pookie123

AGE DIFFERENCE

81 posts in this topic

The OP is Filipina, folks. Large age gaps are culturally appropriate in the Philippines. :whistle: Posters from different countries and cultures here are replying from a different experience and world view and irrelevance.

You will be fine if you can demonstrate a bonafide relationship.

Even though a 40 year age gap is pushing it, even in the PR, you will be fine, if the Kano made 2 or 3 trips to visit you, and sent you cards and emails and cell loads, and made lovey dovey pics with you.

Ignore those herewho only think they know what they are talking about in reference to your case.

Good luck, and you will be fine!

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

i found that out when i was searching for the reasons of denial during interview ( i just can't remeber what site is that). :unsure:

My fiance visit me just once but stayed for almost 2 months.

I sent him cards and we also have chatlogs from yahoo and call records in skype.

We also got copies of our telephone bills.

We got lots of pictures with my friends and family.

Do you think it is enough to prove that we have bona fide relationship?

03/29/10------129F sent
03/31/10------Received by CSC
04/01/10------NOA1
04/02/10------TOUCHED
04/06/10------Received NOA1 hard copy
06/09/10------NOA2
06/14/10------NVC received
06/16/10------NVC left
06/21/10------Consulate Received
07/12-13/10---Medical Examination (PASSED)
07/19/10------Interview (APPROVED)
07/23/10------VISA ON HAND..
10/27/10------POE @ Detroit
10/30/10------Wedding Day
AOS:
11/12/10------Sent AOS & EAD packet
11/14/10------Delivered to Chicago, IL
11/19/10------E-notifications received & NOA1
11/22/10------Rejection Notice for check $340 for EAD & $1010 check cleared
11/23/10------TOUCHED (I-485 & EAD)& Received NOA1 hard copy
11/24/10------TOUCHED (I-485 & EAD)
11/26/10------TOUCHED (I-485 & EAD)
11/29/10------Received Biometrics Letter (Scheduled 12/08)
12/08/10------Biometrics Appointment
01/28/11------Received text/email for EAD card production
02/03/11------Received another text/email for EAD card production
02/08/11------Received EAD card
02/10/11------Interview (APPROVED)
02/15/11------Received text/email GC production
02/18/11------Received another text/email GC production
02/25/11------Received GC

ROC:

12/15/12-----Mailed Lifting of Conditions Packet

12/19/12-----NOA1

01/24/13-----Biometrics done

07/09/13-----Received email GC production

07/10/13-----Received another email GC production

07/15/13-----Received 10-yr GC

6uic9nb5yrz.png

thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

i found that out when i was searching for the reasons of denial during interview ( i just can't remeber what site is that). unsure.gif

My fiance visit me just once but stayed for almost 2 months.

I sent him cards and we also have chatlogs from yahoo and call records in skype.

We also got copies of our telephone bills.

We got lots of pictures with my friends and family.

Do you think it is enough to prove that we have bona fide relationship?

These are good, also make copies of the hotels and trips you made, and also or course his passport stamp,

and also it's how you answer the questions of CO, be firm/confident with your answers and look at him straight in his eyes..good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i dont think your fiance is allowed to go with you inside the embassy premises in Manila on your interview date. only those who have an appointment are allowed to enter. i could be wrong but its good that you check as early as now.

but like most reply posts here, the burden is proving your relationship is genuine. so get lots of evidence to proof that your relationship is true.

God bless!

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i dont think your fiance is allowed to go with you inside the embassy premises in Manila on your interview date. only those who have an appointment are allowed to enter. i could be wrong but its good that you check as early as now.

but like most reply posts here, the burden is proving your relationship is genuine. so get lots of evidence to proof that your relationship is true.

God bless!

USC's are allowed to go into the embassy with US passport. In Manila they also usually let the Petitioner hang around for the interview.

~Johnny~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on the CO. But as long as you two can provide lots of evidences of genuine relationship, then you'll be fine, your fiance doesn't need to be present during your interview.

USC's are allowed to go into the embassy with US passport. In Manila they also usually let the Petitioner hang around for the interview.

:thumbs:

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

If you're afraid that the age difference may result in a denial, the USC attending can help nip in the bud the bonafides, even if they can only sit in the lobby during the interview. Typically, an older man doesn't have many problems (though, I'll be honest: 40 years may be pushing things, from the consulate's point of view as that age difference is *very* uncommon in the US), and it's an older woman (5+ years) where you will see issues at many consulates - MENA, especially.

