SOlcayto

Is it just me or is it easier for males to get a job?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

For ex: I have a friend who had lived in Austin and then moved away for 2 years to NY with her boyfriend and then decided to move back. When she was in NY, she had a much better job than him and he even got laid off. Also, when they had moved to NY it took her longer to get a job than him but in the end she had the better job.

When they got back to Austin, he found a job in less than a week and it took her almost 7 months. I have noticed in my own pursuit to find a new and better job, that most of the time I don't even get an interview. Maybe, it's my resume but I don't think so. I know guys who have less education and less experience than me and they have no problem getting the jobs they apply for. I just know that my husband is going to get a good job right away and he's going to be looking at me like, "What has been your problem for the past 2 years?" He would never be mean about it but I know he's still going to think that, I mean how could you not.

What's going on here? Is that glass ceiling still there but just cleaned with Ultra-shine Windex so we have forgotten about it?

Please. enlighten me.

SOL

Married May 21, 2004 in Istanbul.

NVC Timeline (to make my signature smaller)

02/11/2005 I-130 APPROVED!!!

03/12/2005 NVC sent I-864 fee bill to me.

03/28/2005 Received NVC case number and I-864 bill.

03/29/2005 Husband in Turkey receives DS-3032

04/01/2005 Husband mails the DS-3032 via UPS.

04/02/2005 Sent fee bill overnight to NVC

04/15/2005 Received IV Visa bill.

04/16/2005 Overnighted IV Visa bill.

05/11/2005 Received I-864 packet.

05/16/2005 Faxed requests for tax return transcripts.

06/01/2005 Received tax returns from IRS.

06/02/2005 Received W-2's from IRS.

06/03/2005 Mailed I-864 packet with required documents.

06/06/2005 NVC received I-864 packet.

06/17/2005 Mailed DS-230 papers to husband.

06/24/2005 Called NVC, I-864 is complete

08/18/2005 NVC received biographic info from husband.

09/15/2005 NVC message, RFE (not enough passport pages copied and sent)

09/30/2005 NVC receives RFE, entered in system.

11/01/2005 CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!

11/08/2005 Case forwarded to Embassy

12/27/2005 INTERVIEW IN ANKARA!!!

12/27/2005 Was told to get a joint sponsor (total #######)

01/20/2006 Embassy received our joint sponsor packet.

01/30/2006 Visa arrived at my husband's house via UPS!!!!

02/03/2006 Husband comes home to Austin, Texas!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

i'm in the education field where there are so many females I know for a fact that males will get a job faster. Actually I take that back - it depends. In the classroom jobs, there are so many more women...

In the upper, administrative jobs, MANY more men...so maybe you're right SOL - men would get hired faster in this field.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I dont know. but, I never had a problem getting or keeping a job. Trying to get an airline job < thats what I do > is highly compettive. I never had a problem landing one. I got my job instantly- infact, I was on<PG> bedrest when I got a call to interview for my job. I was not at the time looking for any jobs< already had an airline job >. so, I went to the interview and landed the best job I ever had.

* I forgot to add airline jobs consist of being interviewed in stages, and in front of panels.

they are done in group settings.

Edited by shonjaved
shon.gif

For ex: I have a friend who had lived in Austin and then moved away for 2 years to NY with her boyfriend and then decided to move back. When she was in NY, she had a much better job than him and he even got laid off. Also, when they had moved to NY it took her longer to get a job than him but in the end she had the better job.

When they got back to Austin, he found a job in less than a week and it took her almost 7 months. I have noticed in my own pursuit to find a new and better job, that most of the time I don't even get an interview. Maybe, it's my resume but I don't think so. I know guys who have less education and less experience than me and they have no problem getting the jobs they apply for. I just know that my husband is going to get a good job right away and he's going to be looking at me like, "What has been your problem for the past 2 years?" He would never be mean about it but I know he's still going to think that, I mean how could you not.

What's going on here? Is that glass ceiling still there but just cleaned with Ultra-shine Windex so we have forgotten about it?

Please. enlighten me.

SOL

Maybe there is still discrimination against women. I wouldn't discount that at all.

However, I have also observed, from personal experience interviewing candidates, that many female applicants lack interview skills. Many do not, but many do. Among male candidates, however, interviewing skills are usually more well developed. And that actually makes my job harder, which is why I actually prefer interviewing women, lol.

For example, I could not begin to tell you how many times I've asked a woman if she's currently working on any projects on her own time or studying a new technology .. anything.. and had her say, point blank, "no". Men never say no, they try to bullsh!t me and some of them are actually pretty good at it.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

i realized my answer made no sense.

You'd think since companies are trying to stay diverse, more women would get jobs.

<sigh> I'm making no sense today...my head feels fuzzy...I need to stop typing I think!

I have a job, I like my job, I found it in NO tim - BUT it's education. In florida they'll hire anyone without a felony.

Yeah, attitude and delivery count for a lot.

oh SOL's got the attitude :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I have a job, I like my job, I found it in NO tim - BUT it's education. In florida they'll hire anyone without a felony.

My wife went to a seminar on becoming a teacher in New Jersey using the "alternate route". They pretty much told her if she didn't intend to teach science or math, that she shouldn't even bother. Struck me as the wrong message to send people.

AS, does your wife have her green card yet? I don't remember if she does or not, but if she does, that will qualify her for a number of alternative certification programs. They're particularly interested in hiring from diverse backgrounds and have teaching positions available in a wide variety of subjects (not just science and math). PM me if you're interested.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

right now my dear friend < male> cant get a job to save his life.

wanna know why? he is looking for the job that is gonna pay a kings salary and he is NOT willing to work for it. he is not willing to work a job and build tenure or a reputation for consistancy. he is a teacher, but he dont wanna teach. so he sniffs around trying diffrent areas of work example : selling cell phones. he got 2 job offers with my company. he had something to complain about the job. example.

oh what if someone yell at me. oh what if I have to help push a plane. oh if that or this. yet at the same time he hollers, I need medical insurance. I tell them medical insurance is dirt cheap at my company. build a good reputation and advance. he is not willing to get his foot in the door.

shon.gif

right now my dear friend < male> cant get a job to save his life.

wanna know why? he is looking for the job that is gonna pay a kings salary and he is NOT willing to work for it. he is not willing to work a job and build tenure or a reputation for consistancy. he is a teacher, but he dont wanna teach. so he sniffs around trying diffrent areas of work example : selling cell phones. he got 2 job offers with my company. he had something to complain about the job. example.

oh what if someone yell at me. oh what if I have to help push a plane. oh if that or this. yet at the same time he hollers, I need medical insurance. I tell them medical insurance is dirt cheap at my company. build a good reputation and advance. he is not willing to get his foot in the door.

Sounds familiar. A guy I know, we graduated together, he still has not held a real job for more than a few months. At one point, I told him there was an opening for a Tech Writer position where I worked and that he should apply for it. He told me he didn't think it was a good idea because in Tech Writing you have to write about the product/service, and you can't write about anything you want. I asked him, are you NOW saying you want to do creative writing? He goes no.. he just doesn't want people telling him what to write :wacko:

AS, does your wife have her green card yet?

[...]

PM me if you're interested.

She does. I will PM you later today.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

AS, I think you're right about the interviewing skills. I can talk to anyone in any situation about anything but not in an interview. I can give awesome references about other people but I can't talk about myself. I feel like I'm bragging or being arrogant. Oh, and what's up with the "What is your weakness or biggest fault" question? How the hell are you supposed to answer that? Seriously, I would like to know.

Also, if anyone knows of some resources that could help my interviewing skills, I would appreciate it.

SOL

Married May 21, 2004 in Istanbul.

NVC Timeline (to make my signature smaller)

02/11/2005 I-130 APPROVED!!!

03/12/2005 NVC sent I-864 fee bill to me.

03/28/2005 Received NVC case number and I-864 bill.

03/29/2005 Husband in Turkey receives DS-3032

04/01/2005 Husband mails the DS-3032 via UPS.

04/02/2005 Sent fee bill overnight to NVC

04/15/2005 Received IV Visa bill.

04/16/2005 Overnighted IV Visa bill.

05/11/2005 Received I-864 packet.

05/16/2005 Faxed requests for tax return transcripts.

06/01/2005 Received tax returns from IRS.

06/02/2005 Received W-2's from IRS.

06/03/2005 Mailed I-864 packet with required documents.

06/06/2005 NVC received I-864 packet.

06/17/2005 Mailed DS-230 papers to husband.

06/24/2005 Called NVC, I-864 is complete

08/18/2005 NVC received biographic info from husband.

09/15/2005 NVC message, RFE (not enough passport pages copied and sent)

09/30/2005 NVC receives RFE, entered in system.

11/01/2005 CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!

11/08/2005 Case forwarded to Embassy

12/27/2005 INTERVIEW IN ANKARA!!!

12/27/2005 Was told to get a joint sponsor (total #######)

01/20/2006 Embassy received our joint sponsor packet.

01/30/2006 Visa arrived at my husband's house via UPS!!!!

02/03/2006 Husband comes home to Austin, Texas!!!

Oh, and what's up with the "What is your weakness or biggest fault" question? How the hell are you supposed to answer that? Seriously, I would like to know.

I've seen two popular approaches to that one.

The first and most popular approach (and in my opinion, the most disingenious one) is telling them about a weakness that is actually something the employer would like or at least not hate. Like "I work too hard" or "I'm a perfectionist" or "I like to work without taking breaks". I hate hearing answers like that because I assume they're lying :P

The second approach I have seen to it is to tell the employer about a real problem/fault (we all have them) but they spend more time in their answer telling me what they learnt from it and less time dwelling on the original problem. I like this approach a lot better. Especially if the "what I learnt" part is something that led to one of your biggest accomplishments!

Also, if anyone knows of some resources that could help my interviewing skills, I would appreciate it.

Are you registered with your alumni association? Many colleges and universities have career services that are open to alumni. Among the services they offer, mock interviews is quite common.

I also recall hearing about a mock interview program by Enterprise rentals. I don't know if they still do that or not but they used to.

Edited by Agent Smith

AS, I think you're right about the interviewing skills. I can talk to anyone in any situation about anything but not in an interview. I can give awesome references about other people but I can't talk about myself. I feel like I'm bragging or being arrogant. Oh, and what's up with the "What is your weakness or biggest fault" question? How the hell are you supposed to answer that? Seriously, I would like to know.

SOL

I'm a female and used to have a horrible time interviewing. I took a class on how to interview and I also took beginning acting in college. So yeah...when I feel like getting shy, I just 'act' like the confident, skilled worker I know I am. I always prepare for an interview by printing out every question I can think of that they might ask, then I write down my answers, then I practice saying them. I have a great job now. In fact, the last 3 jobs I had I was told i interviewed prety well. So even though interviews make me uncomfortable, I 'fake it till I make it'---cause I know I'm a good worker.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary