JeniLovesMarwan

have visa now what??

16 posts in this topic

Hi Im not sure if I am posting this in the right forum or not but I will give it a try. My husband received his visa and in the mean time he is looking for a plane ticket here. We are both very confused and nervous as to what are the next steps for when he is here in the US. He is my husband so I am assuming he has an immgrant visa and will he still need to apply for adjustment of status and will he also be able to work here in the US? Also when we first began this process of getting his visa and filling out the paperwork for his sponsor (my father is his sponsor and we filed the I-864A I believe it was stating that my husband and I would be living in my father's home but however that has changed and my husband and I will have our own home when he comes here so will that make a difference? because when we did the paperwork we put my fathers address as the place we would be living but now I have my own home. Also I know my husband cannot be on any public assistance while here that is the reason for the sponsor but what if I am on some public assistance is that ok for me to be on the public assistance still or will I lose that because of my husband being here? Can someone please let me know what is the next steps we need to when he gets here please thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

just curious - if you’re on public assistance why would you get out and get your own home knowing your husband is arriving soon and knowing he probably will not work immediately? I would imagine that most people would have their ducks in order before considering bringing a spouse.

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Im not sure if I am posting this in the right forum or not but I will give it a try. My husband received his visa and in the mean time he is looking for a plane ticket here. We are both very confused and nervous as to what are the next steps for when he is here in the US. He is my husband so I am assuming he has an immgrant visa and will he still need to apply for adjustment of status and will he also be able to work here in the US? Also when we first began this process of getting his visa and filling out the paperwork for his sponsor (my father is his sponsor and we filed the I-864A I believe it was stating that my husband and I would be living in my father's home but however that has changed and my husband and I will have our own home when he comes here so will that make a difference? because when we did the paperwork we put my fathers address as the place we would be living but now I have my own home. Also I know my husband cannot be on any public assistance while here that is the reason for the sponsor but what if I am on some public assistance is that ok for me to be on the public assistance still or will I lose that because of my husband being here? Can someone please let me know what is the next steps we need to when he gets here please thank you

I'm not too sure about you losing any public assistance that you are on. I believe you can put a change of address at the POE. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. I know that you guys went the DCF route, did he get a CR1/IR1 visa? If so, then he is good for 2 years if it is a CR1, and also he will beable to work.

I hope you will find the answers you are searching for! Good luck Jeni and Congrats again!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

just curious - if you’re on public assistance why would you get out and get your own home knowing your husband is arriving soon and knowing he probably will not work immediately? I would imagine that most people would have their ducks in order before considering bringing a spouse.

Its a complicated situation right now as most of my family are against my husband even coming here but my husband and I just had a baby and that is the reason in trying to get my husband here as soon as possible so he can be with his son.

I'm not too sure about you losing any public assistance that you are on. I believe you can put a change of address at the POE. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. I know that you guys went the DCF route, did he get a CR1/IR1 visa? If so, then he is good for 2 years if it is a CR1, and also he will beable to work.

I hope you will find the answers you are searching for! Good luck Jeni and Congrats again!

Thank you. So my husband would do a change of address at the point of entry at the US airport? Or is there a form that we fill out once he is here in my home. I thought there was some kind of change of address form we needed to fill out, but Im not sure. Yes he did get a CR1 visa so that is good that he is ok for 2 years before we need to do anything else. Thank you so much

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You'll need to do an address change at the POE for your husband and you will also need to do an address change for your I864. I know you're father was the co-sponsor but I believe you'll still need to do one as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Its a complicated situation right now as most of my family are against my husband even coming here but my husband and I just had a baby and that is the reason in trying to get my husband here as soon as possible so he can be with his son.

I have quite a few family members and friends who aren't the most supportive about my marriage and husband coming from another country either. I hope that everything works out for you and your husband and your new son!

As for the change of address, try calling the USCIS or checking on their website and see what they say about doing a change of address. You want to make sure that the green card goes to the correct address!!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Congratulations on your visa and on your new baby. :dance:

I hope things get better with your family soon.

From what I understand, he can change the address at POE.It won't be long before y'all will be removing conditions. :star:

I don't know about the public assistance, but I can't imagine that it would be a problem for your son. Your husband will be able to work with his greencard, so that should be some help to you.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

On the USCIS website there are forms you can fill out for the petitioner and beneficiary to notify the government about a change of address, my husband and I just did these because we just moved. One of them is an online form the other is one you print and fill out and mail in.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congrats on your hubby's approval Jeni. I have been thinking about you. Also, congrats on your new baby boy. (F)

Your hubby can change the address at his POE.

I hope everything works out just fine for you!

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Congrats on your hubby's approval Jeni. I have been thinking about you. Also, congrats on your new baby boy. (F)

Your hubby can change the address at his POE.

I hope everything works out just fine for you!

thank you so much I never thought this day would come that my husband finally would get his visa.He will be here Wednesday, March 24 we are very excited.Also congrats to you Aya are you here with your hubby yet? Do you know if there is anything we need to do once he is here as far as any papers we need to fill out or anything? Thanks and take care and welcome to America

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

thank you so much I never thought this day would come that my husband finally would get his visa.He will be here Wednesday, March 24 we are very excited.Also congrats to you Aya are you here with your hubby yet? Do you know if there is anything we need to do once he is here as far as any papers we need to fill out or anything? Thanks and take care and welcome to America

Congratulations on your husbands arrival.

Depending on your husband's age he will need to register for selective service - men 18 through 26 are required to register.

Change of address at POE even though they ask for the address where you will be staying during pre-boarding checks of the flight so he may want to give the new address there as well.

Congratulations on the baby and good luck with the rest of your journey!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi,

First of all, congrats on your visa and your hubby getting here soon!

Second, to answer your question about public assistance, no, you will not lose benefits. However, you won't be able to include him in the application or renewal for those benefits either. So, once he starts working, you'll let your case worker know and they will include his income with your own, but they will not count him as a family member. For instance, in our family there is me, my hubby and our two daughters...they would include both adult's income, but only consider us a 3 member family. So...basically after he starts working, you may not get benefits anymore. Just something to think about and maybe plan ahead for. Hope that helps with your question.

Congrats on the new son too!

~Angie

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

Depending on your husband's age he will need to register for selective service - men 18 through 26 are required to register.

Change of address at POE even though they ask for the address where you will be staying during pre-boarding checks of the flight so he may want to give the new address there as well.

Congratulations on the baby and good luck with the rest of your journey!

Hello can you tell me what is selective service and where will he register for that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.