trillium13

Now Even American Flag Drawings Offend

45 posts in this topic

SALINAS, Calif. --

A simple art project has turned controversial in Salinas after a student said her drawing of the American flag was deemed offensive, while another student's picture of President Obama was praised.

Tracy Hathaway said her art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School told her daughter she couldn't draw the American flag, calling the picture offensive.

Hathaway said they were floored when they heard the news and met with the teacher and principal at Gavilan View Middle School. When asked what she thought was offensive about drawing an American flag, the teacher didn't answer, Hathaway said.

The Hathaways now want an apology.

"From her teacher to just say 'I'm sorry for offending you' and saying this was 'offensive,' just a heart-felt apology is all I'm asking," Hathaway said.

The Hathaways said the issue isn't about race, but that racism has crept into the discussion after the school received more than 200 e-mails and phone messages, most of them containing hateful and racist comments.

"(Messages say) that we have violated that student's First Amendment rights and the so-called teacher needs to 'get the hell out of my country,'" said District Superintendent Mike Brusa.

Brusa also said another meeting is planned this week between the teacher, parents and Hathaway, and that an apology may be in order.

Although Brusa wouldn't discuss if any disciplinary action has been taken, or will be taken, the teacher involved wasn't on campus Monday.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/23512008/detail.html

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.”

“The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,” he wrote.

NOTE: Here is the full response from Superintendent Brusa:

When we were aware there may be additional concerns, I asked the administration to contact parents again to see if there is any expectations from prior contact that have not been met. The Principal did so, and indicated the parents were satisfied that the situation had been handled. They told the Principal they had twittered Fox and had indicated that the situation had been handled. Secondly, there are 3,000 students in the district, 250 employees, and parents that go with the students. Every day there are many interactions that occur between all these individuals. As I indicated, this event occurred several weeks ago, and in that time there would be literally thousands of events large and small between the people involved with the school. This was one small event that did not even come to the level of my office. There is an informal and formal process that is used to resolve issues. The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the Superintendent’s office. Thank you for allowing me to clarify this situation.

http://toddstarnes.com/?p=559

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

23512154_240X180.jpg

I'm not sure why the teacher didn't explain her reasoning, but it wasn't the the flag itself (because that was their assignment, to draw a picture of the flag) but that the girl wrote on top of the flag, "God Bless America."

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

23512154_240X180.jpg

I'm not sure why the teacher didn't explain her reasoning, but it wasn't the the flag itself (because that was their assignment, to draw a picture of the flag) but that the girl wrote on top of the flag, "God Bless America."

Why would that be offensive?

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

23512154_240X180.jpg

Well, California is fcuked up, I can tell you that. When will y'all split and join with Mexico?

23512154_240X180.jpg

There's no (good) reason for that to be offensive.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

None of you are looking close enough. That's definitely Muhammad in the bottom right hand corner.

Yeah, no kidding.

Whatever the truth of this story is, and I am quite sure what is presented in this article is only a partial version of that truth, the juxtaposition of a US flag featuring 'god bless America' (banned) and President Obama (praised) is designed to create some disturbing imagery ;)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

23512154_240X180.jpg

You aint sure about nuttin only what your told!

Edited by Col. Lingus

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

23512154_240X180.jpg

The issue could be as simple as this:

The school is a public school and must abide by separation of church and state laws. The picture clearly supports one religion over another and so could be deemed offensive to some....

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The school is a public school and must abide by separation of church and state laws. The picture clearly supports one religion over another and so could be deemed offensive to some....

compeltely absurd reasoning, but probably what they were thinking.

The "seperation of church and state" argument is exactly what allows this girl to draw the picture as see fits.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

the pic reads 'god bless america' not 'god bless christian america'....** some. don't read it.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Why would that be offensive?

It contains the word, 'G'd', that's why.

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg