Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The induction/distess/c-section cycle is now more prevalent in the US because of the obesity factor. Many obese women suffer from obesity related illnesses: diabetes, HBP, heart issues, etc, which are all the more exacerbated by pregnancy. Because of the risk of having a dying placenta, doctors would rather go the route of 38-39 week induction to see if a baby can be born naturally. Most times though, it doesn't happen that way and the baby is born via c-section.

Now, for some totally healthy chick who has no issues, I do not agree at all with a c-section or induction when her body or baby are showing no signs of distress.

And women over 35 as well :blush: Let's not forget that that wasn't as prevalent as it is today either.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

And women over 35 as well :blush: Let's not forget that that wasn't as prevalent as it is today either.

Amen, to that too - I was AMA as well. I don't feel it - still look like I'm about 25, but I was 35 when E was born. C'est la vie. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you ladies! I dont like to see Sam suck his thumb and I tried to replace it with paci over the weekend and he gaged and throw up right away :( I tried several brand and he hates all of it. I may have to settle with his thumb sucking habit and hope he doesnt do it for a long time.

Anya, I would try the paci. The paci can be taken away when you feel like making your baby kick the habit, fingers cant. Zaid never would take a paci and still sucks his fingers at 2.5 years old. Its comforting for him so I dont mind too much however, his little fingers are so blistered and chapped all the time and itch and bleed in the winter. Not to mention his finger nails on those 2 fingers are paper thin.

Poor little fingers!! Did you try to stop him? what method did you use? I just want ideas, what doesnt works on yours might works on mine. I'm sure Sam will have blister on his thumb - he's a good little sucker!

Anya: whether paci or thumb is up to you. Either one can turn into a bad habit. Ben is a paci baby (he still is) and both paci and thumb can be very unhygienic (the paci always gets dropped or drags in the dirt and the thumb, well who's kids' hands are always clean?). I also think its equally hard to wean. We tried to get Ben to give the Binkie to the "baby squirrels" during the day but after a while he refused. And since we stopped using the "Binky chain" he wakes up at night and looks all over the bed for it. The big con with the thumb is that some children do it very long and it may affect their teeth growth.

If I can give you some advice- let him suck on either a pacifier or the thumb but make sure that it will not be the only soothing thing he has- introduce a soft blanket or a stuffed animal soon, every time he goes to sleep or every time you hold him. Having that other "lovie" may get him less focused on the sucking habit.

That's a really good idea! Thank you. I now try to give him the blanket - he's still a little too young to put the blanket for him to hold in the crib though, still cant roll yet.

Adam took to the paci and still pretty much relies on it to sleep. I don't have any advice for switching from thumb to paci since Adam used the paci from a few weeks old. I had an argument with my mother about it because she was all like, "pacifiers are for lazy parents". Ok, mom, whatever. :rolleyes: I'd personally rather see him with a paci than sucking his fingers, but I don't have some sort of moral objection either way, lol.

lol, I heard that too. I think it helps in a lot of situation to just pop the paci in their mouth and give the parents a little quiet(er) time for a little longer. sometimes you cant give their attention right away!

Paci vs. Thumb. Adam was my paci kid..he LOVED it and he had it in his mouth so much that the dentist told us he was developing an overbite. It could definetely be seen even by me. We did several attempts to take it away from him, limited it to bedtime or cartime. That worked well and he got totally off of it a few weeks after his 2nd birthday. He'd still take a paci if he had one though.

Allie on the other hand took a paci until she was about eight weeks old. The paci refusal and MeiTai refusal went hand in hand at that age. After that she kept spitting the paci out and started searching for her thumb. It's been the thumb ever since. She only uses it when she's really really tired though. She never uses it when she's in stress situations or so, just to sleep.

Theya re so cute :) If it' were up to me, I wouldnt let my baby have paci after 1 year old, but it's not up to me lol.

As for the paci/thumb issue, Zak has always been our high needs baby. OMG...it took forever to get him to sleep when he was a newborn. We tried swings, sounds, pacis, and me sleeping with him in the recliner. It took until about 8 weeks before he would sleep well. He would use a paci sometimes, but it wasn't alot. When he found his thumb, his world changed. He is a big thumbsucker. But honestly, I prefer it over a paci. I got sick of trying to find them, sterilize them, etc. Zak in the past month has become inseperable from his "MiMi" -- his blankie. He just needs lots of comforting and I am not going to deny him either. Hana never liked pacis at all, but sucks two of her fingers when she is tired. She has seen Zak with his blankie so it has become a thing this past week that she needs hers as well.

That's something I thought of too - I wont have to wake up at night and find him his paci if he cries. Right now he woke up in the middle of the night, suck his thumb and went right back to sleep. It's conveniet that way but I'm afraid of the dental problem and that it's hard to stop him from sucking.

omG how funny, I had no idea what you all were talking about re: 'paci'...it was only now that it dawned on me.

God help my child ;)

LoL that's so cute Lisa :)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Adam loves the MAM brand pacis. He used a soothie when he was a newborn, but didn't like the stage 2 soothie and he wouldn't take NUKs either. I tried the MAM and he was a happy boy!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

To solve the "help my paci is gone" problem I just put several pacis in a place in his bed. He was older by then...probably over one year old. At times he had four or five pacis in one corner in his bed and he'd go there to grab one when he lost one :). None the less he did wake up every now and then and cried.

