s_mack

Probably dumb question... am I already a citizen?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello. I'm sure this is a silly question... am I already a citizen?

My story: Born in OK (I think that right there makes me American?), moved with father (US born) and mother (Canadian born) to Saudia Arabia. Eventually, my mother divorced him and then her, myself and my brother came to Canada when I was a child and I've been in Canada ever since. I know for certain that I am a Canadian citizen... what I'm not sure of is if that means I am no longer an American citizen?

My (Canadian) wife and I are considering a life in America and I think that process is a whole lot easier if I'm already a citizen, right?

A problem may be documentation. I lost my birth certificate in a fire as a teen in 1995. My mother tried to get a replacement... after a long time, we got a letter back saying there was a delay relating to the bombing incident in OK that year. We never followed up... but we never heard back from anyone on that. I have a Canadian passport that I've kept up to date since before then (needed my birth cert for that application) so it shows my "place of birth" as being in the USA. I never had a SSN.

So yeah... am I a US citizen? Does that bypass anything in terms of my wife and I coming to the USA? Or are we still going to have to go through normal immigration channels?

Thanks for any answers, pointers or advice.

Steve

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you were born in the U.S. you are a U.S. citizen.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Being born in the US to a US citizen father makes you a US citizen. That doesn't change no matter how long you're out of the country. Contact OK vital records and request a copy of your birth certificate. Use that to get a US passport.

Is DCF allowed in Canada? If so, start looking for a home and work in the US and file your I-130 directly with the embassy.

Good luck!

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Of course you are a US citizen.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

contact the office in OK again - inquire, again.

Once you have the birth certificate, you should be able to apply for a USA passport at a Consulate/Embassy in Canada (in person). Once you have USA passport in hand, you then have PROOF (worthy proof, even) that you are a USA citizen, can USE that proof in filing a I-130 for yer wife in Canada (via DCF, hopefully)

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Being born in the US to a US citizen father makes you a US citizen. That doesn't change no matter how long you're out of the country. Contact OK vital records and request a copy of your birth certificate. Use that to get a US passport.

Is DCF allowed in Canada? If so, start looking for a home and work in the US and file your I-130 directly with the embassy.

Good luck!

Being born IN the US makes you a US citizen... don't need US parents to do so. If you are born to US citizen parents (or parent) OUTSIDE the US then you are still a US citizen but a CRBA needs to have been submitted before your 18th bday... but that doesn't relate to the OP as born in the US (and as an extra bonus to a US parent) means you're a US citizen.

The DCF part as mentioned above will be the best option for the OP as he already lives in Canada. Here's the link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf if you've been married more than 2 years then your wife will receive her 10 year non-conditional greencard.

Good luck obtaining your US birth certificate :D Perhaps the Canadian embassy has a copy when you submitted your Canadian passport application.. I would of course try OK first, but just an idea for "what if's".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Being born IN the US makes you a US citizen... don't need US parents to do so. If you are born to US citizen parents (or parent) OUTSIDE the US then you are still a US citizen but a CRBA needs to have been submitted before your 18th bday... but that doesn't relate to the OP as born in the US (and as an extra bonus to a US parent) means you're a US citizen.

The DCF part as mentioned above will be the best option for the OP as he already lives in Canada. Here's the link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf if you've been married more than 2 years then your wife will receive her 10 year non-conditional greencard.

Good luck obtaining your US birth certificate :D Perhaps the Canadian embassy has a copy when you submitted your Canadian passport application.. I would of course try OK first, but just an idea for "what if's".

So, if someone is 'visiting' the US and give birth there, the kid is considered a USC? I thought the kid would have to live there for a certain amount of years to really be a citizen?!!

The OP's case we are sure because he has a USC father right?

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Timeline

So, if someone is 'visiting' the US and give birth there, the kid is considered a USC? I thought the kid would have to live there for a certain amount of years to really be a citizen?!!

The OP's case we are sure because he has a USC father right?

Yep just from being born there! Which is why you can be refused entry if you're "too pregnant" from what I understand... though honestly I've never seen it, or seen it reported.

