trillium13

Now Even American Flag Drawings Offend

45 posts in this topic

If you really want to get into it, it is.

Scientific 'facts' are proven wrong/changed as time goes on and we learn more and more. There's a 'belief' in one's findings that something IS what is IS, but at the same time there are those who are always out to expand/disprove one's own alleged 'facts' with their own with a more conclusive study.

I look at science as a religion that tries to prove itself, where spirtual relgion is one that you just 'feel' in your heart.

I think not.

The important difference between science and religion is that religion comes with ABSOLUTE statements, that neither can be proved or disproved, and science evolves from relative truths and statements, that can be testified and proven false (which means: science has to develop, in order to replace (partly) untrue theories, and replace them with better ones).

Science does not claim it has absolute knowledge on anything. Religion claims it has.

All scientific theories are in principle disprovable, and in the end all theories will be disproven (at least it can be shown there is a limiiting case in which the theory does not work).

Religion can in principle not be disproven. Which does not contribute either to it's proof. It is also unprovable.

If something is neither provable nor disprovable, then it is useless.

It can only have value to people who prefer to be ignorant, and don't want to get into complicated knowledge, and prefer to believe in something that is disprovable.

Science is for people who realize that in order to aquire knowledge, some work (sometimes a LOT) has to be done! And even despite you put in a LOT of work, someone else may disproof all (or part) of your work! That is : you have to try even harder!

Religion is for people who claim to know EVERYTHING ABSOLUTELY ("God created the world", for instance ) without having done any work to get to that opinion, and for which nobody can give any disproof. So it is a very safe position. You don't have to do WORK for entitling yourself an opinion on matters that seem important, and nobody can force you to do some work for finding a better opinion, cause there lacks the ability to disproof you.

Edited by PhiLandShiR

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

I missed that too... sometimes MC pulls the trigger a bit fast....

Yes, I did. I don't think I was wrong though. That's the direction Smoke was going with his 'what's that in your siggy blah blah blah.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Yes, I did. I don't think I was wrong though. That's the direction Smoke was going with his 'what's that in your siggy blah blah blah.

I would respectfully disagree. I think he was trying to make the point that I could not complain about religion while having a religious icon, AKA the bible, shown in my sig...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

I would respectfully disagree. I think he was trying to make the point that I could not complain about religion while having a religious icon, AKA the bible, shown in my sig...

Teach me to have siggies turned off :lol:

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Exactly, religion is about spirituality. It's not about the explaining the hows and whys.

What? Do you have a dictionary?

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

What? Do you have a dictionary?

I'd rather you enlighten me.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I'd rather you enlighten me.

The purpose of most religions throughout human history has been to explain the hows and whys--how we came to be, the nature of consciousness and existence, why things are the way they are, etc. In these more enlightened times, we have scientific explanations for things that previous generations did not, but religion is still relevant for a lot of people because many questions remain.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Whats your point??

This link clearly showes the foolishness of people when it comes to religion.

"The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War."

As far as the govenment is concerned, religious sentiment simply can not be allowed to govern decision making.

"In God We Trust" has been used off and on for 150 years, why don't you post the time line to see how well your theory stands up.

I think the more obvious truth is... THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE RELIGIOUS .. and it has been reflected in both public acts and private ways.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

"In God We Trust" has been used off and on for 150 years, why don't you post the time line to see how well your theory stands up.

I think the more obvious truth is... THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE RELIGIOUS .. and it has been reflected in both public acts and private ways.

I don't disagree with you. But that has nothing to do with what I am saying....

As far as the govenment is concerned, religious sentiment simply can not be allowed to govern decision making.

Its just that pure and simple...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't disagree with you. But that has nothing to do with what I am saying....

Its just that pure and simple...

Sooo we should trash the founding idea that certain Rights come from God?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Sooo we should trash the founding idea that certain Rights come from God?

Yes.

Rights are not something that are derived from an external being. We mutually grant rights to each other based on a fundamental principal that everyone is born equal and free.

This notion that rights are dependent on the beneficence of an external force is absurd and more than that allows for interpretations that prevent some people from enjoying rights if it can argued that 'god' doesn't approve, even while having no proof that god even exists to approve of or not approve of something. God should have no place in governance, it's that simple.