kaylamarie

Case Specific Information Requests

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi guys...sorry if you get mad at me for posting in the wrong area..i'm sooo new to this but im about ready to pull my hair out and cry. my boyfriend and i have been dating for..2 years feb.24th but we've known each other longer. I'm moving there to the United States in Oregon (I'm a Canadian citizen he's American) I'm also 19, hes turning 21. please no comments about age . anyways how long estimate should this take? Just an estimation i would really love, from reading everyone's stories here my guess was about 5 months for everything to be done? does that seem right. anyways he's visited here twice once for two weeks, and again for 3 weeks. and being apart is just too hard (we've been apart for about 7 months) I was calm about all this before, but then reading things is really stressing me out. Anyways so my questions are.

1. what happens during the medical exam

2. estimate time of how long it takes

those questions are pretty different from each other but..those are just the little things i have to ask before i start hyperventilating lol.

Thanks.

-Kayla blush.gif

3dflags-can1-1.gifNothing Is Impossible 3dflags-usa1-1.gif

Feb.24.2008 -Started Dating

Nov.16.2008 -Met for the first time

Feb.15.2009 -Met Again

Oct.01.2009 -Filing for I 129F very soon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hi guys...sorry if you get mad at me for posting in the wrong area..i'm sooo new to this but im about ready to pull my hair out and cry. my boyfriend and i have been dating for..2 years feb.24th but we've known each other longer. I'm moving there to the United States in Oregon (I'm a Canadian citizen he's American) I'm also 19, hes turning 21. please no comments about age . anyways how long estimate should this take? Just an estimation i would really love, from reading everyone's stories here my guess was about 5 months for everything to be done? does that seem right. anyways he's visited here twice once for two weeks, and again for 3 weeks. and being apart is just too hard (we've been apart for about 7 months) I was calm about all this before, but then reading things is really stressing me out. Anyways so my questions are.

1. what happens during the medical exam

2. estimate time of how long it takes

those questions are pretty different from each other but..those are just the little things i have to ask before i start hyperventilating lol.

Thanks.

-Kayla blush.gif

Hey Kayla,

Just like you, I have been following these posts since quite sometime now. As per my best knowledge, the medical exams include the following :

1)

Physical examination: Applicants are required to have a physical examination (to include complete disrobing), and a mental status evaluation

Tuberculin (TB) skin test: All applicants two years of age and older are required to have a Tuberculin skin test (TST)

Serologic (blood) test: All applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis. Applicants under age 15 can be tested for HIV or syphilis if there is reason to suspect the possibility of infection. Civil Surgeons and Panel Physicians are required to provide pre-test counseling to all applicants who take the HIV test. If you are found to have HIV infection, the Civil Surgeon must provide you with post-test counseling

Vaccinations: Most applicants need to show that they are current with all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. public health officials.

2) The wait for the K-1 process can be anywhere from 3-8 months. However, thanks to Gary and alla's interview post, we know that VSC has adjudicators working especially on I-129F's just to get "caught up". And with the recent approvals, July and August, you never know !

I hope my post helps....take care

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

ok I have an unusual question and don't know where to ask it, so I'm going to put it here ... My fiance doesn't have a middle name, and I never know what to put in that spot ... I always wonder if they'll think his name is N/A or None :unsure:

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Naples, Italy

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-01

NVC Received : 2009-09-04

NVC Left : 2009-10-02

Consulate Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-07

Interview ... WAIVED? Never heard of this, but they didn't even interview him, just told him pick up his visa the next day.

Current Status: Interview ... waived ... I guess :) They just took his fingerprints and documents and told him everything was in order and he should pick up his visa tomorrow! WOW

I can't believe it's only been 7 months since we filed ... seems like an eternity!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
ok I have an unusual question and don't know where to ask it, so I'm going to put it here ... My fiance doesn't have a middle name, and I never know what to put in that spot ... I always wonder if they'll think his name is N/A or None :unsure:

"No Middle Name"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

May I ask some question for I-129F validity extension? My validity will expire on Dec 5. Can I ask directly (or my sponsor/fiancée need to ask) to consulate to extend coz I not yet finish required documents to apply visa applications. And what the reason will be accepted by consulate?

Thanks a lot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Gary...that was alot you did for others...thank you so much....My name is Lo and my fiance is in Jamaica and we want the easiest and most economical way to get a Visa for him to come to the U.S.......my question is...do you know if we should do the fiance visa or just wait until we are married and do a spouse visa......I really want to get married in Jamaica and the wedding is set for next august so I figured if we got tied up with the fiance visa, then it may not be approved by the wedding date for us to go back to Jamaica for the wedding so he should just stay there til the wedding? I don't know...all this really confuses me :blink: so if you could shed a lil light...we would greatly appreciate it...Oh and I suppose we don't really need a lawyer to handle it from the interview you had with the visa guy? Thanks!

