13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have asked this question before, but have not gotten a clear answer yet so let me explain it better.

I have a friend who came down to america on a tourist visa, from Canada, to help our church with music and just hang out for six months. He ended up falling in love with an American Citizen and they got married a couple of days ago. His 6 month tourist visa expires in May and they want to adjust his status to permanent resident. So he is adjusting from tourist visa to permanent resident. This was not premeditated they did not know each other beforehand. What forms should they fill out ?

Thanks,

Your friend will need to file for Adjustment of Status. Please see the Guides section on this website. They will need to fill out forms I-130, I-485 and their accompanying forms. He can also apply for I-131 if he wants to go back to Canada while his file is being processed and I-765 if he desires to work in the US while his file is being processed. :yes:

04/02/2010: AOS I-130, I-485 and I-765 mailed by UPS 2nd Day Air

04/06/2010: Delivered, Signed by Chiba (Day 1)

04/13/2010: Checks cashed, NOAs received via email and text (Day 7)

04/19/2010: Hard NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765 received (Day 13)

04/23/2010: Biometrics Appointment received (Day 17)

05/04/2010: RFE for I-864 received (Day 28)

05/06/2010: RFE for I-864 mailed back (Day 30)

05/12/2010: Case processing resumed (Day 36)

05/14/2010: Biometrics Appointment, I-485 and I-765 touched (Day 38)

05/17/2010: I-485 and I-765 touched (Day 41)

06/08/2010: EAD card production ordered (Day 63)

06/19/2010: EAD card received (Day 74)

07/02/2010: Interview letter received (Day 87)

08/04/2010: Interview (Day 120)==> Approved!!. Card Production Ordered text received

08/21/2010: Greencard received (Day 137)

Eligible for ROC: 05/04/2012

Eligible for Naturalization: 08/04/2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There's a good guide here - have you reviewed it yet?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The only one i can find is if your are applying off a k-1 or a k-3 and his is a tourist visa. I have completed the k-1 for my wife using the guides, but is there a guide specifically for a tourist visa gettting married and adjusting ?

This is how it is labeled in the Guide

Special Circumstances:

Impact of Changes in Family Status

(Divorce from, Death of, or Abuse by a USC or LPR Spouse)

Criminal Record

Medical Exam Information

Adjustment of Status from other Visa Types

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The only one i can find is if your are applying off a k-1 or a k-3 and his is a tourist visa. I have completed the k-1 for my wife using the guides, but is there a guide specifically for a tourist visa gettting married and adjusting ?

Its called "married both reside in US" here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Vanessa and Darnell, Calvin was looking under the GUIDE tab at the top and the only section that speaks to adjustment of staus from other circumstances than a K visa is what was posted above. Now if we told him to look under the Wiki tab, that may have lead him to the section Vanessa posted. I know most of us generally ask if they have read the Guide, so I am guessing that most people are only looking under the guide tab.

There needs to be a refernce under the GUIDE tab to reference people over to the wiki tab. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Vanessa and Darnell, Calvin was looking under the GUIDE tab at the top and the only section that speaks to adjustment of staus from other circumstances than a K visa is what was posted above. Now if we told him to look under the Wiki tab, that may have lead him to the section Vanessa posted. I know most of us generally ask if they have read the Guide, so I am guessing that most people are only looking under the guide tab.

There needs to be a refernce under the GUIDE tab to reference people over to the wiki tab. :thumbs:

Ummm no. The guide I posted is IN the guides. The guide I posted is listed under "immigration guides for SPOUSE or fiance of USC" and is called "US Citizen and Spouse both live/reside in the US". What you suggested (and linked) is just information and not actually the guide which was requested.

**Edit - I just re-read the OP's posts.. did you have a pending K1 application??

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also! this is posted in the wrong section, this is not a family based AOS it is a tourist.. May be helpfull to post in the proper section instead.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

no - I'm specifically referring to the GUIDE section (train yer eyes down, search visually for 'US Citizen and Spouse both live/reside in the US:').

I was hesitant to post the link, it's blatantly obvious and a clickable link. I do like to help ppl here with issues and form questions and process questions - but -

The 'guide' yer 'friend' needs is on this here portal. Easily Accessible, no account required.

Good Luck !

moving to ***Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas*** forum

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks I was not sure where to post it since he is adjusting from a tourist visa, but adjusting through marriage it was all a big mystery for me since I went the k-1 route. Thanks Again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Also! this is posted in the wrong section, this is not a family based AOS it is a tourist.. May be helpfull to post in the proper section instead.

I think many of us get confused because I know when I first came here, I thought it was family based as my husband was adjusting status because we were now married, which certainly sounds like family to me. Having been here for a few months, I now understand the label is based on what kind of visa the person entered the US with.

Hopefully the OP now is able to find the guides, but let your friend know about these forums and this subforum specifically!!! :) He'll find a lot of great information here. I know I was very fortunate to find this site!! :)

Edited by laura and kyle

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.