Here's a wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_citizenship_in_the_United_States_of_America specifically here: "Under United States law, any person born within the United States (including the overseas territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands [1] and subject to its jurisdiction is automatically granted U.S. citizenship, [2] as are many (though not all) children born to American citizens overseas."

In the OP's case we're sure because he was born in the US and has a US birth certificate (even though his current copy was destroyed in a fire). We're also additionally sure because his father is a USC but there are some restrictions on CRBA being before turning 18.. but he can't do CRBA because it's meant for kids born ABROAD.. and he was born in the US. He just needs a copy of the certificate. If he tried to do CRBA for example they would ask for his birth certificate, which is a US birth certificate so they'd just return it telling you to apply for a US passport the normal way.

Another example is the recent article of an asian couple who are about to be deported because they're illegal (or something like that) but they had kids in the US who are perfectly entitled to stay as they are USCs.. born in the US.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes. Yes. Yes. Being born in the US makes you a US citizen in and of itself.

Vanessa&Tony, you missed the point. The point was that the OP satisfies both jus soli (right of the soil AKA being born in the US) and jus sanguinis (right of the blood AKA being born of US citizen parents) requirements for citizenship. In other words, there's no doubt as to his citizenship.

Yes, ma'am, Natalia. It's generally accepted (though never proven in court) that jus soli extends to visitors' and illegal aliens' children as well.

Now if only Thailand were as simple...

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you guys to clarify!

If it was this easy for us wives/husbands!

We do not only have to go tru all immigration process, but wait for 3ys to became a citizen.

Doesn't make any sense comparing to "born in the us" law. :bonk:

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Timeline
Vanessa&Tony, you missed the point. The point was that the OP satisfies both jus soli (right of the soil AKA being born in the US) and jus sanguinis (right of the blood AKA being born of US citizen parents) requirements for citizenship. In other words, there's no doubt as to his citizenship.

No. Didn't miss the point. You said "in the US to a US citizen" which implies that US citizen parent whilst IN the US was a requirement when it's not. I wanted people to be aware that being born IN the US is sufficient (as Mrs. Wife pointed out she didn't know this seems to have been a good thing to do) but otherwise yes, in the OP's case he satisfies two different categories and is most definitely a US citizen.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes, You are U.S Citizen.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Hello. I'm sure this is a silly question... am I already a citizen?

My story: Born in OK (I think that right there makes me American?), moved with father (US born) and mother (Canadian born) to Saudia Arabia. Eventually, my mother divorced him and then her, myself and my brother came to Canada when I was a child and I've been in Canada ever since. I know for certain that I am a Canadian citizen... what I'm not sure of is if that means I am no longer an American citizen?

My (Canadian) wife and I are considering a life in America and I think that process is a whole lot easier if I'm already a citizen, right?

A problem may be documentation. I lost my birth certificate in a fire as a teen in 1995. My mother tried to get a replacement... after a long time, we got a letter back saying there was a delay relating to the bombing incident in OK that year. We never followed up... but we never heard back from anyone on that. I have a Canadian passport that I've kept up to date since before then (needed my birth cert for that application) so it shows my "place of birth" as being in the USA. I never had a SSN.

So yeah... am I a US citizen? Does that bypass anything in terms of my wife and I coming to the USA? Or are we still going to have to go through normal immigration channels?

Thanks for any answers, pointers or advice.

Steve

Steve-Lol..no questions are dumb....

So in answer to your question, yes, you are a US Citizen, by birth...And a Canadian Citizen, by being the son of Canadian...Congrats on being dual! (lol...I'm dual too)

Btw..How did you get a Canadian passport with no birth certificate? Did you use a Canadian citizenship card for that instead?

All you need to do for your US Citizenship is ro get a copy of you US Birth certificate...And that is sufficient already! :thumbs:

You can also get a US passport and SSN afterwards too.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your journey too.

Ant

P.S. If you have any further questions about applying for your wife from Canada, feel free to post in the "Canada" forum here too:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.