antda

Omitting Place of Birth on a US Passport....

220 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Lol...The previous "stateless" discussion made me think about this further.......

"Can one omit their "place of birth" and/or go "stateless" on a US passport?"

Lol....It sure would save me a lot of travel problems this way......As I don't want my birth country (other country) listed on such....

I know that the "place of birth" can be omitted on a Canadian passport.....(Canada is my former/current country of citizenship)

I have done that, and on my Canadian passport there is a "blank" on it...

No problem with the Canadian side of things...Not sure how they would handle this on the US side......

Can this be done on an American passport?

If that is the case then I'm seriously considering applying in-person for a US passport in the future.....

As well, my Certificate of Naturalization says "Canada" on it as my former country of citizenship...(lol..I INSISTED that they do such...)

So isn't listing any other country on a US passport cause problems too?....lol.....

Or alternatively, can they put "Canada" on my US passport, instead of my country of birth?

Is there any information (online or otherwise) supporting that this "omitting of birth country" can be done?

Would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc....Thanks...

Ant

P.S. Lol....I don't know why they put "place of birth" on a passport...as one is a citizen of a current country, then what is the relevance of a former country listed? Personally, I think this is some form of discrimination....even though they say it's for identification purposes...yeah right...lol....

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I knew you would be bach, just like that Terminator guy, I will be bach.

Can only say for my wife returning back to this country, a US passport is a lot nicer than that green thingy that ain't even green. But she was told at her oath ceremony, she is now a USC just like if she was born here! Seems to be some minor exceptions to this rule like prior country of residence plastered all over, and she certainly cannot run for president.

Here's a question I never thought about since remodeling my home and inadvertently nailing my feet to the floor as stuck here, what happens if you move? Do you have to contact the DOS and show your change of address? Nothing on the passport shows your current address, maybe that is a good thing.

See they considered both your date and place of birth important, can see the date of birth corresponding with your photo for age discrimination, but why the place of birth?

In just about any other legal matter, if you move have to have your address changed a zillion times, is the passport exempt from this?

What is their thinking? Or is thinking not a part of the process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess you can ask to have your country of birth omitted and see what they say. I highly doubt though that they can put Canada as your place of birth since you weren't born on Canadian soil. I would make an appointment with the passport office and see if they can accommodate your request. Best of luck.

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

You can answer your own questions by applying common sense. The President of the United States was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. What do you think what would have happened if they had an empty space or a question mark at this place of birth?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You can answer your own questions by applying common sense. The President of the United States was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. What do you think what would have happened if they had an empty space or a question mark at this place of birth?

Just Bob-

Lol..about the President...That was a "common-sense" situation.....Honolulu, Hawaii is in the USA....

An American that has an Americn place of birth...Travelling with an American passport.....Easy enough!

That makes sense....For any border official in any country to verify when travelling...... :thumbs:

Man, now I wish I was born in Haiwaii instead......I could be president and live a more common-sense life!...(lol...just kidding...)

Mine is not a common sense situation.....

I was not born in the USA

I was born in another Birth Country, I have Canadian Citizenship through Naturalization, and I have American Citizenship through Naturalization....

And then I used to travel with a Candian passport, American green/permanent resident card, and have my former birth country listed on documents....

To a border official....that is not common sense.....

"Why the heck are you associated with 3 different countries?"..... :wacko:

Lol..Really..I want to make travel for as easy as possible....

Two countries is enough for me! (USA and Canada). No need to be assoicated with a third one...lol....

And if I can do that my eliminating "unnecessary" birth country information...Then so be it!

Can I make my life into common sense.....?????? :lol:.....Wishful thinking...

And what's so common-sense about listing a former non-US birth country, on a US passport?

Doesn't that contradict the fact American passport holders are American, and not anything else?

Lol...Hmm....maybe they should replace "place of birth" with "place of naturalization" for those who have citizenship through naturalization..

"Yes, I was born through naturalization as a US Citzen in Buffalo, NY!"....lol....

So "Buffalo, NY" is my new birthplace....lol......(just kidding....but interesting idea.... :whistle: )

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I knew you would be bach, just like that Terminator guy, I will be bach.

Can only say for my wife returning back to this country, a US passport is a lot nicer than that green thingy that ain't even green. But she was told at her oath ceremony, she is now a USC just like if she was born here! Seems to be some minor exceptions to this rule like prior country of residence plastered all over, and she certainly cannot run for president.

