Gilles

Bank accounts - joint or separate?

Bank accounts - joint or separate?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you and your K1 spouse have joint or separate bank/checking accounts?

• Joint account only
    • Each have their separate accounts
    • Each have separate account and there is a joint account as well
    • Husband has only account and is in charge of all money
    • Wife has only account and is in charge of all the money

20 posts in this topic

As the petitioner I had two sets of checking and savings accounts already. Before we got married I added him to one set of accounts. When he gets a job, he wants to open a individual checking and savings. So we will do the three pot system.... I think it is better that way. But we still have an agreement not to spend more than 50.00 USD without discussing with one another.

01.09.10 Married

02.01.10 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago! (day 1)

02.02.10 - Delivered to Chicago per USPS delivery confirmation/signature @ 11:30a

02.10.10 - Check cashed (day 9)

02.12.10 - Recieved NOA in the mail for AOS, EAD, AP (dated 2/8/10: Day 1)

02.16.10- Biometrics appointment for 3.4.10 (dated 2.11.10)

02.18.10 - Early biometrics! walk-in (day 10)

02.22.10 - RFE for Medical (dated 2.18.10)

02.23.10 - Infopass (not helpful)

02.26.10 - Sent reply to RFE for I 693 to Lee's Summit and sent letter to senator (day 18)

03.01.10 - Delivery confirmation for RFE by Lee's summit and senator

03.04.10 - Status update: Case has resumed; letter from senator stating case is with adjunctor(day 24 )

03.08.10 - AOS application transferred to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER... No updates on EAD or AP (day 28)

03.13.10 - touch on 485/ 3.15.10 - touch on 485/ 3.16.10 - touch on 485/ 3.17.10 - touch on 485!!! (day 37)

03.29.10 - Day 49 from notice date of NOA.... day 58 from filing

04.06.10 - AP approved and EAD card production ordered!!! (Day 56)

04.08.10 - touch on AP...... 04.09.10- touch on EAD (second card production notice) and AOS

04.10.10 - AP arrived in the mail

04.13.10 - EAD approval notice online and card in the mail

07.10.10 - A TOUCH!!! (on AOS)

08.06.10 - Another touch

08.17.10- AOS approved!

I am wondering what others who have had their wife come over on a K1 visa do with respect to checking/bank accounts. Do you have one joint account? Do you each have separate accounts?

In my first marriage we had joint and separate accounts, both savings & checking.

In the second one I felt the joint checking account is overkill,

so we just have separate accounts and credit cards that are joint.

We don't have the need for joint checking when we each have individual checking.

I pay more bills by direct deposit now than I did years ago.

I did put her name in addition to mine on the utility bills.

I pay 100% of that in any case, as I should.

We also have 2 cell phones on the same family account.

I just go by what I think is necessary, not necessarily to impress in the interview.

I don't have much fear of the interview because we'll have all our ducks in a row.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

The only reason why we have seperate bank accounts is because I am very bad with money and therefor my husband is in charge of our money. He puts some of his weekly check in my account so I can spend that.

Love is patient and kind;

it is not jealous or conceited or proud;

love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable;

love does not keep a record of wrongs;

love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth.

Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail.

Love is eternal.

inloveforeveryouandmet.jpg

TimeLine:

02-29-08: Met Online

04-26-08: Told eachother how we felt

10-24-08: Went to America

12-01-09: Engaged

01-17-09: Bought the ring

01-21-09: Back to Holland =[

03-10-09: Petition send

03-16-09: NOA1

08-11-09: NOA2!!!! Finally!!!!

08-20-09: Package 3

09-10-09: Package 3 send to Consulate

09-17-09: Package 4

10-01-09: Medical + Xray

10-13-09: Interview!!!!!! Approved!!!!!!

10-15-09: Visa Arrived!!!!

