brainiac

Work immediately on temp CR-1 stamp?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife was stamped and processed in FLL from Medellin on a CR-1 visa. The customs agent told her that she could work immediately using the registration number on the visa. I thought that she had to wait for three weeks before she received a SS#. She is desperate to work and we are both confused. She asked the guy twice and twice he said she could work using the number. This number is only 8 digts long. You need 9 numbers for a SS#. Plleeeeeeeeezzzz help. Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

She can work in the house, in the yard, wash your car, but if she's seeking legal employment the form I-9 will ask for her social security number and her work authorization, which for non-citizens is usually the Green Card which should be in the mail soon.

That said, does she really have employers already lined up waiting to hire her on the spot? If so, congratulations!

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

My wife was stamped and processed in FLL from Medellin on a CR-1 visa. The customs agent told her that she could work immediately using the registration number on the visa. I thought that she had to wait for three weeks before she received a SS#. She is desperate to work and we are both confused. She asked the guy twice and twice he said she could work using the number. This number is only 8 digts long. You need 9 numbers for a SS#. Plleeeeeeeeezzzz help. Thanks

Just go to SSA office and apply for the card. Should get it within 2 weeks even though it normally arrives in a couple of days only.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

We purposely applied for the CR-1 because the processing times for K-3 and K-1 visas are identical now. Not too long ago (from my understanding) the CR-1's were taking years to process mainly because of having to wait for a work permit. In filling out the DS-230, I believe there is a section on there that says USCIS will mail your spouse a SS# AFTER you POE stamp (temp green card) is given, in fact I am sure of it.

She does not have jobs lined up, she just wants to work and make money for her family. This is one of the main reasons we married--she is a self starter and very proud.

Could someone in the know confirm that we will get a SS# (in the form of a green card) in a couple of weeks? And could someone give us a link or a phone number to call to check on its status? This number: +18003755283 is useless and I can't figure out how to get to a real person.

many, many thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

for SSN card - it is BEST to go IN PERSON to yer local SSA office.

Bring :

1. passport

2. marriage certificate

3. other form of ID

Now - one of two things can happen:

1. If she's already been assigned a number, because of checking the box on the DS-230 - the clerk will tell you or

2. She'll apply for a new ssn.

If you get any mumblings from the front-desk clerk about 'DHS/USCIS electronic verfication' - ASK for a supervisor, ASK the supervisor to look her up in the SAVE database.

The member, 'I Quit' has written extensively about the regulations and guidelines - suggest you look up that user, find his/her posts, and STUDY THEM.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

thanks darnell. Also, I recently moved. IF the SSN comes to my old address AND we go to the local SS office here, at my new address, will we have any explaining to do? I assume we will just need to fill out a change of address form? Or am I treading water already? I don't want to screw this up :blink: I spent a lot of time and "moaney" on this. I will look up "i quit's" postings. Thanks for your help.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

what if you requested to get a SS# on the DS-230?

won't you receive it sometime after you arrive?

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

toyko - that'####### and miss - never 100 percent of 'SSN card ordered and mailed out' as a result of ticking that box on that form.

brainiac - you've moved? OH MY GOODNESS !!! You need to become great friends with the new tenant, to catch that green card for ya. Ya I know - you've probably already done the change of address form with USCIS, and done the online address change thingie, but YIKES !!! Ya moved?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

for SSN card - it is BEST to go IN PERSON to yer local SSA office.

Bring :

1. passport

2. marriage certificate

3. other form of ID

Now - one of two things can happen:

1. If she's already been assigned a number, because of checking the box on the DS-230 - the clerk will tell you or

2. She'll apply for a new ssn.

If you get any mumblings from the front-desk clerk about 'DHS/USCIS electronic verfication' - ASK for a supervisor, ASK the supervisor to look her up in the SAVE database.

The member, 'I Quit' has written extensively about the regulations and guidelines - suggest you look up that user, find his/her posts, and STUDY THEM.

Good Luck !

I was going to pose a question re the SSN but this is part of what I was going to ask re this thread so I'll do it here. I'v checked off the YES in the DS230 for the SSN to be applied for by 'the man' lol - so my question was around obtaining the actual number itself prior to getting the SSN card mailed out. This is related getting on my wife's medical coverage when I finally get down there. They will require an SSn so I thought I could get the number assigned before I get the card rather than waiting.

So it sounds like it's in the data bank so I should be able to get it then? Correct?

Also what are people's experiences with checking off yes on the DS230 and getting the SSn without any problems? Comments?

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

I was going to pose a question re the SSN but this is part of what I was going to ask re this thread so I'll do it here. I'v checked off the YES in the DS230 for the SSN to be applied for by 'the man' lol - so my question was around obtaining the actual number itself prior to getting the SSN card mailed out. This is related getting on my wife's medical coverage when I finally get down there. They will require an SSn so I thought I could get the number assigned before I get the card rather than waiting.

So it sounds like it's in the data bank so I should be able to get it then? Correct?

Also what are people's experiences with checking off yes on the DS230 and getting the SSn without any problems? Comments?

I think they can tell you what is the SSN that was assigned to you. If the card doesn't show up in a week after POE, definitely go to your local SSA office and re-apply.

From what I know, in over 50% of cases it won't come even though you checked that box.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

She can work in the house, in the yard, wash your car, but if she's seeking legal employment the form I-9 will ask for her social security number and her work authorization, which for non-citizens is usually the Green Card which should be in the mail soon.

That said, does she really have employers already lined up waiting to hire her on the spot? If so, congratulations!

Absolutely correct but an informed employer is often willing to accept a delayed I-9, or delayed evidence to go with the I-9.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.