Here's a question I never thought about since remodeling my home and inadvertently nailing my feet to the floor as stuck here, what happens if you move? Do you have to contact the DOS and show your change of address? Nothing on the passport shows your current address, maybe that is a good thing.

See they considered both your date and place of birth important, can see the date of birth corresponding with your photo for age discrimination, but why the place of birth?

In just about any other legal matter, if you move have to have your address changed a zillion times, is the passport exempt from this?

What is their thinking? Or is thinking not a part of the process?

NickD-Lol...."I'm a VJ addict!" :help: I can't help but be back...Since there are so many nice and friendly and helpful people here on vj...;)

It's hard for me to leave...So I guess I'm back...But on a part-time basis though........One post at a time...."It's a surprise!"....;)

Ok...back to your reply...

I agree, a US passport is better than a green card for travel purposes...

What I find funny though, is that during naturalization, the naturalization is like a US birth certificate....

But nowadays (lol...thanks a lot Bush!) one cannot travel with just a naturalization certificate.....no matter what...

And meanwhile, minors/children can travel with a US birth certificate....

Seems kind of contradictory in ways.....

And yes, US born citizens can run for president, while naturalized US citizens cannot....

More contradictions there.....

And if a permanent resident moves....They have to tell the USCIS..

If a US Citizen moves...No need to tell the USCIS....No worries there...And yet another reason to apply for citizenship....lol...

Apparently the government trusts its own citizens....but not residents....lol.....

And yes, it is good that citizens don't need to tell the DOS when they move either....It's not like they need to contact us anyways...lol...

True, I agree with listing the age thing for identification purposes.....So that it corresponds with the photo....(and yes, I agree with photos too)

But to list anything else (weight, height, place of birth, race, etc....) is getting a little to personal....

And those are the issues/concerns that can be used to judge others negatively....and are discriminatory in ways.....

Can't they just put..."American"...."Name"..."Date of Birth"....Photo.....Isn't that good enough???...... :whistle:

Lol..Don't know what their thinking is....They don't think.....They discriminate, instead.....:lol:....

Ant

I guess you can ask to have your country of birth omitted and see what they say. I highly doubt though that they can put Canada as your place of birth since you weren't born on Canadian soil. I would make an appointment with the passport office and see if they can accommodate your request. Best of luck.

Lissa04-Lol...I'll see what happens there if I do ask for such...I wonder what they will actually say.... :unsure:

Who knows, maybe they will be nice enough to accomodate such a request, like the USCIS did before...lol....

Lol..I was born in another birth country...But I do not have any citizenship/legal rights in this country anymore.....

Lol..I was "born" in Canada through "naturalization"...And have just the same rights as any natural-born Canadian!

And I was "born" in America through "naturalization"...And have just the same rights (except for running for president) as any natural-born American!

So in that sense...I was born in Canada and America...;)

Also, on another a personal sense, I've grown up in Canada for most of my entire life....

That is all I've known as "my former home and native land".....maybe they will take that into consideration too..lol..

As well..I figure that in my Canadian passport I could leave my "place of birth" as "blank"....So why can't I do that my American passport too..hmm....

I'd rather be "blank/birth-country less" or "Canadian" than have my birth country listed...lol....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I gotta ask 'cause i'm obviously missing something.. why does it matter? Who cares if you were born in some random country? I honestly don't get it so you've probably encountered something that I haven't... so I'm not trying to be rude but why does it matter?

I have a british passport (country of birth listed), I have an Australian passport (country of birth listed), and one day I might have an American. Do I care if it lists Australia as my "home" country? Not at all. Though I have to admit I do find it a bit odd... 'cause i don't see why it's necessary

Also, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...#Place_of_birth

"A request to list no place of birth in a passport is never accepted"

Sorry. Looks like it's gotta be listed.

I gotta ask 'cause i'm obviously missing something.. why does it matter? Who cares if you were born in some random country? I honestly don't get it so you've probably encountered something that I haven't... so I'm not trying to be rude but why does it matter?

I have a british passport (country of birth listed), I have an Australian passport (country of birth listed), and one day I might have an American. Do I care if it lists Australia as my "home" country? Not at all. Though I have to admit I do find it a bit odd... 'cause i don't see why it's necessary

Vanessa&Tony-Lol...Is does matter to me....;) (and no, you are not rude for asking about such)

I have encounted problems travelling and in other areas of my life because of this....

I don't like my birth country....I like (and frequently travel) to my former country of citizenship..Canada.....

It's one thing for one to be proud of their country of birth and country of former citizenship, and have both listed....Which is fine your case....

But it is another thing to dislike a birth country, have no personal ties to it, and have it cause problems along the way too.....

I agree, I don't think that listing a former birth country is necessary either...Sigh..

American passport holders are Americans, for pete's sake! Why complicate things further with a birth country?....lol....

Thanks for the link though....I really do appreciate it... :thumbs:

Sigh...It looks like I won't be applying for an American passport soon after all...(an EDL and Canadian passport will have to do for now....lol..)

Why can't they just say that "America" is my "home country/place of birth".......My home is in America and I'm an American citizen through "naturalization".....sigh...

Hmm...Maybe I can get them to list "Canada" instead, if they "insist" on having a country listed....lol...After all..that's what it says on my US Naturalization certificate....as my former country of citizenship.... :whistle: Guess I can't go "blank/stateless" after all......

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It actually matters. I will give you an example. I was born in Colombia but moved to the States when I was 14. I have to travel to Colombia because my wife is from there. Every time I travel they give me really hard time at customs just because I don't have my Colombian passport with me. When I'm telling you hard times I mean almost NOT allowed to travel back to my HOME COUNTRY, TO MY HOME because I don't have my Colombian passport with me.

If only my U.S passport had this "placed of birth" in blank things will be much easier for me every time I travel to this country where I was born.

USCIS Journey

I-130 Filed: 04-01-2009

NOA1: 04-09-2009

I-130 Approved on Nov 19, 2009

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Dec 4: wife's case was entered at NVC

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Feb 5: Interview date scheduled. Interview on March 23, 2010

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

I-212 Waiver @ USCIS Journey

May 10, 2010: Filed form I-212

Sept. 9, 2010: I-212 Approved

Embassy Journey 2.0

Sept. 22, 2010 New Interview date.

Sept 22, 2010 VISA APPROVED.

Waiting for visa to arrive at Cali-Colombia.

Timeline
Vanessa&Tony-Lol...Is does matter to me....;) (and no, you are not rude for asking about such)

I have encounted problems travelling and in other areas of my life because of this....

I don't like my birth country....I like (and frequently travel) to my former country of citizenship..Canada.....

It's one thing for one to be proud of their country of birth and country of former citizenship, and have both listed....Which is fine your case....

But it is another thing to dislike a birth country, have no personal ties to it, and have it cause problems along the way too.....

I agree, I don't think that listing a former birth country is necessary either...Sigh..

American passport holders are Americans, for pete's sake! Why complicate things further with a birth country?....lol....

Thanks for the link though....I really do appreciate it... :thumbs:

Sigh...It looks like I won't be applying for an American passport soon after all...(an EDL and Canadian passport will have to do for now....lol..)

Why can't they just say that "America" is my "home country/place of birth".......My home is in America and I'm an American citizen through "naturalization".....sigh...

Hmm...Maybe I can get them to list "Canada" instead, if they "insist" on having a country listed....lol...After all..that's what it says on my US Naturalization certificate....as my former country of citizenship.... :whistle: Guess I can't go "blank/stateless" after all......

Ant

I found something else for you

Here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94675.pdf , page 3, part 5 says:

"To assist foreign-born passport applicants who may object to the country name indicating the place of birth, passport procedures permit the placing of the name of the city or town of birth in the passport in lieu of the country of birth. However, in such cases, applicants are cautioned that the use of this option also may cause delay or other difficulties when traveling to, or obtaining visas for entry into, certain foreign countries."

Or same link, page 14, part a says:

"A U.S. citizen born abroad may choose to list the city or town of birth at the time of the applicant’s birth or at the present time rather than the country if he or she objects to the country listing as set forth in this appendix, unless this appendix specifies otherwise. The city of birth only option is not available for persons born in the United States or its territories or outlying possessions."

So, it looks like, while you can't have it BLANK you stand a very good change of them allowing you to list just the town, and perhaps even Canada. Give them a call. It also sounds like you having Canada on your naturalisation certificate is a good start that they acknowledge it. *fingers crossed* for you!

Timeline
It actually matters. I will give you an example. I was born in Colombia but moved to the States when I was 14. I have to travel to Colombia because my wife is from there. Every time I travel they give me really hard time at customs just because I don't have my Colombian passport with me. When I'm telling you hard times I mean almost NOT allowed to travel back to my HOME COUNTRY, TO MY HOME because I don't have my Colombian passport with me.