Hello All

I had a great opportunity Saturday evening to have dinner with and spend several hours with a director at the VSC. He is currently in charge of the department that handles I-751s among other things. His wife is an adjusicator that handles YOUR petition (if it went through VSC). His wife is Russian, arrived on a K-1 and is now a citizen. This man has worked for USCIS for many years and was at several local offices before being assigned to the VSC. His wife is a friend of Alla's and we were all at a dinner party for several American/Russian/Ukrainian couples Saturday. We had a long chat, he was very open and helpful. We talked about a lot of the things we see here on VJ and I was trying to remember all the "usual questions" I read about and pin him down for some answers. I also have asked him if he will give an "official interview" for VJ. He said he will check out the site and I will call him later this week. So, anyway I will try to cover what we discussed, he was quite frank and direct in his answers, not rude, not at all, but he knows his stuff and answers without hesitation. It turned into an impromtu and fun "interview" with me trying to remember all the hot button issues I see on VJ

I told him that the number ONE and number TWO "complaints" I see are Why is the VSC taking so long and why can't we get through to you guys?

Why is VSC taking so long, what happened? I was approved in 58 days!: We had problem with labor last year and lost many workers, we hired more last November and it took some time to get them trained. Some of the petitions were sent to California and we also assign people to different tyopes of visas. They will concentrate on one tyoe, get behind on another and then shift many people back to the other type. Lately we have shifted many, almost all, adjudicators to I-129fs, so that should make people happy. They will do that until they get caught up. Summer is a busy time for I-129fs, usually about June we get slammed with them. The winter or early spring is the slowest time for I-129fs, but then it depends what they have everyone working on also.

OK, why can't we get through to you? The 1-800 line is useless. Those are contract employees and they are trained to select answers from a menu of 14 answers. They pick which one is best for your question. There are thousands of visas being processed at any time and everyone is special and everyone has special circumstances and if we had direct lines we weould do nothing but field requests by petitioners to give them priority, we just can't do it. How would you feel if your petition got bumped because some woman called and cried on the phone and then her petition got moved up ahead of yours. We simply have to operate in a way that avoids any chance of fraud, corruption or unfairness.

So what about some people get approved ahead of others? Sme petitions have problems or delays, we do not hold back others for this. If an adjudicator has problems, he puts that one aside or sends an RFE and goes on to the next. The next one may be clean and gets approved right away, in just a few minutes, they adjudicate 15-20 petitions a day per person, and the ones with problems may wait weeks for the petitioner to respond to the RFE, or maybe it is a name check they are waiting for. Petitions are assigned as they arrive, when we are working on those petitions, but they do not go out the door in the same order they came in.

G-325a, Signed or Unsigned? Unsigned.

WHAT? Ok I have seen the memo but lots of VJ members got RFEs for unsigned G-325s, what gives? They do not have to be signed,they can be signed at the consualte interview. Some adjusicators haven't read all the memos, we get hundreds of the things, and maybe they make a mistake. If you want to be sure there is no mistake, sign it. Or send a letter expalining why it is not signed and request it be signed at the interview. Do you have that memo?

It is on the VJ website somewhere You can print a copy of that and send it with the I-129f and G-325a.

Fiancee intent letter? Signed or unsigned? Signed.

What about a faxed or emailed signature? When I was adjudicating, if I could see a signature, I accepted it, but many adjusicators will not. Signed is better.

Lawyer or no lawyer? For what?

Enough said. Now a hot issue, a very controversial one. There seems to be a trend in some countries of foreign men marrying American women and the women are considerably older. There is always a question if this is a problem. It never seems to be a problem for older men/younger women (My wife is 13 years younger, his wife is also considerable younger than him) Is it a problem? For us, USCIS, no. "Free to marry".

What about the consulates or for AOS or I-751? Consulates do what they do, it is not USCIS, some of them are bastards. Kiev is easy, they approve everyone (laughs), they used to be bastards but they got easier since they first started doing those in 2005, before then you would have had to go to Warsaw, you know. For AOS if they can prove they are legitimate we do not care about age but anything that is "not normal" for the culture will draw suspicion. They probably will not get a no questions asked interview (I had told him our AOS was "no questions asked")

What about birth certificates, some people have trouble getting them? This is a problem for us also. Some people, especially our younger staff, think all the world is like the USA. I remember one, when I was in the Kansas City office, the beneficiary was from Viet Nam, she was born in 1954 there was no birth certificate. The CO asked me about this and I looked at the file. I said "Do you know what was going on in Viet Nam in 1954?" She looked at me, straight faced and said "What, their computers were down?" :wacko: If a birth certificate cannot be obtained they can usually get something from a church, a village official, something, and send that with a letter of explanation. Or just their passport and a letter explaining the situation (this applies to AOS more than I-129f as beneficiary birth certificate is not required for the petition, but I wanted to ask anyway, it seems a common question here)

What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa.

