journey1

I-134 is not required?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

These k-1 visa instructions say:

"The following is required:

Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support may be requested.)"

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

Does that mean I-134 at interview time is not required automatically but they could ask for it?

Guide on this site gives the impression that it's a required form. Has anyone here used anything other than I-134 at interview as evidence of financial support?

In my case, when the embassy sent us the Packet 3, the instruction says to "complete and mail all of the documents(not fax or scan) with Form DSL-1076 to advise the U.S. Consulate General that you are ready for your final visa interview," this include the I-134.

Forms required (not all inclusive):

*Form DS-230 (Part I) ONLY— Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

*Form DS-156K — Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application (1 copy)

*Form DS-156 — Nonimmigrant Visa Application (2 copies)

*Form I-134 — Affidavit of Support (Affidavit of Support Instructions)

*Form DSL-1076 — Applicant’s Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed

*Police certificates

*Medical reports

-v

Edited by L&V

23Jan2010 "V" mailed I-129F (USPO return recp't & certified mail)

25Jan2010 NOA1 (website), 01Feb2010 via snail mail

26Jan2010 USPO return receipt received

27Jan2010 Check cashed

26Feb2010 NOA2 (website), 04Mar2010 via snail mail

06Mar2010 Petition received at NVC (website), 10Mar2010 via snail mail

17Mar2010 "Packet 3" received from Sydney Consulate (via email only)

24Mar2010 "L&V" mailed DS-230 to Sydney Consulate(sent from the US - certified mail)

_________| no activity for 26 days since "L" is still in the US. (we didn't expect the paperwork would flow so smoothly and quickly).

18Apr2010 "L" returned to Australia

19Apr2010 "L" - finger-printed & requested for police certificate

21Apr2010 "L" medical exam

23Apr2010 Police certificate received

30Apr2010 Medical results

01May2010 "L" Sent DS-1076 form + entire packet "ready for interview" to Sydney Consulate

10May2010 "Packet 4" received from Sydney Consulate (via email only)

25May2010 Interview

01Jun2010 Visa Received In-hand

28Jul2010 PoE San Francisco, California

02Aug2010 Tied the knot!!

_________ AOS (waiting for marriage certificate to file with I485/131/765/486)

"No lawyers were involved (or harmed) in this K-1 process"

I believe the I-134 is required at the interview date.

I would for sure fill out the form and sign it and give it to your fiancee.

Filed I-751: December 29 2012
Rec NOA1: January 7 2013
Biometrics:January 25 2013

Green card approved: June 17 2013
OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU ARE SO FINE. OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU BLOW MY MIND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The precise requirement the consulate needs you to fulfill with the I-134 is to provide "proof that you will not become a public charge." In principle, there are many ways to prove this. The vast majority of consulates are expecting you to provide (at least) a completed I-134, with a significant amount of accompanying evidence. Some may also want some of the additional documentation listed in the instructions for the I-834. The precise documentary requirements will vary from consulate to consulate, and indeed consulate officer to consulate officer.

While it is possible to fulfill the "proving I will not become a public charge" requirement without an I-134, attempting to do so will almost certainly confuse the consulate officer. Confusing consulate officers is practically never a good idea. :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support may be requested.)"

Does that mean I-134 at interview time is not required automatically but they could ask for it?

Guide on this site gives the impression that it's a required form. Has anyone here used anything other than I-134 at interview as evidence of financial support?

I think it's really required.. if you don't want to encounter any delays in your visa journey. then you should have one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

...I-834... should read I-864

You have received the recommended advice. Submit I-134 and more documentation then what is often suggested.

No bank letter but if your income exceeds the 125% poverty line as shown in I-864P then submit;

three years of tax records or transcripts

pay stubs (3-6 months)

lwtter of employment

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You're reading general info from the Department of State. There is no requirement by the Department of State for consulates to use the I-134. Each consulate can dictate what they will require to meet the public charge requirement. As others have stated, the overwhelming majority of consulates will require an I-134 and supporting evidence. If the consulate asks for an I-134 in the interview instructions, and the beneficiary doesn't have it at the interview, then he/she probably won't be getting a visa.

That statement on the DoS travel site should probably be rewritten "Form I-134, Affidavit of Support will probably be requested".

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Thanks all for very useful info and tips.

Although the list on the State site leaves a different impression, going by shere it seems this form is almost always needed.

I-134 instructions state that employed persons need to supply:

A- letter from bank

B- letter from employer

Only self-employed is asked to submit tax return for one year.

I'm assuming advice here is to keep things on safer side and supply much more than what is being asked. Being a curious and somewhat lazy being that I am, has anyone here gone through interview successfully without supplying tax returns?

Thanks again for all your input.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Those darn instructions, always muddying up the water.

It is standard practice to submit at least your last tax return with the I-134, even if not self-employed. As well as a letter from your employer.

If your income is sufficient in meeting the poverty guideline and you are not claiming assets, you should not need a letter from your bank. I'd personally include as much info as I could gather, though.

I'm unemployed and was approved using solely my assets -- and I still submitted my last three year's worth of tax returns, my last six pay stubs, a letter from my previous employer saying I was in good standing to return, and a letter from my bank totaling my accounts. I didn't necessarily need all of that, but I slept better at night knowing I had every bit of supporting evidence I could muster in hand should my situation have veered off into a direction I had not anticipated.

Hey, at least you are asking. When we went in for our Interview there was a girl that was blue-slipped because she failed to bring in an I-134 or financial support evidence at all to her K-1 interview. And was wandering around in tears asking everyone what is was.

Note to all USC's -- don't do that to your lovely bride-to-be...

And if you are a groom, please don't cry when you realize you don't have all of your documents...

Has anyone ever been approved without supplying a tax return? They asked me for mine, and as I said I'm unemployed, claimed zero income, and relied entirely upon my assets. It didn't even have any relevance to my case.

Now is not the time for laziness! :dance:

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

To add in, if you do not need financial support (say your a working immigrant, with 40 qtrs of work assigned to you all ready for some reason), you would not need an I-134 or I-864, so the like Jim posted, it is just "general" info on the State website, to cover all bases.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks all for very useful info and tips.

Although the list on the State site leaves a different impression, going by shere it seems this form is almost always needed.

I-134 instructions state that employed persons need to supply:

A- letter from bank

B- letter from employer

Only self-employed is asked to submit tax return for one year.

I'm assuming advice here is to keep things on safer side and supply much more than what is being asked. Being a curious and somewhat lazy being that I am, has anyone here gone through interview successfully without supplying tax returns?

Thanks again for all your input.

To which consulate? Someone doing it in London has no bearing on the chances it can be done anywhere else in the world successfully

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.