If only my U.S passport had this "placed of birth" in blank things will be much easier for me every time I travel to this country where I was born.

Really? That's so annoying but I also have to ask.. why DON'T you carry your columbian passport? I carry both my passports at all times (the aussie passport holder has space for two so I'll need a new one if i get a US passport as well). I see that Columbia permits dual citizenship so I don't understand in your case, but I can see where in places like China for instance where dual is not permitted where you could simply answer that you were born here, but you aren't a citizen so no passport and if they give you a hard time then then i would simply say my husband is from there so of course the choice was easy.

Edward toro- :thumbs: Exactly! This was what I was referring to....

Having problems because of what is listed as the "place of birth" on the passports and other documents...

Believe me, if my US passport had a "blank" on it...it would be so much easier.....

Sorry that you had problems travelling back home to the USA because of this issue...

Hope that you don't have too many problems later on travelling either...

Everyone- By the way, here is an article I just found online.....

PRACTICAL TRAVELER; The Case of the Telltale Passport

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/06/travel/p...ml?pagewanted=1

Yet another reason why "place of birth" should not be listed on a passport......

A matter of life and death in this case....lol..

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Really? That's so annoying but I also have to ask.. why DON'T you carry your columbian passport? I carry both my passports at all times (the aussie passport holder has space for two so I'll need a new one if i get a US passport as well). I see that Columbia permits dual citizenship so I don't understand in your case, but I can see where in places like China for instance where dual is not permitted where you could simply answer that you were born here, but you aren't a citizen so no passport and if they give you a hard time then then i would simply say my husband is from there so of course the choice was easy.

I don't carry my Colombian passport because I don't have one! (special juvenile immigrant SL6. Long story) I think one should have the option to NOT include the place of birth on the passport. I feel more American than Colombian. Maybe I am! I have been living here more time than what I lived in Colombia.

I like Colombia very nice place don't get me wrong but the U.S is where I belong and I don't feel Colombian I love it there but don't feel from there. It's complicated but that's the way it is.

Edited by edward toro

USCIS Journey

I-130 Filed: 04-01-2009

NOA1: 04-09-2009

I-130 Approved on Nov 19, 2009

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Dec 4: wife's case was entered at NVC

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Feb 5: Interview date scheduled. Interview on March 23, 2010

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

I-212 Waiver @ USCIS Journey

May 10, 2010: Filed form I-212

Sept. 9, 2010: I-212 Approved

Embassy Journey 2.0

Sept. 22, 2010 New Interview date.

Sept 22, 2010 VISA APPROVED.

Waiting for visa to arrive at Cali-Colombia.

I found something else for you

Here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94675.pdf , page 3, part 5 says:

"To assist foreign-born passport applicants who may object to the country name indicating the place of birth, passport procedures permit the placing of the name of the city or town of birth in the passport in lieu of the country of birth. However, in such cases, applicants are cautioned that the use of this option also may cause delay or other difficulties when traveling to, or obtaining visas for entry into, certain foreign countries."

Or same link, page 14, part a says:

"A U.S. citizen born abroad may choose to list the city or town of birth at the time of the applicant’s birth or at the present time rather than the country if he or she objects to the country listing as set forth in this appendix, unless this appendix specifies otherwise. The city of birth only option is not available for persons born in the United States or its territories or outlying possessions."

So, it looks like, while you can't have it BLANK you stand a very good change of them allowing you to list just the town, and perhaps even Canada. Give them a call. It also sounds like you having Canada on your naturalisation certificate is a good start that they acknowledge it. *fingers crossed* for you!

Vanessa&Tony- Thanks for the additional name and information too... :thumbs: (bookmarked that one, along with your previous link...thanks)

Lol..Though in my case..having a city and/or town is not an option for me either...as it is very similar and tell-tale there!...lol....

Once I mention the town/city...It's very obvious as to what country I was born in...lol......

But...maybe I can get them to change it to Canada instead......Here's hoping...

And yes, I do have my Canadian naturalization certificate and certificate card (with a photo of me at the age when I naturalized too)..and a current and valid Canadian passport......

So hopefully that will be proof enough...

It worked for the USCIS..So why not the DOS... :whistle:

Lol...The next challenge: Finding a local passport office to apply for a passport in, and then fully explaining myself all over again...

Road trip! (it will be a long drive to NYC or Philly!..lol..should be interesting...lol..)

Ant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.