Starlight95

2nd 221g for wedding preparations from petitioner

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys,

Ok so my fiance went on Wednesday a bit early since he had everything from me regarding my federal taxes. They interviewed him shortly and they hold him he is approved. He took the sworn statement and everything. Then the 3rd officer asked him when is the wedding. He said its going to be within 15 to 20 days as he gets there. Then they asked him about if I have had anything reserved for my wedding. For example, if I have a location. He said that we can't start any solid planning until he will get the visa then my fiance can start booking the location. I actually had a few places in mind, but we were not planning on having a big wedding. So, they told him to submit a receipt of the hall or anything that confirms our wedding planning along with his passport and handed him another 221g. I am confused they told him he is approved and wants us to book these things, but still don't have visa. Why do they want these things? What if I go ahead and reserve the location and they deny us. Do we still have some hope, or does a 2nd 221g mean a denial?

Star

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one, Star?

They just don't want to leave you guys alone.

I hope you can get your visa after this :(

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

in the past (on VJ) i've read that this consulates does this sometimes, they request some sort of reservation for the wedding...

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

God. What's going on with them? This is silly. You can't book a wedding or reserve a hall until you know the groom is going to be there with a visa in his hand. I say go ahead and book a venue for March.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Do you have an officiate already? Have them write a statement saying that you've made arrangements with them to officiate the wedding. If you've got an arrangement to not pay a deposit or booking fee until you have a date, have the officiate say so.

Likewise for the photographer.

ETA: Star, I'm sorry they keep jerking you guys around :(

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
:wow: india likes to stall as long as they can get away with. can you get tentative reservations?

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Find the venue which is flexible with dates. Explain them "visa pending" situation (that's what I did for myself). The worst case scenario you'll lose a deposit but it's the only solution in your case unless you want to contact your congressman.

When my fiance had interview, he showed our wedding invitation with venue and a specific date, they did not consider that. So you never know.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Good grief. That is nothing short of ridiculous. I'm afraid I would be on the phone with my congressperson with that foolishness. :angry:

I agree! You are instructed to not plan anything or buy tickets until you have the visa in hand. I would DEFINITELY be contacting your House or Senate immigration liaison. . .additionally, I would write them a letter telling them about what plans you do have. . .if you have a dress or have reserved invitations, or have someone who is going to perform the marriage, etc, you could include receipts or letters for that too. Maybe they are telling the truth and will go ahead and issue the visa if you submit it, but the congressional rep can help with reminding them you're serious.

your problem was that you stated you would get married within 15 to 20 days of getting here. In order for that to happen, you either do a court house-type wedding OR you have solid preparations and reservations in the works before you leave.

You might have saved yourself if you said something like, "I will do the booking once I have the visa and then only arrive 15 or 20 days before the wedding"--- your visa is normally valid for like 6 months so this would work.

It sucks that they did this to you, BUT at the same time think about the things that might sound like red flags before you say them. Planning a real wedding in 15 to 20 days, just sounds like a lie.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

OMG what is wrong with these guys? Which person in the right mind would ask for a receipt when the groom is still waiting for the visa. :angry::angry: Star, just book a place who is willing to be flexible with you guys. (F)

Sara, any new updates?

I-129: 4/1/09

NOA1: 4/2/09

NOA2: 8/31/09

LEFT NVC: 9/4/09

Packet 3 SENT: 9/23/09

Packet 4: 10/12/09

Interview: 11/17/09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
OMG what is wrong with these guys? Which person in the right mind would ask for a receipt when the groom is still waiting for the visa. :angry::angry: Star, just book a place who is willing to be flexible with you guys. (F)

Sara, any new updates?

Hi Third, nope still ap and perviz has not contacted me in over three weeks or answered his phone so im kind of feeling maybe this last thing with the process was more than he could bare........

sara

Timeline
your problem was that you stated you would get married within 15 to 20 days of getting here. In order for that to happen, you either do a court house-type wedding OR you have solid preparations and reservations in the works before you leave.

You might have saved yourself if you said something like, "I will do the booking once I have the visa and then only arrive 15 or 20 days before the wedding"--- your visa is normally valid for like 6 months so this would work.

It sucks that they did this to you, BUT at the same time think about the things that might sound like red flags before you say them. Planning a real wedding in 15 to 20 days, just sounds like a lie.

Thank you for your response. The thing was my fiance was going to come after 1 month after he got the visa. We estimated 2 months until he would come. Keeping in mind when they would deliver the visa to him. Maybe he should have been more specific. So, we were planned on having a simple wedding and I already had the places in mind. It was just a matter of going and giving the deposit and that was going to be once we got the confirmation.

But, now its more urgent and called the place I had in mind. Just hope they understand my situation and don't require a full 50% deposit. That would really suck :(.

Timeline
I agree! You are instructed to not plan anything or buy tickets until you have the visa in hand. I would DEFINITELY be contacting your House or Senate immigration liaison. . .additionally, I would write them a letter telling them about what plans you do have. . .if you have a dress or have reserved invitations, or have someone who is going to perform the marriage, etc, you could include receipts or letters for that too. Maybe they are telling the truth and will go ahead and issue the visa if you submit it, but the congressional rep can help with reminding them you're serious.

That is a great idea. Thanks for some assurance. I am going to get about 2 vendors to give me reciepts. Also, going to call my congresswoman and see if they can remind them of the seriousness. Last time I got a 221g they told me that they can not do anything when the consulate is involved, but if my case was at USCIS they could help. Thinking of getting a hold of my senator. But, the letter is a awsome idea. The other two officers that conducted his interview told him he was approved. So, that gave me some hope. I just don't know what happened with the last officer and why he gave my fiance such a hard time.

Star

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.