What about the consulates? Consulates do what they do, as I said, some are bastards. They get whatever we get when it is sent on. I can't tell you what NVC and consulates do, I know some are terrible and some are really easy, but I do not know all the details of each. Kiev is easy, western Europe is easy, Nigeria is horrible, but you would not believe the scams from Nigeria, I get jaded. I am surprised a lot of them get visas and then we have to deal with them.

I have to ask for a collegue, Ecuador? Bastards.

:thumbs:

What about changes? Are there any in the works? Is Obama ouching you guys to work faster? I am not sure Obama knows we exist. There have been no changes and no pressure other than the usual workload and shifting things around. I do not expect any immigration changes in the next year or two, at kleat not in rules or amnesty or anything like that. I do expect FEE INCREASES within the next year...across the board.

How much more? I cannot say, that is not my area, I just hear talk.

He added, "We try not to deny petitions, people really get angry and make lots of trouble. Denials usually come at the consulate or maybe AOS or sometimes even with the I-751. If we deny someone we need good reason, if they meet the criteria, we will approve it, they just have to give us what we need to approve them."

So how can I speed up my petition? :lol: You can't really. If it gets to be too long and if you can get a congressman or senator to call, that will get some action, but half the time those guys dont'' call or they do and the petition has only been there 3 months. Sometimes one falls through the cracks, gets overlooked, we are human. A congressman can get through and get them to dig it out if it has been too long, but I wouldn't call that "speeding it up". That's a fix for whn it is too slow.

we talked for some time more, about 5 hours altogether, briefly interrupted by Alla every now and again who had her own questions about the I-751 procedure which I posted in that forum, about VJ and other topics (his Navy days) He said he will check the site and gave me his home number. He said "call anytime but not 3 in the morning" I asked about an interview or answering prepared questions, he said possibly, he will check the site. He said many internet sites are advertisement for immigration attorneys or instructing people on how to pull scams, I assured him he would be very pleased with VJ and he thinks it is great that there is a good site for information and advice. (he never heard of VJ before this)

I can also say, that speaking to him, I heard so many of the same buzzwords or advice that I have seen right here, this is really a great site with some great folks giving some really great info.

Timeline
May I ask some question for I-129F validity extension? My validity will expire on Dec 5. Can I ask directly (or my sponsor/fiancée need to ask) to consulate to extend coz I not yet finish required documents to apply visa applications. And what the reason will be accepted by consulate?

Thanks a lot.

The petitioner should request an extension from the consulate

Gary And Alla

Timeline

A K-1 requires you to marry in the US. If you petition one now it will be 6-8 months before he can arrive and another 3-4 months before he has an AP and that is if you file for the AOS quickly. So if you file an I-129f today, he will be ready to go back to Jamaica in about one year. So see how that works in your consideration. It can take 8-10 months to process a CR-1 which you cannot file for until after you are married in jamaica. So if you get married in August 2010 you are looking at Jume 2011 for him to arrive. The good news is he would have a green card on arrival and be able to work right away, if that is a consideratio. With a K-1 it will be 3-6 months after he arrives before he can work and again, that is if you waste no time getting married and filing for the AOS.

Hi Gary...that was alot you did for others...thank you so much....My name is Lo and my fiance is in Jamaica and we want the easiest and most economical way to get a Visa for him to come to the U.S.......my question is...do you know if we should do the fiance visa or just wait until we are married and do a spouse visa......I really want to get married in Jamaica and the wedding is set for next august so I figured if we got tied up with the fiance visa, then it may not be approved by the wedding date for us to go back to Jamaica for the wedding so he should just stay there til the wedding? I don't know...all this really confuses me :blink: so if you could shed a lil light...we would greatly appreciate it...Oh and I suppose we don't really need a lawyer to handle it from the interview you had with the visa guy? Thanks!

