maybe she should consult with an immigration lawyer (not to hire but pay around $150 and get some answers).

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

I think Marta's daughter was worried about her having to take any test. at 90 years old she has Alzheimer and wouldn't know whats what. i'm wondering what would happen if she just crossed into Canada with her daughter and son in law, stayed for a few days then came back. wonder how much trouble they would give her, i mean, she's 90!

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Filed: Other Timeline

The old Green Card is still valid. Do not exchange it, SAVE it!

Since you doubt Marta is up to any test, why not getting a new Lithuanian passport from the consulate? Garry and Alla should know more.

Calling Gary!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

hmm i suppose she could do that. i wonder where the consulate is and if she'd have to go there.

what about filing an I-131 re entry permit? i know that's expensive but i'm just exploring options for them. also they say that 14-79 needs a biometric appointment. i would assume because she;s 90 the bio appt would be waved?

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hmm i suppose she could do that. i wonder where the consulate is and if she'd have to go there.

what about filing an I-131 re entry permit? i know that's expensive but i'm just exploring options for them. also they say that 14-79 needs a biometric appointment. i would assume because she;s 90 the bio appt would be waved?

She does not need a re-entry permit (I-131).... The travel permit allows her re-entry into the USA. She does not need it... She has her GREENCARD

You need to understand what she needs to get into Canada...

National Lithuania (LT) /Residence U.S.A. (US)

Destination Canada (CA)

Canada (CA)

Passport required

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for the period of intended stay.

- Warning: if departing from the U.S.A.(regardless of any destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or

accepted departure document (TIRULES/R9) is required by the U.S. immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Legal permanent residents of the U.S.A. holding Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) and seeking entry

to Canada from:

- the U.S.A.;

- St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 6 months:

- for nationals of Lithuania, provided holding an e-passport.

Visa required, except for Permanent residents of the U.S.A. for a max. stay of 6 months, provided holding Permanent

Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551). NOTE: ADIT stamp evidencing the process of a Form I-551 is also accepted

provided that the 'valid until' date has not expired.

Minors:

- Parent(s) travelling with a child under 18 years are strongly advised to For details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitor seeking entry may be required to produce documentary evidence to establish, to the satisfaction of an immigration

officer,For details, click here

- A Temporary Residents Visa (TRV) (previously known as the Canadian Visitor Visa)For details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors not complying with entry requirements may be refused admission into Canada and deported at carrier's

expense.

Lithuanian consulates in NY or Chicago as well as the Embassy in Washington DC

YMMV

Timeline

yeah, she can get into Canada with just her GC, i get that. Its returning to the U.S that she's worried about. she has no valid passport, with the new more strict border crossing laws should she even chance leaving with just her old version greencard as proof of LPR status.

getting pulled into secondary for finger printing and whatnot is fine she said but she doesn't want to be forced to apply for anything further be it a new Green card with an expiry date or naturalization because at her age she just doesn't care enough to.

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline

yeah, she can get into Canada with just her GC, i get that. Its returning to the U.S that she's worried about. she has no valid passport, with the new more strict border crossing laws should she even chance leaving with just her old version greencard as proof of LPR status.

getting pulled into secondary for finger printing and whatnot is fine she said but she doesn't want to be forced to apply for anything further be it a new Green card with an expiry date or naturalization because at her age she just doesn't care enough to.

If you check the CBP.gov site you will see that an I-551 card (greencard) is a valid re-entry document for a resident

The USCIS is developing plans to replace all non-expiry cards... If they have not come out with guidance or procedures yet... then until they do a valid greencard is a valid greencard

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If the card has no expiration date, then she can not be blamed for not renewing it since technically it hasn't expired.

2- Since she has been here for such a long time, and i think the rules were way different back then, is she automatically considered naturalized? NO. The USCIS will not automatically make anyone a citizen without their permission. They can't "force" citizenship on her.

Her mother doesn't need to be a citizen to enter Canada so no biggie about the fact that she didn't apply..

thank you

Melissa

Edited by w8inglongtime

Timeline

oh alright.i was confused about the re-entry, the heat must be getting to me today.

i believe in 1996 they came out with a replacement but i don't know if marta ever got the letter. Her English probably wasn't good enough to completely understand what they were asking unfortunately. the online brochure said " you MAY have delays re entering the U.S" they said she'll have to go into secondary to get finger printed.

thank you payxibka for your expertise.

i was going through some of her papers. she has this strange booklet called a reentry permit, it has a biography page and picture just like a passport and the cover is white. she used it when she visited Europe. I've never heard of or seen such a thing. it was interesting. too bad it expired in 1986 lol

thanks everyone.

Edited by Missa

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline

oh alright.i was confused about the re-entry, the heat must be getting to me today.

i believe in 1996 they came out with a replacement but i don't know if marta ever got the letter. Her English probably wasn't good enough to completely understand what they were asking unfortunately. the online brochure said " you MAY have delays re entering the U.S" they said she'll have to go into secondary to get finger printed.

Actually, I believe the timeframe the USCIS began contemplating replacement of non-expiry greencards was sometime in 2008.

YMMV

Actually, I believe the timeframe the USCIS began contemplating replacement of non-expiry greencards was sometime in 2008.

http://www.uscis.gov...entQA082207.pdf - I believe this was the proposed rule

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/New%20Structure/3rd%20Level%20%28Left%20Nav%20Children%29/Resources-3rd%20level/How%20Do%20I%20Guides/B2en.pdf

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi Melissa,

I am not sure about the GC expiration issue but this is what I know. Normally, LPR who have lived in the US for more than 20 years autmatically qualify for naturalization, but not automatically naturalized. She may have to take the interview but some of the questions are expected for her to learn - the list of 100 question has * asterisks near them.

However, first thing is maybe she should consult with an immigration lawyer (not to hire but pay around $150 and get some answers).

The only thing 20 years as LPR gives you is exemption from English language test. Manual, p 26. Interview is still happening and so are questions on civics - the ones marked with asterisk. It says you can have the civics test in the language of your choice.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi

HI I Think, the fastest ways is to find a Lithuanian Passport. Most of the countries give this to you the same day you go to the Consulate. And with her GC she can leave and return whenever she likes.

Path to naturalization, could take at least 6 months. If this trip can weait it could be another solution but it is a time and Money consuming solution. In any case check Uscis Page. GUIDE TO NATURALIZATION

And in the guide you can read some exceptions for GC holder olders than 65 and living for more then 20 years.

Edited by inloveVEN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.