AandLKC

Getting Married to Prove Marriage

22 posts in this topic

OP, you're good with the foreign marriage certificate. Concentrate on your evidence for ROC.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

My goal was to get a U.S marriage document acknowledging our foreign marriage certificate. When I went to the court they said U.S will acknowledge marriage license that is issued by any local or government authority ( including foreign countries). so I asked the clerk what I need to do if I lost/ got destroyed the marriage certificate and cannot be reproduced …you can always come to the court and marry you wife again so we can issue a document. … I will go to the court next week again to see if this can be done and I will update this post

Why are you asking for advice if you already know the answer?

And seem to refuse to accept any dissent since it's fixed in your mind?

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

i have all the documents ... pictures, jount bank account, joint house ownership, joint cell phone accouts, tax filings 2008,2009, jount brokrage accounts and even better ( my wife took my first name as her last...so i even have a court document showing legal change of name according to indian tradition) ...etc ... i was kind of doing the marriage certificate as an icing on the cake .... but i will stand down ..

you threw everyone off with your first post "that should be the only proof USCIS need to prove relationship right ??"

It wasn't clear that you had all the necessary evidence....

it looks like you are set....

A few other suggestions are utilities, car insurance, home insurance

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have all the documents ... pictures, jount bank account, joint house ownership, joint cell phone accouts, tax filings 2008,2009, jount brokrage accounts and even better ( my wife took my first name as her last...so i even have a court document showing legal change of name according to indian tradition) ...etc ... i was kind of doing the marriage certificate as an icing on the cake .... but i will stand down ..

You are not trying to prove the legality of your marriage but that you have an ongoing, bonafide and comingled marriage relationship. A single piece of paper validating the legality of your marriage certificate does not come close to doing that nor is it expected in this part of the process.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yes - you've already proven you were married, providing them with a document that doesn;t jive with what they already know about you would just be confusing for them.

If your original was accidentally lost of destroyed, I would now work on getting a copy for yourselves for the future...you should have ones in safe keeping.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

That's nuts.

Why would you file documentation of getting married more than two years after you filed proof that you are already married to get the green card in the first place?

The instructions for the I-751 request the following evidence of ongoing marriage (paraphrased which is why the link is attached)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

1. Children's birth certificates

2. Lease/mortgage contracts

3. Joint financial records

4. Other documents considered relevant to establish ongoing marriage

5. Affidavits

When in doubt - it is never wrong to follow the instructions as closely and specifically as possible.

I am getting ready to file for i-751 to lift conditions on my wife’s green card. And I was wondering if we can go to the district court here and get married which cost about $50 or so and that should be the only proof USCIS need to prove relationship right ??... has anybody done that …or thinking about doing it ??.. I still have time to file … I cannot postmark the documents until the end of this month.

i don't get it.

I am getting ready to file for i-751 to lift conditions on my wife’s green card. And I was wondering if we can go to the district court here and get married which cost about $50 or so and that should be the only proof USCIS need to prove relationship right ??... has anybody done that …or thinking about doing it ??.. I still have time to file … I cannot postmark the documents until the end of this month.

did you mean renewing of the oath?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.