As for 'no paci after one year old'. See...there's a lot of things that you change your mind on in those few first months. I used to say, I won't breastfeed after the first tooth pops out. Adam had his first tooth at five months an I'm just too cheap to buy formula. I also said that babies are supposed to sleep in their bed and now guess what...all four of us can squeeze in a queen size bed LOL. Same goes for the paci. Pick your battles. If your baby sleeps and is happy without a paci after one year old then that is awesome. Most babies develop a sense of security with an object at around 18 months. That's when you can introduce a security blanket or a stuffed toy or so or you just let them choose. Adam got a blanked before he was born..one of those Koala Babies blankies from BRU. Very cute and very soft. He had it in his bed since he was 10 months old. He's like LInus from CHarlie brown, still dragging that thing (I have two now..one for Allie, one for Adam so they won't fight haha - I'm smart like that :lol: ) everywhere he goes and sleeps and I think that really helped him over the pacifier. I see him lay there at night in our bed just petting that blanket in his sleep. He does that over and over and over for hours at night and it soothes him.

Edited by Eveline

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

After reading the interesting debate about c/s vs VB, I'd just like to ask a question. It seems a lot of you were pushing for hours during delivery. In the UK, I heard mothers are allowed to push for no longer than an hour, and then they'd use forceps, epi, etc due to stress on the mother and baby. My brother said his girlfriend pushed for 45 mins so everything was OK... and I've seen a lot of UK mothers say they pushed for X mins. In the US, it seems to be a x hours... at what point do they say enough is enough?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Staashi: that's a good point with the obesity rate. When I first heard about the huge c-section vs VB rate I was shocked, it's much less in Germany, but then you can't really compare it like that because the U.S. are much more diverse and many african americans or native americans bring a lot more risk factors to the table- obesity, pre-existing conditions, pre-existing medications, mental disorders etc GD and nowadays AMA. So naturally the c/s rates must be higher.

Gemmie: Some hospitals have a 2-2.5 hour pushing rule here, but in most cases I think the OB calls the shots, depending on the status of mom and baby and whether she pushes effectively. The first baby usually takes a little longer in pushing time. I do agree though, I was under the impression that they used forceps/suction etc way more often/sooner in Germany than they do here. We had at least one forceps baby in the postpartum unit/day.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Oh my! Im glad I didnt have to follow a 45min rule. My OB let me push for 3!

Any idea why I might be having what I think are heart palpitations? It almost feels like a sinking feeling in my throat and chest that goes down the bottom of my breastbone, its more prominent when im sitting, when I stand its almost nonexistent.. I wonder if its related to the stomach problems I had last week, because thats exactly when it started. Either way im going NUTS. I see my OB tomorrow after my anatomy US so I will bring it up, I just have a feeling its gonna result in a TON of tests being done, which I dont mind because I want to make sure im healthy, but its so hard to work that stuff around my work schedule. We shall see, just another bump in the road of being pregnant with baby girl.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Any idea why I might be having what I think are heart palpitations? It almost feels like a sinking feeling in my throat and chest that goes down the bottom of my breastbone, its more prominent when im sitting, when I stand its almost nonexistent.. I wonder if its related to the stomach problems I had last week, because thats exactly when it started. Either way im going NUTS. I see my OB tomorrow after my anatomy US so I will bring it up, I just have a feeling its gonna result in a TON of tests being done, which I dont mind because I want to make sure im healthy, but its so hard to work that stuff around my work schedule. We shall see, just another bump in the road of being pregnant with baby girl.

Kelly, I'm going out on a great big limb here, but I think you're having anxiety attacks. Years ago, I would get them a little more frequently, now not so much. One time, they were so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack and drove to a hospital. :wacko: Have you ever had any issues with anxiety?

Good luck with this - I hope you feel better soon. (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

heart palpitations may be normal at any time/ during pregnancy. You say it drives you nuts, so I assume it happens a lot, so definitely mention it to your doc! Usually they come from the extra blood volume your body is producing, stress (I know you're having plenty of that), caffeine or sometimes imbalances in your electrolytes (magnesium, K+, Ca) - maybe your doc will draw some blood and look at your e-lytes. It could also be that an illness (your gall bladder possibly) causes this. Hope that helps. Feel better! :)

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

2 years on Xanax, weaned myself off in 2007, havent had any problems until this pregnancy. Had an anxiety attack about a month ago and doc wants me to take Zoloft, I didnt want to so Im trying other methods to relieve it. Who knows what it is, but a history of anxiety, YES! lol unfortunately

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Had my first OB U/S today! :) We have some dates too! I am 7 weeks and 3 days as of today (good strong heartbeat :dance:) and due date is for April 29, 2010 (or approx, as I have heard).

Edited by MARM

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Had my first OB U/S today! :) We have some dates too! I am 7 weeks and 3 days as of today (good strong heartbeat :dance:) and due date is for April 29, 2010 (or approx, as I have heard).

^ I meant April 29, 2011 :blush:

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Timeline

April 29th was the birthdate of my son :) its a great day to have a baby :)

In all seriousness! Congrats! It is a great time to be pregnant, your pregnant and its cold! AND.....You miss flu season so by the time the next flu season comes around, baby is old enough to vaccinate! Im paranoid about having this one in january/feburary and having a bunch of germy people around her! lol

Today is my 20 week ultrasound!! Im not quite 20 weeks but thats what Im calling it ! lol...Sofyan is so excited and I think Zaid is too, from what he can understand. he just keeps saying "Happy birthday Baba AND go see mommys doctor to see Laila" lol Hes so cute! Hopefully its still a little ####### down there, id hate to have to return the 50 outfits Ive bought already :)

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png