Hello All

I had a great opportunity Saturday evening to have dinner with and spend several hours with a director at the VSC. He is currently in charge of the department that handles I-751s among other things. His wife is an adjusicator that handles YOUR petition (if it went through VSC). His wife is Russian, arrived on a K-1 and is now a citizen. This man has worked for USCIS for many years and was at several local offices before being assigned to the VSC. His wife is a friend of Alla's and we were all at a dinner party for several American/Russian/Ukrainian couples Saturday. We had a long chat, he was very open and helpful. We talked about a lot of the things we see here on VJ and I was trying to remember all the "usual questions" I read about and pin him down for some answers. I also have asked him if he will give an "official interview" for VJ. He said he will check out the site and I will call him later this week. So, anyway I will try to cover what we discussed, he was quite frank and direct in his answers, not rude, not at all, but he knows his stuff and answers without hesitation. It turned into an impromtu and fun "interview" with me trying to remember all the hot button issues I see on VJ

I told him that the number ONE and number TWO "complaints" I see are Why is the VSC taking so long and why can't we get through to you guys?

Why is VSC taking so long, what happened? I was approved in 58 days!: We had problem with labor last year and lost many workers, we hired more last November and it took some time to get them trained. Some of the petitions were sent to California and we also assign people to different tyopes of visas. They will concentrate on one tyoe, get behind on another and then shift many people back to the other type. Lately we have shifted many, almost all, adjudicators to I-129fs, so that should make people happy. They will do that until they get caught up. Summer is a busy time for I-129fs, usually about June we get slammed with them. The winter or early spring is the slowest time for I-129fs, but then it depends what they have everyone working on also.

OK, why can't we get through to you? The 1-800 line is useless. Those are contract employees and they are trained to select answers from a menu of 14 answers. They pick which one is best for your question. There are thousands of visas being processed at any time and everyone is special and everyone has special circumstances and if we had direct lines we weould do nothing but field requests by petitioners to give them priority, we just can't do it. How would you feel if your petition got bumped because some woman called and cried on the phone and then her petition got moved up ahead of yours. We simply have to operate in a way that avoids any chance of fraud, corruption or unfairness.

So what about some people get approved ahead of others? Sme petitions have problems or delays, we do not hold back others for this. If an adjudicator has problems, he puts that one aside or sends an RFE and goes on to the next. The next one may be clean and gets approved right away, in just a few minutes, they adjudicate 15-20 petitions a day per person, and the ones with problems may wait weeks for the petitioner to respond to the RFE, or maybe it is a name check they are waiting for. Petitions are assigned as they arrive, when we are working on those petitions, but they do not go out the door in the same order they came in.

G-325a, Signed or Unsigned? Unsigned.

WHAT? Ok I have seen the memo but lots of VJ members got RFEs for unsigned G-325s, what gives? They do not have to be signed,they can be signed at the consualte interview. Some adjusicators haven't read all the memos, we get hundreds of the things, and maybe they make a mistake. If you want to be sure there is no mistake, sign it. Or send a letter expalining why it is not signed and request it be signed at the interview. Do you have that memo?

It is on the VJ website somewhere You can print a copy of that and send it with the I-129f and G-325a.

Fiancee intent letter? Signed or unsigned? Signed.

What about a faxed or emailed signature? When I was adjudicating, if I could see a signature, I accepted it, but many adjusicators will not. Signed is better.

Lawyer or no lawyer? For what?

Enough said. Now a hot issue, a very controversial one. There seems to be a trend in some countries of foreign men marrying American women and the women are considerably older. There is always a question if this is a problem. It never seems to be a problem for older men/younger women (My wife is 13 years younger, his wife is also considerable younger than him) Is it a problem? For us, USCIS, no. "Free to marry".

What about the consulates or for AOS or I-751? Consulates do what they do, it is not USCIS, some of them are bastards. Kiev is easy, they approve everyone (laughs), they used to be bastards but they got easier since they first started doing those in 2005, before then you would have had to go to Warsaw, you know. For AOS if they can prove they are legitimate we do not care about age but anything that is "not normal" for the culture will draw suspicion. They probably will not get a no questions asked interview (I had told him our AOS was "no questions asked")

What about birth certificates, some people have trouble getting them? This is a problem for us also. Some people, especially our younger staff, think all the world is like the USA. I remember one, when I was in the Kansas City office, the beneficiary was from Viet Nam, she was born in 1954 there was no birth certificate. The CO asked me about this and I looked at the file. I said "Do you know what was going on in Viet Nam in 1954?" She looked at me, straight faced and said "What, their computers were down?" :wacko: If a birth certificate cannot be obtained they can usually get something from a church, a village official, something, and send that with a letter of explanation. Or just their passport and a letter explaining the situation (this applies to AOS more than I-129f as beneficiary birth certificate is not required for the petition, but I wanted to ask anyway, it seems a common question here)

What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa.

