AandLKC

Getting Married to Prove Marriage

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am getting ready to file for i-751 to lift conditions on my wifes green card. And I was wondering if we can go to the district court here and get married which cost about $50 or so and that should be the only proof USCIS need to prove relationship right ??... has anybody done that …or thinking about doing it ??.. I still have time to file … I cannot postmark the documents until the end of this month.

Edited by AandLKC

You can't get married if you are already married.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

YES YOU CAN .... THEIR IS NO LIMITATIONS OF HOW MANY TIME YOU CAN MARRY THE SAME PERSON .....

NOT IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Country:
Timeline

How about providing a document from your foreign wedding? US Government recognizes marriages abroad as legal marriage.

FWIW, not only must you prove that you're married but also that it's a bonefide marriage. This is where most mistakes seem to be made. Show proof of co-mingled finances, beneficiaries on life insurance, property in both names, bills in both names, proof of co-habitation and such.

YES YOU CAN .... THEIR IS NO LIMITATIONS OF HOW MANY TIME YOU CAN MARRY THE SAME PERSON .....

You can have as many ceremonial marriages as you please (even to different people).

For a LEGAL marriage you must sign a document swearing that you are not currently married.

If you do as planned be prepared for a denial.

Timeline

My goal was to get a U.S marriage document acknowledging our foreign marriage certificate. When I went to the court they said U.S will acknowledge marriage license that is issued by any local or government authority ( including foreign countries). so I asked the clerk what I need to do if I lost/ got destroyed the marriage certificate and cannot be reproduced …you can always come to the court and marry you wife again so we can issue a document. … I will go to the court next week again to see if this can be done and I will update this post

I am getting ready to file for i-751 to lift conditions on my wife’s green card. And I was wondering if we can go to the district court here and get married which cost about $50 or so and that should be the only proof USCIS need to prove relationship right ??... has anybody done that …or thinking about doing it ??.. I still have time to file … I cannot postmark the documents until the end of this month.

To answer you original question - no that will not be enough and as Bob 4 Anna said, it is very highly you will get a denial for removal of conditions. USCIS knows you are already married and hence they want proof that your marriage is not for immigration purposes only. Therefore, they want to see some evidence of a marriage. In most normal marriages, both people will share their life together which includes events, finances, decision making, and most importantly build a future together by having children and such. This is what USCIS is looking for and expects applicants to provide.

Getting married (or renewing your vows) to the same person is not enough since this doesn't show any history of you being married.

Look at it like your Marriage-credit-score. Just like a finance loan officer, he/she will not approve you for a loan unless they see your history of borrowing/spending/paying. If your score is low, then you won't get approved for a loan. So getting married again (to the same spouse) is like giving the loan officer your word that you will pay back without having a solid history of paying back. It simply will not work.

Do you have pictures together?

Bills?

Tax returns?

utilities?

Car loan?

Insurance?

These types of documents will show a clearer picture of you being married and living together with your spouse

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't even need to provide a marriage certificate since they already have one from AOS. So it's kind of pointless.

If you wish to do it for you that's one thing, for immigration it won't make any difference as they already know you are married.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

My goal was to get a U.S marriage document acknowledging our foreign marriage certificate. When I went to the court they said U.S will acknowledge marriage license that is issued by any local or government authority ( including foreign countries). so I asked the clerk what I need to do if I lost/ got destroyed the marriage certificate and cannot be reproduced …you can always come to the court and marry you wife again so we can issue a document. … I will go to the court next week again to see if this can be done and I will update this post

If you're filing to lift/remove conditions, the US has already recognized the marriage, now they want you to show that you're still married, living a life together. Getting married again doesn't really add value toward showing that. Of course you're welcome to do as you please.

For best results - follow the guides outlined HERE

Do not do that, again do not get a US document to substitue for a Marriage that has already been documented by USCIS from information supplied for the CR1 petition.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Sorry but that clerk is an idiot...

You don't need a "US Document acknowledging your foreign marriage", you should have your marriage certificate which is recognized by the US Government (and all States) as a matter of international treaty.

Regardless of USCIS it's a good idea to have a few copies of your marriage certificate. How is it that you can't contact the region/place where your marriage is registered (in India I assume) and obtain new copies of the certificate?

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Timeline

i have all the documents ... pictures, jount bank account, joint house ownership, joint cell phone accouts, tax filings 2008,2009, jount brokrage accounts and even better ( my wife took my first name as her last...so i even have a court document showing legal change of name according to indian tradition) ...etc ... i was kind of doing the marriage certificate as an icing on the cake .... but i will stand down ..

Edited by AandLKC

Filed: Timeline

i have all the documents ... pictures, jount bank account, joint house ownership, joint cell phone accouts, tax filings 2008,2009, jount brokrage accounts and even better ( my wife took my first name as her last...so i even have a court document showing legal change of name according to indian tradition) ...etc ... i was kind of doing the marriage certificate as an icing on the cake .... but i will stand down ..

Yes, concentrate on the paperwork showing how your relationship has been in the last 2 years and your future. Thats what they want to see, not another certificate of a marriage they have recognise already. Good Luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

They already know you are married. They are looking more into how much your lives have intermingled since you got married. Also, since the new marriage certificate will have the wrong date it could bite you later on and they might nor approve you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.