Legally, they CANNOT deny you for your age difference, because it's something that USCIS and the NVC was aware of when your petition went through the approval stage.

However, it is a red flag, and if there are any other red flags (mismatching stories, limited communication, only one or two visits, unusually fast engagement, not disclosing criminal/martial history, too many K1 applications, how you met, etc), you very well may see yourself being kicked into AP, kicked back to USCIS for reaffirmation, or flat out denied.

If your fiancé cannot be at the interview, make sure you are well prepared and all your documentation is in order. Make sure that any other potential red flags can be addressed with evidence or thoroughly explained.

Be prepared that you might have to fight for your visa.

I find it interesting how 'an older woman' being five or more years older might be a problem. Why five, for example. Very odd. I can see the point where the age gap is 30/40 years. I don't see anything wrong with that but I can see why the Embassies/USCIS might throw a wobbler. As long as you have proof and stay true to yourself. I don't mean to imply that your relationship isn't legitimate, but I can see why the USCIS might be more demanding of evidence.

My other half is 5 years older than me (at present, it'll be 4 when my birthday rolls around next month). I wonder what it would be like if I were 5 years older than her. Why, as I say, is there suddenly a 'flag' at five?

Love doesn't know age, only the length of time you're in love.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

pookie, you should be fine. IMO, one two month trip really beats the pants off of three or four one or two week trips :)

My other half is 5 years older than me (at present, it'll be 4 when my birthday rolls around next month). I wonder what it would be like if I were 5 years older than her. Why, as I say, is there suddenly a 'flag' at five?

While it was an arbitrary number, from reading around (here and elsewhere), it seems that in consulates where older women-younger man relationships are culturally discouraged and abnormal (such as MENA), around 5-7 years older is where the consulate will start looking for problems, and at 7-10 years, they'll start really questioning. While older woman/younger man isn't terribly common in the US/Canada/Europe (like yourself), it's also not uncommon; this is not the case elsewhere in the world (like where my fiancé is from). On the flip side, when the man is older, it's significantly older (25, 30 years in cultures where significantly older men are not common) that similar questioning will start happening, and at 35, 40 years, they'll really probe.

Is it discriminatory? Yes. Are cultural norms something that should be taken into consideration when looking at potentially fraudulent petitions? Yes. Is it something that you should be aware of going into the interview? Yes. Is it something that can be proactively dealt with? Yes - by preparing for the interview (the personal questions, etc), having the USC attend if possible (even if they can't be in the interview area), being able to show the bonafides of the relationship, being able to show that you fully intend to marry within 90 days of POE (having preliminary plans sketched out).

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Not true. Petitioner is always allowed into the embassy and ususlly allowed into the interview in Manila. I was with my fiancee every step of the interview process.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

4. A very large age difference between the couple can cause concern. However, there is no specific age limitation.

I am kinda worried about this issue since my fiance and I have 40+ age difference. Will it really be one of the reasons for denial of K-1 fiance visa or not?

:crying:

Hi! My husband and I are 60 yrs gap of age. But during my interview, the consulate never asked me about our age gap. Fortunately, my interview was so smoothed and the consulate was so good to me. He never asked a lot of questions regarding our age gap or etc. he was focused asking about my documents and thats it and my visa has been approved! But i agree with the others that maybe it is depend of the consulate you will be dealing with because on the day of my interview my interviewer was a bit older too. ;) But unfortunately, i regretted why did i choose my ex-husband to be my husband coz it is so much harder dealing with a husband who's seriously a lot of years older than you. I hope you will find happiness with your fiancee and not like mine.

Hi! My husband and I are 60 yrs gap of age. But during my interview, the consulate never asked me about our age gap. Fortunately, my interview was so smoothed and the consulate was so good to me. He never asked a lot of questions regarding our age gap or etc. he was focused asking about my documents and thats it and my visa has been approved! But i agree with the others that maybe it is depend of the consulate you will be dealing with because on the day of my interview my interviewer was a bit older too. ;) But unfortunately, i regretted why did i choose my ex-husband to be my husband coz it is so much harder dealing with a husband who's seriously a lot of years older than you. I hope you will find happiness with your fiancee and not like mine.

60 years??? That's a record! What country?

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

:rofl:

And I felt like a "DIRTY old Man" at 18 yrs difference..... :devil:

:wow:

I know of one that has a 50 year gap. 24 pinay and 74 puti with a pecker pump!

No BS!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.