Roxyroo

Possible to Change Co-Sponsor?

13 posts in this topic

Hi VJ,

My fiance and I are going to do DCF in Colombia. I am the USC and am working up my courage to ask my parents to be the co-sponsor of the Affidavit of Support, since I obviously am a Colombian resident and have no US income. I don't know if they will say yes, as they are weird about money things.

So, my question is, when I get to the US and get a job, can I change the affidavit so that Iam then the sponsor??

Any help is appreciated, this way I can reassure my parents that it will only be a temporary thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi VJ,

My fiance and I are going to do DCF in Colombia. I am the USC and am working up my courage to ask my parents to be the co-sponsor of the Affidavit of Support, since I obviously am a Colombian resident and have no US income. I don't know if they will say yes, as they are weird about money things.

So, my question is, when I get to the US and get a job, can I change the affidavit so that Iam then the sponsor??

Any help is appreciated, this way I can reassure my parents that it will only be a temporary thing.

There are 2 times to pick sponsors.

1. The K1 application

2. The AOS process

You can pick a different joint-sponsor at the AOS time from what you picked at the K1, but after the AOS process is complete, no, nothing can be changed or withdrawn. Sorry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
There are 2 times to pick sponsors.

1. The K1 application

2. The AOS process

You can pick a different joint-sponsor at the AOS time from what you picked at the K1, but after the AOS process is complete, no, nothing can be changed or withdrawn. Sorry.

OP is not filing a K petition and thus will not be adjusting status. OP will be submitting an I-864 as part of their I-130 petition.

As indicated in the previous post the sponsor cannot be changed later on.

Roxyroo, please update your Immigration Status to DCF in your profile information.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
OP is not filing a K petition and thus will not be adjusting status. OP will be submitting an I-864 as part of their I-130 petition.

As indicated in the previous post the sponsor cannot be changed later on.

Roxyroo, please update your Immigration Status to DCF in your profile information.

Well they DID file a K petition... obviously stuff's changed

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

And I'm confused here. The OP says her FIANCE. You CANNOT file DCF for a Fiance! Did I miss something and they are getting married soon?

With DCF you file the I-864 just like Anh-map said. But the OP has listed that they are filing a K petition and that she is filing DCF for a FIANCE....these things don't go together.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

I assume they are currently engaged but will get married and then file via DCF, at least that was my comprehension of the statement.

Roxyroo, if this is the case, the answer is no. Once a sponsor is "on the hook" (so to speak) by filing a I-864 in support, they are on there until one of the following things happen: the immigrant completes 40 quarters of work in the US; the immigrant has been a permanent resident for 10 years; or the immigrant naturalises (if sooner than the first two listed). You will also need to file an I-864 so you will already be a sponsor -- you cannot step into the joint sponsor's shoes because you are already in them!

Hope that makes sense. :star:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I assume they are currently engaged but will get married and then file via DCF, at least that was my comprehension of the statement.

Roxyroo, if this is the case, the answer is no. Once a sponsor is "on the hook" (so to speak) by filing a I-864 in support, they are on there until one of the following things happen: the immigrant completes 40 quarters of work in the US; the immigrant has been a permanent resident for 10 years; or the immigrant naturalises (if sooner than the first two listed). You will also need to file an I-864 so you will already be a sponsor -- you cannot step into the joint sponsor's shoes because you are already in them!

Hope that makes sense. :star:

Ok. I'm sorry if I said anything that was confusing. Yes, we are at the moment engaged; we will be getting married and filing for DCF immediately after. So I consider him, and he is, my fiance right now.

We did file for a K-1 last year, went to the States, saw the financial ruin that is the economy (there were no jobs for me at the moment, that has changed), and returned here for another year. We will now be doing DCF.

So, it might have been already answered, but now with all that clarified, if I ask my parents to be joint sponsors they are stuck with that until he naturalizes (that is most likely our plan, and the fastest route to getting them off the hook). There is no way for me to become the sole sponsor, even after I am earning a healthy income in the US? If that is true, how frustrating.

Go to "My Controls" (near the top of the page, under all the smiling people), select "Edit Profile Information" (left hand side of the page, about halfway down), and you'll see all the various bits and bobs about your profile. Choose the dropdown box for "Immigration Status" and you'll see DCF as an option -- select it, then click on the "amend my profile" button at the very bottom.

Ta-da!

Ok, done and done.

So, back to the matter at hand. It is not possible in any way to drop a joint sponsor? That kind of makes no sense to me, as I will be perfectly capable of supporting my fiance once we are in the US.

There is no way of dropping a joint sponsor before one of three events I listed above occurs except if the joint sponsor dies. Sorry. A lot of this process may or may not make sense but it's just the way it is and our job is to navigate the system and tick all the boxes. Many of us doing DCF have to have joint sponsors because we have little to no US income, even though we may have been high earners abroad who are stepping into new high-earning jobs. Hey, it happened to me. My mother was my husband's joint sponsor even though I earned enough in the UK to sponsor more than 20 immigrants because my income was not continuing when I returned to the States.

Look, the likelihood that your husband-to-be is ever going to collect the sort of means-tested benefits is low especially if you are going to be earning a good salary imminently. And that is certainly a nice thing to consider. :) I know we all worry about this stuff, but it really is very unlikely. Just curse the USCIS (again), hold your nose and tick the box. And get your husband naturalised as soon as he is eligible. ;)

Edited to fix what was a major gender confusion on my behalf! :lol:

Edited by elmcitymaven

There is no way of dropping a joint sponsor before one of three events I listed above occurs except if the joint sponsor dies. Sorry. A lot of this process may or may not make sense but it's just the way it is and our job is to navigate the system and tick all the boxes. Many of us doing DCF have to have joint sponsors because we have little to no US income, even though we may have been high earners abroad who are stepping into new high-earning jobs. Hey, it happened to me. My mother was my husband's joint sponsor even though I earned enough in the UK to sponsor more than 20 immigrants because my income was not continuing when I returned to the States.

Look, the likelihood that your husband-to-be is ever going to collect the sort of means-tested benefits is low especially if you are going to be earning a good salary imminently. And that is certainly a nice thing to consider. :) I know we all worry about this stuff, but it really is very unlikely. Just curse the USCIS (again), hold your nose and tick the box. And get your husband naturalised as soon as he is eligible. ;)

Edited to fix what was a major gender confusion on my behalf! :lol:

Well, that is frustrating information, since yes, the above is exactly my situation, but oh well. I am taking the route with my parents that it is HIGHLY unlikely that he will ever become a public charge and hopefully they will be ok with that.....

Thank you very much, though, for a clear and quick response.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.