Shub

Got an RFE this morning...

12 posts in this topic

Not really what I was hoping for in the mail today, but anyway...

I've been thinking about what else I could possibly send to USCIS on top of what I thought was enough, and I don't want to come up short this time, but I am short on ideas.

First, a quick bit about our situation: we live with my mother-in-law, so there is no rent, mortgage or utility bills that we can show. We own a car but I'm not on the title because we took out a loan when we got the car, and because I have no credit in this country, the loan was denied with me on it, so we had to put the loan in her name only in order to be approved. Therefore I'm not on the title.

With our petition, we already sent the following pieces of supporting evidence:

- Copy of our joint tax return for 2008

- Copies of a few bank statements which show that we hold several joint bank accounts

- Copies of both our driver’s licenses, which show the same address of residence

- Copy of our health insurance card, with both of our names on the same policy

- Copies of our joint credit cards, which show both our names and same credit card number

- Copy of a company-provided life insurance policy, the beneficiary of which is myself

- Copies of a few of the her monthly student loan installment checks we sent recently, showing both our names on the checks; although the address is our old one, the check book is still in use, and I'm the one signing the checks

- Original affidavits by U.S. citizen relatives and friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage

All I can think of is copies of the collection of bank statements we've been getting every month since 2007. It'll make for an impressive pile of papers but it's not very substantial... I've been poring over various threads here and the FAQs and nothing has really jumped at me that I can send but haven't.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for reading.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear that.

All I can suggest is maybe 2009 taxes if you have them, if not perhaps you can quickly get them done, and maybe a few more affadavits from family and friends (different people than the ones you sent). Sorry that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You could get your mother-in-law to write up something that says you both live with her and get it notarized. Also the recent tax returns and maybe a few pictures showing you guys looking happy together.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

One of the most important pieces of evidence is the joint tax return I've send a copy of every tax return for the last three years 2009, 2008, 2007. If you want you can even sent them the official tax transcripts which would be even better. Call 1800-829-1040 and request it make sure you have a fax number handy and when the IRS agent asks you if you are next to the fax machine answers yes even if you are not. more photos, letters, car insurance bills, make COSTCO membership card, NETFLIX, etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

what about car insurance in both names also showing same address? definitely send some pictures with family and friends! oh and copies of letters/postcards that are addressed to the both of you! and let your mother-in-law write something up about you guys living with her and such.

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982 - 2008

K1 Timeline

01/13/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC

05/03/2007 Petition approved!!!

08/23/2007 INTERVIEW

09/12/2007 Frankfurt - JFK - Baltimore, MD

09//28/2007 applied for SSN

10/16/2007 CIVIL MARRIAGE

10/31/2007 SS Card finally arrived

AOS Timeline

11/13/2007 sent AOS package with AP and EAD

12/19/2007 biometrics in baltimore

01/09/2008 AOS transferred to CSC

01/12/2008 CEREMONY & RECEPTION

01/16/2008 EAD and AP in mail

02/14/2008 card production ordered, approved without interview

02/22/2008 GREEN CARD in mail

I751 Timeline

11/19/2009 sent I751 to VSC

11/21/2009 received at VSC

11/24/2009 check cashed

11/30/2009 received NOA dated 11/23/09

12/15/2009 early bio walk-in failed....

12/16/2009 request to reschedule sent

01/04/2010 biometrics in baltimore being rescheduled

01/20/2010 new biometrics

03/24/2010 card production ordered, approved without interview

03/29/2010 10 year GC in mail

Timeline

Did you send them documents that covered the whole time of your marriage? Include complete statements from the bank accounts from each quarter of each year, showing both of you using the account; do the same for credit cards showing both of you using the same credit account; do you have anything in writing showing you were denied for the joint car loan? If you do, use that to show that you tried to get a joint loan and were denied; What about your 2007 tax returns? Send your 2009 tax returns - it will be too early to get a transcript but send a copy of the complete return that you file (after all the deadline is a just over a week ahead); definitely get a notarized statement from your mother that you live with her and included in the 'rent free' accommodations are utilities, etc. Do you contribute to food for the whole family? Do you do chores in exchange for the rent? She can include the terms of your living arrangements in with the statement. Have either of you made any claims or received any statements about health care? Copies of co-pay receipts acknowledged by the insurer for both of you? You could write your wills and include them naming each other as beneficiary. Are either of you listed as beneficiary or emergency contact for any work related benefits - ie retirement plans, insurance plans, etc,? Do you have any living expenses from where you used to live - the address that is still on your cheques? - that have your joint names on them, or some of them having your name and some her name? Yes, joint membership cards are good -Costco, AAA, etc. So are cards and letters addressed to both of you at the same address. You could take out a joint safety deposit box at your bank and include that receipt. Are you both listed on the car insurance even if not on the ownership documents? You should be so include that. What about a family cell phone plan for the two of you? Also, highlight the car payments coming out of your joint account to show that you are both paying for the car even if the ownership is in your wife's name.

