SOlcayto

Is it just me or is it easier for males to get a job?

45 posts in this topic

i think it depends on the job...and the amount per sex that go into the field..nurses..mainly female.social workers..mainly female...IT..mainly geeks

Edited by almaty2004

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Also depends on the age. If you're a woman between 20-40, chances are you might decide to have a child. If you're married, chances of pregancies are even higher. Having a child does not help either. It's not like your employer is allowed to ask you these questions so they pretty much assume - based on your age group - that you want to have children. It sucks, but at least you know once you have a job that a possible pregnancy has already been considered.

As to interviewing skills, it's really helpful to do mock interviews just to get a feel for it and to develop confidence. It's also useful to have some questions for the interviewer (not how much will you pay or how much vacation would I have). Finally, preparing for an interview is a job in itself; get to know as much as possible about your prospective employer and think of ways your skills would benefit the company.

You might also want to revise your resume and/or cover letter if you feel your application is not being considered.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I actually got the job that I'm at now by asking tons of questions like: " How would you describe the corporate culture here" "Cultural diversity is important to me, how important is it here" (They like that one bc I'm a white chick asking about it, lol, but it's true, I do find it important) "How many employees are here" "Do you like working here" "How much potential is there to move up" "How often is there in-house promotions as opposed to bringing someone in a managerial or supervisor type position from the outside" This was probably my best interview and I have been stuck here for 2 years so I know I'm rusty again, lol.

I am trying to break into a new field, so I know I need to interview really well to make up for the lack of experience. I'm trying to get into editing or proofreading or anything to do with writing. The only thing I really have going for me at this point is I have a degree in French and English, but as far as experience goes, not much.

Anyone else make a drastic career change and found success? Or what problems did you run into?

SOL

P.S. Karo, you know I got some attitude, it just takes a break during interviews for some reason, lol.

Married May 21, 2004 in Istanbul.

NVC Timeline (to make my signature smaller)

02/11/2005 I-130 APPROVED!!!

03/12/2005 NVC sent I-864 fee bill to me.

03/28/2005 Received NVC case number and I-864 bill.

03/29/2005 Husband in Turkey receives DS-3032

04/01/2005 Husband mails the DS-3032 via UPS.

04/02/2005 Sent fee bill overnight to NVC

04/15/2005 Received IV Visa bill.

04/16/2005 Overnighted IV Visa bill.

05/11/2005 Received I-864 packet.

05/16/2005 Faxed requests for tax return transcripts.

06/01/2005 Received tax returns from IRS.

06/02/2005 Received W-2's from IRS.

06/03/2005 Mailed I-864 packet with required documents.

06/06/2005 NVC received I-864 packet.

06/17/2005 Mailed DS-230 papers to husband.

06/24/2005 Called NVC, I-864 is complete

08/18/2005 NVC received biographic info from husband.

09/15/2005 NVC message, RFE (not enough passport pages copied and sent)

09/30/2005 NVC receives RFE, entered in system.

11/01/2005 CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!

11/08/2005 Case forwarded to Embassy

12/27/2005 INTERVIEW IN ANKARA!!!

12/27/2005 Was told to get a joint sponsor (total #######)

01/20/2006 Embassy received our joint sponsor packet.

01/30/2006 Visa arrived at my husband's house via UPS!!!!

02/03/2006 Husband comes home to Austin, Texas!!!

Filed: Timeline

No problems here...I would like to think it's because I have excellent degrees from excellent universities and have fantastic references, but more and more I am realising that it's actually because companies like having someone with a prep school English accent working for them. I am nothing but ear candy! ;)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

You're an accent #######, just handing it out like that, shame on you!

SOL

(Actually I would do the same thing, lol)

Married May 21, 2004 in Istanbul.

NVC Timeline (to make my signature smaller)

02/11/2005 I-130 APPROVED!!!

03/12/2005 NVC sent I-864 fee bill to me.

03/28/2005 Received NVC case number and I-864 bill.

03/29/2005 Husband in Turkey receives DS-3032

04/01/2005 Husband mails the DS-3032 via UPS.

04/02/2005 Sent fee bill overnight to NVC

04/15/2005 Received IV Visa bill.

04/16/2005 Overnighted IV Visa bill.

05/11/2005 Received I-864 packet.

05/16/2005 Faxed requests for tax return transcripts.

06/01/2005 Received tax returns from IRS.

06/02/2005 Received W-2's from IRS.

06/03/2005 Mailed I-864 packet with required documents.

06/06/2005 NVC received I-864 packet.

06/17/2005 Mailed DS-230 papers to husband.

06/24/2005 Called NVC, I-864 is complete

08/18/2005 NVC received biographic info from husband.

09/15/2005 NVC message, RFE (not enough passport pages copied and sent)

09/30/2005 NVC receives RFE, entered in system.

11/01/2005 CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!

11/08/2005 Case forwarded to Embassy

12/27/2005 INTERVIEW IN ANKARA!!!

