mspain

Could Fast Marriage lead to problems at AOS?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have been together since 2007 and have been chomping at the bit to get married since then. We´re also old fashioned and want to get married ASAP when he gets here. I´ve researched marriage licenses in my state and I understand that a SSN is usually required, but in our case he would just have to go in and sign a paper stating he is a citizen of another country and present other ID. I know most people wait for the SSN to come in the mail which usually takes about a month. We do not want to wait that long to get married. Will it cause us problems at AOS if we marry without a SSN and just apply for it later? Is a marriage less valid without a SSN?

Edited by meghan.spain

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

My daughter, who now lives in France, married her fiance, who lives in Germany, in Maui, Hawaii, which is in the United States of America. None of them have a SSN, 'cause they're tourists. Do you think their marriage is less valid now? Should I be worried and call them in Europe and ask them to get married again or get social security numbers?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have been together since 2007 and have been chomping at the bit to get married since then. We´re also old fashioned and want to get married ASAP when he gets here. I´ve researched marriage licenses in my state and I understand that a SSN is usually required, but in our case he would just have to go in and sign a paper stating he is a citizen of another country and present other ID. I know most people wait for the SSN to come in the mail which usually takes about a month. We do not want to wait that long to get married. Will it cause us problems at AOS if we marry without a SSN and just apply for it later? Is a marriage less valid without a SSN?

Here in CA they did not require a SSN, although I already had one because I had a J1 visa in 2008. You don;t need a SSN to file, although if you want to open joint accounts you probably need one. It will be useful if you get an interview to show further proof of bona fide marriage.

I got married 3 days after POE and so far no problems with AOS:-) I have my interview on 06/17.

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We didn't need my SSN to apply for our marriage license. We applied for it a day after we got married. You also do not need it to apply for AOS. You just need it to apply for a joint bank account and have more prrof for the AOS.

Aya

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We had applied for my husband's SSN when we got our marriage license but had not received the card so we applied for the license without it. No problem.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Is a marriage less valid without a SSN?

That's funny....a legal marriage is a legal marriage. If your local jurisdiction doesn't require a SSN, then they don't require a SSN.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Nik didn't have his social security number yet when we got married (he hadn't even applied yet!) We were married just 9 days after he entered the country, and we completed AOS with absolutely no questions. Not even a raised eyebrow. :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Nik didn't have his social security number yet when we got married (he hadn't even applied yet!) We were married just 9 days after he entered the country, and we completed AOS with absolutely no questions. Not even a raised eyebrow. :)

How did you collect proof for the AOS without a SSN? What kind of proof did you attach to the AOS packet?

Aya

ROC Timeline

How did you collect proof for the AOS without a SSN? What kind of proof did you attach to the AOS packet?

Aya

We got married without the SSN, but we applied for AOS 2 months after that. We did have his SSN by that time, and for proof of relationship we had pictures from the wedding and other activities w/family members and friends, health, car and dental insurance in both names, shared credit card account and shared checking/savings account. You're right, all but the car insurance, credit card (did you know no SSN needed for authorized users??) and pictures required him to have a social security number.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: Country:
Timeline

YOU DO NOT NEED A SSN TO BE ADDED TO YOUR USC SPOUSE'S BANK ACCOUNTS.

Download Form W-8BEN from the IRS, complete it and take it to the bank with you.

Timeline

We got married without the SSN, but we applied for AOS 2 months after that. We did have his SSN by that time, and for proof of relationship we had pictures from the wedding and other activities w/family members and friends, health, car and dental insurance in both names, shared credit card account and shared checking/savings account. You're right, all but the car insurance, credit card (did you know no SSN needed for authorized users??) and pictures required him to have a social security number.

Thanks, Heather!

We've been waiting for my SSN since May 4th. My I-94 expires on June 12th. I understand you can apply for AOS even after the I-94 expires. We just don't want any trouble or delays with USCIS, and would really like to collect as much proof as possible.

Aya

ROC Timeline

Timeline

YOU DO NOT NEED A SSN TO BE ADDED TO YOUR USC SPOUSE'S BANK ACCOUNTS.

Download Form W-8BEN from the IRS, complete it and take it to the bank with you.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob! :thumbs:

Aya

ROC Timeline

Thanks, Heather!

We've been waiting for my SSN since May 4th. My I-94 expires on June 12th. I understand you can apply for AOS even after the I-94 expires. We just don't want any trouble or delays with USCIS, and would really like to collect as much proof as possible.

Aya

You don't need to send in any proof of relationship with the AOS filing, aside from the marriage certificate which is not so much relationship proof as evidence of complying with the legal requirements. You don't even need to have the social security number to send in the file. In my opinion, you are much better off preserving your status by ensuring you have the receipt notice before your I-94 expires, then spend the time between filing and interview (if you have an interview at all) gathering the proof of relationship evidence.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

You don't need to send in any proof of relationship with the AOS filing, aside from the marriage certificate which is not so much relationship proof as evidence of complying with the legal requirements. You don't even need to have the social security number to send in the file. In my opinion, you are much better off preserving your status by ensuring you have the receipt notice before your I-94 expires, then spend the time between filing and interview (if you have an interview at all) gathering the proof of relationship evidence.

We feel more comfortable with sending the AOS before the I-94 expires. Although, have you heard of an experience when the AOS process got delayed due to sending the packet after the I-94 expired?

Aya

P.S: Sorry for stealing the thread, Meghan. Hope the discussion is useful for everyone. (F)

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.