What about the consulates? Consulates do what they do, as I said, some are bastards. They get whatever we get when it is sent on. I can't tell you what NVC and consulates do, I know some are terrible and some are really easy, but I do not know all the details of each. Kiev is easy, western Europe is easy, Nigeria is horrible, but you would not believe the scams from Nigeria, I get jaded. I am surprised a lot of them get visas and then we have to deal with them.

I have to ask for a collegue, Ecuador? Bastards.

:thumbs:

What about changes? Are there any in the works? Is Obama ouching you guys to work faster? I am not sure Obama knows we exist. There have been no changes and no pressure other than the usual workload and shifting things around. I do not expect any immigration changes in the next year or two, at kleat not in rules or amnesty or anything like that. I do expect FEE INCREASES within the next year...across the board.

How much more? I cannot say, that is not my area, I just hear talk.

He added, "We try not to deny petitions, people really get angry and make lots of trouble. Denials usually come at the consulate or maybe AOS or sometimes even with the I-751. If we deny someone we need good reason, if they meet the criteria, we will approve it, they just have to give us what we need to approve them."

So how can I speed up my petition? :lol: You can't really. If it gets to be too long and if you can get a congressman or senator to call, that will get some action, but half the time those guys dont'' call or they do and the petition has only been there 3 months. Sometimes one falls through the cracks, gets overlooked, we are human. A congressman can get through and get them to dig it out if it has been too long, but I wouldn't call that "speeding it up". That's a fix for whn it is too slow.

we talked for some time more, about 5 hours altogether, briefly interrupted by Alla every now and again who had her own questions about the I-751 procedure which I posted in that forum, about VJ and other topics (his Navy days) He said he will check the site and gave me his home number. He said "call anytime but not 3 in the morning" I asked about an interview or answering prepared questions, he said possibly, he will check the site. He said many internet sites are advertisement for immigration attorneys or instructing people on how to pull scams, I assured him he would be very pleased with VJ and he thinks it is great that there is a good site for information and advice. (he never heard of VJ before this)

I can also say, that speaking to him, I heard so many of the same buzzwords or advice that I have seen right here, this is really a great site with some great folks giving some really great info.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Thanks a lot.

Will the consulate approve for extension for another 4 months? My fiancée should fax the extension letter to the consulate, right? If so, which reasons should be included?

Thanks Gary

Timeline

Thanks a lot.

Will the consulate approve for extension for another 4 months? My fiancée should fax the extension letter to the consulate, right? If so, which reasons should be included?

Thanks Gary

Yes he can fax or email the consulate but I would follow it up with a certified letter. It is the consulates discretion to approve the extension or not. Generally they will. Just explain the circumstances in your case, there are no "reasons" which are acceptable or not, just say what the complication is and why you need to ask for the extension. I would also make clear that it is your intention to apply for the visa and that you still intend to marry within 90 days of entry to the USA.

Gary And Alla

Have MOST, just SOME or just a FEW of you got your email notification before getting the hard copy?

I ran this up the flagpole on the Aug VSC thread and so far 3 have saluted

that they did in fact get email notification before getting their NOA2.

That's not what would be called a reasonable sampling yet but I hope

that's an indication that your friend and his colleagues have made

some real improvements to the reporting mechanism.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline
Have MOST, just SOME or just a FEW of you got your email notification before getting the hard copy?

I ran this up the flagpole on the Aug VSC thread and so far 3 have saluted

that they did in fact get email notification before getting their NOA2.

That's not what would be called a reasonable sampling yet but I hope

that's an indication that your friend and his colleagues have made

some real improvements to the reporting mechanism.

:rofl: Nope. We're still listed as "pending" I assure you he is as frustrated with that system (and the 1-800 call center) as we are!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

may i ask question abuot vawa (batterd spouse)

my ase been in VSC 1 year and i see poeple approve in six mounth and other 20 month why som poeple have to wiat so long and other not

thanks

everything that happening at this moment is a RESULT of the CHOICE you ve made in the past...

Timeline
may i ask question abuot vawa (batterd spouse)

my ase been in VSC 1 year and i see poeple approve in six mounth and other 20 month why som poeple have to wiat so long and other not

thanks

VAWA is something I know nothing about, but it was included in my questions to my acquaitance why some take much longer than others. I gave him the questions one week ago and hope to hear from him soon. I talked to him briefly today but it was about another rather urgent matter and I didn't ask him about the answers to my questions I sent.

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

hey Gary and Alla i relly appreciate if you could get me som answer

my case been pending over a year and some one her on vj its been 20 month other got approved in six month . you thing they going to RFE after on year or denid my pitition after all this time

i have prima facie case

thanks

everything that happening at this moment is a RESULT of the CHOICE you ve made in the past...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.