11-20-09: US Entry

01-30-10: Marriage

02-13-10: Honeymoon to South Carolina

we each have our own bank account where our respective employers directly deposit our payroll. then, we have a joint bank account which we designated for savings and emergency funds. we have agreed to put in a certain amount of money in our joint account every pay period. we did this so we won't be tempted to touch the money from the joint account unless it is completely necessary. we then pay for our bills and groceries using our seperate bank accounts since we have also agreed on who will pay for what.

"... for our Love conquered both Time and Distance."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am a 100% firm believer in a marriage having joint accounts only. I absolutely do not want money hidden, or the inability to know what is going on is various accounts. We've discussed it and we will have an account here and in Scotland for when we go back on trips, or in case he has to go over for an emergency.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am a 100% firm believer in a marriage having joint accounts only. I absolutely do not want money hidden, or the inability to know what is going on is various accounts. We've discussed it and we will have an account here and in Scotland for when we go back on trips, or in case he has to go over for an emergency.

Who said anything about hidden? It's very important to have one's own things, and a bank account one of the most important things to have.

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my own "certificate" With our bank and my savings is all in the certificate which grows over time, at the end of 12 months my money becomes available and i roll it back into another certificate. Other than that we have a join account and joint credit card. We do it that way so we dont argue over money or have any money problems. So far its working really well for us, we may never have seperate accounts.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

we have a joint account and that account takes care of all household expenses, utilities etc. but i insisted on his/hers accounts as well. we both like to shop and i never wanted either of us to feel concern or guilt when we want to buy something. so the unwritten rule is "his buys what his wants with his money and hers doesn't ask about it" conversely the same is true for me. :whistle:

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

We have 2 joint checking account and 1 joint savings account and individual credit cards. My husband did try to add me to his credit card but at that time (I was in state only for a month) bank wanted to show them proof that I have been living in the same city for 12 months and we didn't have those. So I opened up my own secured credit card later on to build my credit history.

In our household I manage the money, from paying utility bills to paying off credit card, so it is better for us to have joint accounts.

Since we had separate financial lives all set up before marriage, we haven't gone crazy adding each other to everything yet (seriously, isn't immigration enough hassle??).

He's kept his UK accounts for various reasons, partly because we anticipate spending GBPs in the future, and there didn't seem to be a point to convert it to dollars just so we could pile our money all in one place. Also, it's not like he's got MILLIONS that he's not sharing with me.

I also had a handful of accounts - long term savings, daily use checking/savings, credit card (just have one).

We got him on the every-day use checking/savings account, and added as an authorized user on the credit card pretty immediately, just so that he would have access to funds in dollars instead of needing to dip into his GBP accounts and pay conversions etc. every time. I haven't gotten around to adding him to the other accounts - mostly out of laziness. Currently money just goes in, so there hasn't been a need for him to have access.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• 2 weeks later...

Who said anything about hidden? It's very important to have one's own things, and a bank account one of the most important things to have.

You are too funny! :rofl:

I think it's important to have a joint account, and then individual if you so desire. If you just have joint, that's ok too if you both agree. Agreement in how the finances are managed is key! If one has to hide, then that is a red flag that maybe the other feels presured, or maybe someone is not listening to the desires of the other spouse.

This definately isn't a one size fit's all decision!

Edited by RMHurd

I feel Good...........like the moon is shining just for me!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Eligible in November 2012

Filed: Timeline

Separate bank accounts for us - worked for my parents and works for me (though I can understand why a family in which one of the spouses was a stay at home mom/dad would just have a joint account). We're both responsible people who save more than we spend, and who trust each other. There's no need to have a joint account just to ensure that.

As others have said, most of the spending is done via a joint credit card anyhow - we just figure out the shared and separate expenses at the end of the month.

It makes sense to have a couple of bank accounts - especially with the amount of debit card etc fraud that goes on these days - having a frozen account can be a real pain in the butt.

Plus, having separate bank accounts makes it far easier to arrange surprise presents and parties!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.