Family Man

Citizenship application for someone got conditions removed based on extreme cruelty

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

This is regarding a case of my sister.

She got married to a US citizen and he turned out a jerk.

To remove the conditions, she had to apply for a waiver based on extreme cruelty and she got it approved.

Her lawyer told her that she is eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 yrs of the marriage.

I saw the citizenship application but it says that she needs to be living with her husband to apply after 3 years.

Can someone please help me how I should file her application so that she can get approved?

Thanks,

Filed: Other Timeline

Your sister will need to wait at least 5 years from the time she became a LPR (check the Green Card) until she can become a US citizen. It's a very simple concept.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

To remove the conditions, she had to apply for a waiver based on extreme cruelty and she got it approved.

Her lawyer told her that she is eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 yrs of the marriage.

I saw the citizenship application but it says that she needs to be living with her husband to apply after 3 years.

Can someone please help me how I should file her application so that she can get approved?

First thing, she needs to fire the lawyer.

Then wait until she's eligible to check one of the boxes in part 2 of the N-400. My guess is that the five years with green card will be her first opportunity. She can mail the paperwork up to 90 days before completing the 5 years.

There's no waiver to allow filing after three years if the marital union dissolved, regardless of the reason for dissolution.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

First thing, she needs to fire the lawyer.

Then wait until she's eligible to check one of the boxes in part 2 of the N-400. My guess is that the five years with green card will be her first opportunity. She can mail the paperwork up to 90 days before completing the 5 years.

There's no waiver to allow filing after three years if the marital union dissolved, regardless of the reason for dissolution.

This is the one thing I don't like about VJ. We're all so sure we know about everything. And we're all so sure that all the lawyers are wrong.

Guess what, the lawyer is correct. Here's the relevant law:

Sec. 319. [8 U.S.C. 1430]

(a) Any person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, 1/ or any person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a) if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse 1/ (except in the case of a person who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a United States citizen spouse or parent), who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

LPRs who obtain their green card "by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty" are eligible to apply after three years, exempted from the requirement that they have been living with their spouse.

It took me about five minutes to find the relevant policy USCIS memo with a web search.

We all need to be a little more careful about areas of immigration with which we have little experience, like VAWA cases.

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is the one thing I don't like about VJ. We're all so sure we know about everything. And we're all so sure that all the lawyers are wrong.

(a) Any person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, 1/ or any person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a) if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse 1/ (except in the case of a person who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a United States citizen spouse or parent), who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

LPRs who obtain their green card "by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty" are eligible to apply after three years, exempted from the requirement that they have been living with their spouse.

It took me about five minutes to find the relevant policy USCIS memo with a web search.

We all need to be a little more careful about areas of immigration with which we have little experience, like VAWA cases.

Boo-ya...shes correct because i myself as a male was going to file the same thing and was advised from my lawyer that i was eligable based on the same situations

Are you getting rusty Lucyrich??? your usually always correct, and i admire your answers always given

Thanks for posting this and providing the reference to it. It is great to know that there is such a law.

As for your comment, each person does realized that the comments and suggestions here are personal and they can be wrong. The general law about divorce is 5 years, but this is what is great about this site is that someone like you who was more resourceful was able to find this and correct everyone. If I didn't see your reply, I would've said the same as the others, but I am glad you have posted this.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

This is regarding a case of my sister.

Thanks,

If she is divorced, she is eligible to apply for Citizenship in 5 years minus 90 days from the date her first Green Card was issued.

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Could only wonder what would happen if I kicked the bucket between the time my wife had her interview and the oath ceremony. First question on her oath letter was, am I still alive and kicking and is she still married to me. Or something like that. But did hear if anything happens to your sponsoring USC spouse, you are out of luck and have to wait an extra two years.

Looking over my grandfathers immigration papers, he became a USC within two months after we arrived here, had to take weekly classes, for whatever reason, that was increased to five years, but then in 1927 was cut to three years for an immigrant married to a USC. Was decided that an immigrant married to a USC makes a better citizen. Is that true if she marries a draft dodger or some hippy?

But the USCIS sure takes this marriage stuff seriously with all kinds of additional proof, even goes way overboard on this issue. Time goes by fast if you are doing other things besides immigration, wife could now apply for the five year just basically bringing her green card and passport. Not the wheelbarrow full of evidence that we were married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Excellently said. I repped you because I think your post should be highlighted for the great information it contains.

thanks

AOS

08/08/2006 - I-485 transfered from TSC to CSC

02/14/2007 - I-485 approved without interview

I-751 (Abuse Waiver):

07/09/2007 - I-751 sent to TSC

07/11/2007 - I-751 received at TSC

07/24/2007 - Check cashed by CSC

08/04/2007 - NOA1 from CSC dated 07/24/2007

08/20/2007 - NOA2 received from CSC dated 08/15/2007 for 09/12/2007

09/12/2007 - Biometrics completed

09/13/2007 - Touched

09/14/2007 - Touched

09/20/2007 - Touched I-751 card production ordered (without interview again)

09/21/2007 - Touched

09/25/2007 - Touched I-751 approval letter sent at 11:59 pm midmight

09/26/2007 - Touched

09/28/2007 - 10 years card in mail. 2/14/2007 to 9/20/2017

N-400

04/01/2010 - N-400 sent to TSC by USPS

04/03/2010 - Arrival at Post Office, 1:39 am, DALLAS, TX 75222

04/04/2010 - Delivered, 9:23 pm, DALLAS, TX 75266

04/20/2010 - Check cashed by TSC

04/23/2010 - NOA1 received dated 04/20/2010

05/03/2010 - NOA2 received dated 04/29/2010 for 5/17/2010

05/17/2010 - Biometrics completed

05/22/2010 - Touched, text & email received at 4:32am, Case sent to local office

05/22/2010 - NOA3 received dated 05/20/2010 for 06/24/2010

05/25/2010 - Touched

06/24/2010 - Interview Approved

07/01/2010 - Oath letter received dated 06/30/2010

07/16/2010 - Oath Day

08/14/2010 - Passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.