The important thing is to try and show the continuity of co-mingling assets and liabilities from the beginning of the marriage to when you file so don't worry about sending too much documentation - not sending enough is worse.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

It is my opinion that you sent enough documents to approve your petition. What you probably did not anticipate is that you deal with drones and sometimes you just hit a malfunctioning one. Tough luck.

Here is where I would have put more emphasis, given your situation:

1) The cover letter. Telling in one paragraph who you are, where and with whom you live, what you do. P.M. me and I send you mine for guidance.

2) Taxes for the past two years. Conditional card covers two years, taxes should match.

3) Photos. Photos showing you and your wife on vacation, at your birthdays, on Christmas.

It's not spelled out, but #1 and #3 combined tell your story. Who you are. Show you as a happy couple. Send what you sent again, plus my suggestions, plus one top notch affidavit, and you should have smooth sailing. Nothing to worry about, just a hiccup.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I will agree with Just Bob that I thought you initial list should have been fine. Since it wasn't I have offered some other suggestions. The biggest possibility is that your evidence didn't cover the whole time of your marriage but only recent documents which might have triggered the RFE. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your support and answers. I have until May 15th to get back to them so I'll give all that some thought and see what happens... you're right that the evidence I sent probably didn't encompass enough of my marital period or something... buncha vultures I tell you, I just want to be married in peace!

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Hey guys,

Thanks for your support and answers. I have until May 15th to get back to them so I'll give all that some thought and see what happens... you're right that the evidence I sent probably didn't encompass enough of my marital period or something... buncha vultures I tell you, I just want to be married in peace!

Hey we must have the same person working on our case. Same thing, we submitted the same docs as you. I don't know what else to send except pictures. I'm very angry with whoever is reviewing these cases. We have until May 21 to respond.

Filed: Timeline

Not really what I was hoping for in the mail today, but anyway...

I've been thinking about what else I could possibly send to USCIS on top of what I thought was enough, and I don't want to come up short this time, but I am short on ideas.

First, a quick bit about our situation: we live with my mother-in-law, so there is no rent, mortgage or utility bills that we can show. We own a car but I'm not on the title because we took out a loan when we got the car, and because I have no credit in this country, the loan was denied with me on it, so we had to put the loan in her name only in order to be approved. Therefore I'm not on the title.

With our petition, we already sent the following pieces of supporting evidence:

- Copy of our joint tax return for 2008

- Copies of a few bank statements which show that we hold several joint bank accounts

- Copies of both our driver’s licenses, which show the same address of residence

- Copy of our health insurance card, with both of our names on the same policy

- Copies of our joint credit cards, which show both our names and same credit card number

- Copy of a company-provided life insurance policy, the beneficiary of which is myself

- Copies of a few of the her monthly student loan installment checks we sent recently, showing both our names on the checks; although the address is our old one, the check book is still in use, and I'm the one signing the checks

- Original affidavits by U.S. citizen relatives and friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage

All I can think of is copies of the collection of bank statements we've been getting every month since 2007. It'll make for an impressive pile of papers but it's not very substantial... I've been poring over various threads here and the FAQs and nothing has really jumped at me that I can send but haven't.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for reading.

Do not stress at all. RFE is not even close to a denial. You have 2 options, give them everything again with a polite letter, or give them everything again with something additional.

In the worse case scenario you will be called for an interview with a very slim chance. You will be approved at the end.

Edited by 3600rs

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

no mention of pictures. we sent datestamped pics from weddings in china and USA and pics with family members on both sides and pics in the recent snow and pics in the summertime and pics with different hairstyles and with my boys and their various girlfriends and in our house in various stages of renovation and..

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.