12/27/2005 Was told to get a joint sponsor (total #######)

01/20/2006 Embassy received our joint sponsor packet.

01/30/2006 Visa arrived at my husband's house via UPS!!!!

02/03/2006 Husband comes home to Austin, Texas!!!

i think it depends on the job...and the amount per sex that go into the field..nurses..mainly female.social workers..mainly female...IT..mainly geeks

"geeks" is a gender all of its own, eh? :P

yes sir!

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Also depends on the age. If you're a woman between 20-40, chances are you might decide to have a child. If you're married, chances of pregancies are even higher. Having a child does not help either. It's not like your employer is allowed to ask you these questions so they pretty much assume - based on your age group - that you want to have children. It sucks, but at least you know once you have a job that a possible pregnancy has already been considered.

I've been in hiring positions in four different companies here so far and not once have I ever considered any such thing nor have my employer encourage any such consideration. :no:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I've been in hiring positions in four different companies here so far and not once have I ever considered any such thing nor have my employer encourage any such consideration. :no:

I have not found this to be a consideration at all.

I mostly agree with Agent Smith that men have more self assurance, while women are more realistic about their capabilities (i.e. they don't brag as much). I'm not saying it against men, but I think women should be more assertive in job search / presenting their accomplishments.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Of course, it doesn't happen everywhere, but it has happened and continues to happen. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a law about it or informative resources on the web. Furthermore, because there is a law about it, noone in a hiring position would admit that a potential pregnancy would be considered a reason not to hire.

An FAQ on the topic.

An article offering some examples.

Edited by Fischkoepfin

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Maybe there is still discrimination against women. I wouldn't discount that at all.

However, I have also observed, from personal experience interviewing candidates, that many female applicants lack interview skills. Many do not, but many do. Among male candidates, however, interviewing skills are usually more well developed. And that actually makes my job harder, which is why I actually prefer interviewing women, lol.

For example, I could not begin to tell you how many times I've asked a woman if she's currently working on any projects on her own time or studying a new technology .. anything.. and had her say, point blank, "no". Men never say no, they try to bullsh!t me and some of them are actually pretty good at it.

I find it fascinating that BS is preferred over honesty! However, I do understand what you are getting at. You want someone with self direction, and continued learning. At the same time, many women still maintain a majority of household responsibilities and child care. We find it difficult to take 10 minutes for ourselves, let alone do something like take a course, etc.

I think that men are better at BS in certain situations. And of course women have their own areas of BS expertise :devil:

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Sol, if you would like someone to take an objective look at your resume, please PM me and I'll give you my email addy. I know I'm a Brit and had to revamp my CV into what you guys consider a resume, but I spent a lot of time doing it and got a lot of valuable advice.

I was offered both of the jobs I interviewed for, but I also sent in a lot of letters and didn't get anything back. It seems to be an "all or nothing" thing.

I also strongly recommend the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" - it might give you some additional ideas.

Christina :star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Of course, it doesn't happen everywhere, but it has happened and continues to happen. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a law about it or informative resources on the web. Furthermore, because there is a law about it, noone in a hiring position would admit that a potential pregnancy would be considered a reason not to hire.

Firstly, there are many useless laws on the books. To argue that there must be a wrong because there's a law to deal with it is not very convincing. After all, rumor has it that in Tennessee it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping...

Secondly, consider that since it is not only against the law but also against a reasonable sense of human decency to deny a position to a qualified female solely for the reason that she may become pregnant at some point in the future, many individuals in hiring positions will not make that a part of their consideration and decision.

Lastly, gotta ask yourself: Would you really want to work for an employer where such consideration is actually made during the hiring process? What would that mean for your prospects of being rewarded and promoted for your hard work?

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen at all. Prejudices exists and will continue to exist no matter how many laws are written to deal with the consequences of them. But I do not believe that discrimination against female applicants of child bearing age is a systemic and/or widespread problem in the US today. :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Secondly, consider that since it is not only against the law but also against a reasonable sense of human decency to deny a position to a qualified female solely for the reason that she may become pregnant at some point in the future, many individuals in hiring positions will not make that a part of their consideration and decision.

Lastly, gotta ask yourself: Would you really want to work for an employer where such consideration is actually made during the hiring process? What would that mean for your prospects of being rewarded and promoted for your hard work?

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen at all. Prejudices exists and will continue to exist no matter how many laws are written to deal with the consequences of them. But I do not believe that discrimination against female applicants of child bearing age is a systemic and/or widespread problem in the US today. :no:

And I think you're wrong. With the rising cost of healthcare, the inconvenience to an employer (especially a small one) of covering even a short maternity leave and the fact that regardless of the fact she's working outside the home, a woman still typically bears the brunt of much of the childcare and housework, it's a serious consideration for employers - legal or not. If they think you're going to be carrying baggage, they will find a way of shutting you out of the position. It is still a widespread problem in the US, no matter how much well-intentioned men say that equality has been reached in terms of attitudes to employment.

But no, I personally would not want to work for a company with that attitude. :no:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.