sonobi

Divorcing during AOS: What can I do?

59 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I happily married my husband from Nigeria. We met in Belgium; and he was absolutely fabulous. I saw no indications of a cheater or lier in him at all what so ever while I was in Belgium with him. I moved back to the US and he stayed in Belgium for about 5 months. At some point, i started to question hi loyaty and fidelty to me during our abscences from each other. He ensured me each time we spoke on the phone. So, of course I felt guilty for the accusations I've implied towards him. Long story short: He arrived to the US, and we got married right away and applied for the AOS immediately. At the same time, my husband was behaving bizzar totally unlike him in Belgium. I kept feeling as if he was in love with another woman somewhere else. We argued a lot and couldn't be in the same rooom for more than five minutes. He decided to take a trip to WA to visit one of his friends....and the same night, I went into his emails and found a lot of pictures of him and so many different women from Begluim to Nigeria.

It was quite obvious that he fell in love with a woman from Belgium. He was also emailing his first love that happens to live in the US; telling her that he couldn't wait to get to the US so that he can be with her. Anyway all blew up and he still wants to deny most of the relationships with these women having explanations for each including blaming me for his turning to another woman.

Now, I'm starting to feel as if I'm his free ticket to the US. When he thought that I sent a letter to USCIS requesting a cancelation (yes, I told him that lie), he was telling all of his friends that I was the most evil woman alive. Then he found out that I never sent the letter of cancelation; and all of a sudden, I'm the nicest person to exists. He now changed his tone with me and avoids any conversations about these women that he lied to me about. Now, I find out that he has more money on his person that he actually disclosed to me.

He's been taking advise from his friends that have been telling him to leave me. So when I purchased his ticket to fly to Atlanta to be with his sister, he completely changed his mind about the whole travel. we will be divorced on 14 May 10.

My question: What can he do to stay in the US? Thanks.

Broken hearted.

Have you guys successfully adjusted his status? By that, I mean does he have a greencard?

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If he has is green card then it is get divorced and move on. Divorce is no fun, but it is survivable.

If he has not been approved for the GC, then you could revoke your I-864 Affidavit of Support and the Adjustment of Status based on your marriage would not be able to happen.

He could petition to Adjust Status on his own. There isn't anything you can do to stop him from attempting to do so.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

If he has is green card then it is get divorced and move on. Divorce is no fun, but it is survivable.

If he has not been approved for the GC, then you could revoke your I-864 Affidavit of Support and the Adjustment of Status based on your marriage would not be able to happen.

He could petition to Adjust Status on his own. There isn't anything you can do to stop him from attempting to do so.

Thank you....I don't want to stop him from adjusting himself. I just don't feel secure with the I-864. That's 10 years long of an attachment that I'm not willing to do. Is there another way that he can do this without my affidavit of Support. He does not have his GC yet. We're just now entering the biometric appointment at end of this month. But our divorce will be final in mid May. Any advice.

If you dont allow the affidavit, they will not let him get his greencard. Im sorry this has happened to you, but if you allow him to adjust, based on your marriage and get his greencard, you will be responsible for him for 10 years, or until he becomes a US citizen.

Edited by coraliesolms

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

I think you will find that most people here on VJ don't support people that scam people for a GC.

Since you aren't going to try and prevent him from getting his GC I "hope" he won't scam you further by using public assistance and costing you more.

If you "pull" the I-864 it "should" prevent him from doing so unless he can do a I-360.

:thumbs:

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

I think you will find that most people here on VJ don't support people that scam people for a GC.

Since you aren't going to try and prevent him from getting his GC I "hope" he won't scam you further by using public assistance and costing you more.

If you "pull" the I-864 it "should" prevent him from doing so unless he can do a I-360.

What is an I-360? You are right about this scamming. He is now very upset with me for going online trying to find answers. I will pull the I-864.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It's a 2 edge sword, IMO .

If you WANT him to 'get some status' and stay in USA, he'll have to have his greencard.

That adjustment of status to GET the greencard is based on a bonafide marriage to a US Citizen.

This AOS process puts the USC 'on the hook' for 10 years, a contract between the USC and the US Government.

OTOH,

If you do NOT want to be 'on the hook' for these 10 years -

and SINCE he's not been granted a green card (yet) -

then YOU, the USC, can withdraw the I-864, affadavit of support, prior to either interview day or final adjudication.

IMO (however flawed ) - he's simply married you for the greencard, all else is for show, and he has a handler (or two).

I base that on his dichotomy of his treatment towards you, and the pile of emails that you've found.

IIWY, I'd ditch immediately, file for divorce, and withdraw the I-864, all in parallel.

If you'd like a professional opinion on this - hey ! The ICE hotline # is at the bottom of this page, in the fine print - give them a call, and get some 'other advice'.

Good Luck, however it goes, whatever you decide to you - ya, I always believe any rift is repairable, but at some point, you have to decide if you really are gonna bail out, or no.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What is an I-360? You are right about this scamming. He is now very upset with me for going online trying to find answers. I will pull the I-864.

Hi hon, I am sorry for your heartache and wish you all the best.

As far as he is concerned, if he really and truly loved you, he would not have to lie or cheat on you. I know it is painful, but a this point in time you have to do what is best for you.

Please carefully read the following:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=95be2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-360instr.pdf

Do note that this is is only option to stay here based on his K-1 visa. Do not harm him or abuse him in any way- so as to not make him eligible to file I-360. ALL the BEST

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

It's a 2 edge sword, IMO .

If you WANT him to 'get some status' and stay in USA, he'll have to have his greencard.

That adjustment of status to GET the greencard is based on a bonafide marriage to a US Citizen.

This AOS process puts the USC 'on the hook' for 10 years, a contract between the USC and the US Government.

OTOH,

If you do NOT want to be 'on the hook' for these 10 years -

and SINCE he's not been granted a green card (yet) -

then YOU, the USC, can withdraw the I-864, affadavit of support, prior to either interview day or final adjudication.

IMO (however flawed ) - he's simply married you for the greencard, all else is for show, and he has a handler (or two).

I base that on his dichotomy of his treatment towards you, and the pile of emails that you've found.

IIWY, I'd ditch immediately, file for divorce, and withdraw the I-864, all in parallel.

If you'd like a professional opinion on this - hey ! The ICE hotline # is at the bottom of this page, in the fine print - give them a call, and get some 'other advice'.

Good Luck, however it goes, whatever you decide to you - ya, I always believe any rift is repairable, but at some point, you have to decide if you really are gonna bail out, or no.

Thanks for the advice. Another question: Could his sister be his sponsor? I am not interested at all in being responsible for this man; at the same time, I don't want to be looked at as the evil witch that took away his GC. The fact still remains that he deceived and cheated on me and I can't seem to get over that. So, I'm prepared to walk out of this marriage and do what is best for me without hurting myself financially.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

re: sister - No, not for this visa and subsequent AOS and subsequent green card .

This AOS is based on marriage to a US Citizen. Period.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks for the advice. Another question: Could his sister be his sponsor? I am not interested at all in being responsible for this man; at the same time, I don't want to be looked at as the evil witch that took away his GC. The fact still remains that he deceived and cheated on me and I can't seem to get over that. So, I'm prepared to walk out of this marriage and do what is best for me without hurting myself financially.

I believe you answered your question - how can you blame yourself or paint yourself as "evil" when he is the one cheating on you?

Drop the affidavit - get divorced - move on.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I-360 is filing a self petition for numerous reasons.

Check besaangels post about battered spouse.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.