Calypso

Death Penalty: Dead or Alive?

23 posts in this topic

In the Philippines, death penalty has been abolished and reinstated time and time again. :innocent:

It's a zero-tolerance state. They'll just kill you in the state of Texas if you mess up.

-Harley Thomason, Bellville

Is the death penalty on death row?

By Paul Adams

BBC News, Huntsville, Texas

The scene outside the Huntsville unit of the Texas state penitentiary last Wednesday evening was a familiar one.

Police officers stood casually outside the imposing red-brick walls as a small group of passionate opponents of the death penalty railed against a punishment they say has no place in modern America.

Inside, a death row inmate, Hank Skinner, was due to be executed by lethal injection.

But with half an hour to go, word emerged that the Supreme Court in Washington had issued a last-minute stay of execution.

Skinner, convicted of the 1993 killing of his girlfriend and her two adult sons in Pampa, has always protested his innocence.

His French wife, Sandrine, expressed relief, but spoke of her anger at a process that could still result in her husband's execution.

"This system has got to stop," she told the BBC. "We are not going to stop until it's over."

The death chamber at Huntsville, which carries out all Texas death penalties, is still the busiest in the nation. Twenty-four prisoners were executed last year.

Read more here

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's about time we bring back public hangings...

Would make a good reality TV show now days ;)

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

The only problem I have with it is that death is permanent and you cant appeal it if you were wrongly accused. I have no problem with disposing of the scum that could do what this man was accused of

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

His French wife, Sandrine, expressed relief, but spoke of her anger at a process that could still result in her husband's execution.

"This system has got to stop," she told the BBC. "We are not going to stop until it's over."

The death chamber at Huntsville, which carries out all Texas death penalties, is still the busiest in the nation. Twenty-four prisoners were executed last year.

The anti-penalty people always claim that life sentences are harder on the criminals yet they also claim its more humane? Isn's that a contradiction and if not shouldn't we prolong their punishment here on Earth really nasty by hoping the prisoners tear each other to pieces in our human warehouses?

Wouldn't be better if anti-death penalty supporters had to become prison guards as a form of national service?

My bet is the French wife married him after he got to death row because there are women turned on by these misunderstood killers.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Timeline

I think it's about time we bring back public hangings...

How about shots to the neck? Try Beijing. They're into that sort of thing. Hanging? Check out Iraq. It's the rage there. Or head on over to Somalia for some public stoning or beheadings. No matter what cruelty you fancy, it's all available. Sure that's the direction you want the US to go? If so, I say take Texas, split and do what pleases the blood thirsty crowd there.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hang em high publically and let them hang. Let the community watch if they want. might just keep some from doing the same thing. We've turned into a bunch of wussies! These scum don't need to be treated humanly and I sure as hell don't want to pay for their subsistance through my hard earned money.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I oppose the death penalty in my state but couldn't give a rats aѕѕ if Texas felt the need to use it to kill Texans. They're Texans, not like they're people.

:thumbs: This seems warranted under the circumstances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHeXm7t-aAY

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in favour of the death penalty.

People who murder children....rape & slaughter women....break & enter, rob & beat an elderly couple to death....these people should still be alive?????

If someone murdered a family member of mine & there was NO DOUBT they comitted the crime...I'd want them to pay for the crime they comitted with their own life.

Eye for an Eye.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some people's crimes are so heinous that they forfeit their right to continue to exist in society or prison.

After 9/11, I asked my then-boss (retired Israeli Army officer) the best way to handle terrorists. He asked, "Domestic or foreign?" "Foreign," I said. "Kill them!" he immediately said. "A dead terrorist can rarely cause you future problems." Substitute "murderer," "rapist," or other for "terrorist," and the principle remains the same.

Regarding the possibility of executing someone who's innocent: Not many years ago, the District or County Attorney in Dallas (Texas) began the DNA-testing of all imprisoned individuals in whose cases DNA results could confirm or dispel their guilt. This makes sense to me, because although DNA-testing is not entirely perfect, it's the best system that we currently have for relieving actual or possible doubt.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Some people's crimes are so heinous that they forfeit their right to continue to exist in society or prison.

After 9/11, I asked my then-boss (retired Israeli Army officer) the best way to handle terrorists. He asked, "Domestic or foreign?" "Foreign," I said. "Kill them!" he immediately said. "A dead terrorist can rarely cause you future problems." Substitute "murderer," "rapist," or other for "terrorist," and the principle remains the same.

Regarding the possibility of executing someone who's innocent: Not many years ago, the District or County Attorney in Dallas (Texas) began the DNA-testing of all imprisoned individuals in whose cases DNA results could confirm or dispel their guilt. This makes sense to me, because although DNA-testing is not entirely perfect, it's the best system that we currently have for relieving actual or possible doubt.

You forgot something, si man. :star:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg