ForgeMaster

Adult , foreign child of US citizen now wants to come to US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife came to the US in 2005 and is now a citizen in 2010. When she came here, she brought her daughter, who wanted to return to her country almost immediately. Now my wife, her mom, has lived in the US for 4 years, she has become a citizen and a lot of life has happened with her daughter. She misses her mom, her Grandmother will be coming to live with us and she will be alone.

Here is my question: Can we re-activate the original K-1 action for her daughter to continue with that process or must we initiate a new green card request for a family member in order for her to come here to live? I know the process for the green card. It is long and expensive and generally tiresome. We will do it if we must. Daughter has been turned down for visitor visas twice and is pretty discouraged about it.

I do not know how to start researching about this. There are not large numbers of immigrants with the same problem so the search for answers is more obscure.

thanks for your opinions

ForgeMaster

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The cut off age is 21, for a child.

For that K-1 - there was a 1 year window for handling the K-2 case.

Was there ANY AOS filed for the daughter?

---

If the mother files for daughter now, as a USC, an I-130 petition, there is some wait time. Not sure of the total wait time, either.

Might be cheaper, in the long run, to park the daughter in a college, have her go through as much education as possible, to a pHD level, whilst waiting for the I-130 to unwind.

Good Luck.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Her mother as a USC can file for her but since she is over 21, she will be in a different category and subject to different wait times, from what I understand.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will want to have a look at the visa bulletin, here is the most current, March 2010:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4659.html

If she is over 21 and unmarried, she would be in category 2B - Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

For Mainland China, the current processing date is Feb 1st, 2002. So basically you are looking at around an 8 year wait, the dates do fluctuate, so you can check them periodically.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

No AOS every filed for daughter. She is over 21 now. I like your idea about parking her in school. That is do-able. If she can handle the English, She could go to the community college or to get English language training. Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No AOS every filed for daughter. She is over 21 now. I like your idea about parking her in school. That is do-able. If she can handle the English, She could go to the community college or to get English language training. Thanks!

It needs to be a 'proper' course.

She will pay international tuition rates.

The F1 is a non immigrant visa, which may be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I absolutely meant to 'park her in school in Russia'.

Fees are less, she'll be in a social environment that makes sense to her, and she won't be missing Mom as much.

So if Mom files now, there's a longish wait. Hopefully the daughter will have a phD by the time she's finished waiting on the I-130 to wind it's way through USCIS and NVC.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You will want to have a look at the visa bulletin, here is the most current, March 2010:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4659.html

If she is over 21 and unmarried, she would be in category 2B - Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

For Mainland China, the current processing date is Feb 1st, 2002. So basically you are looking at around an 8 year wait, the dates do fluctuate, so you can check them periodically.

She would be F1 -- unmarried daughter of USC not F2B -- unmarried daughter of LPR. About a 6 year wait.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us split the difference, they have not filed yet and she still would have the time lag once a visa number is available - 7 years, assuming she does not marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.