Immigrationstuff

Fiance with girl friends...

83 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ok..this is from a guys point of view. I would definately be suspicious about this. Its not that strange to have a girl best friend, but to have planned trips of a week with her?? That is a week the two of you could be vacationing together or enjoying each other. If this is truly just a friend, then he should consider your feelings about this, because i am sure he wouldnt want you to go off for a week with another guy, even if you are "just friends". I applaud you for being secure with your relationship, but i would definantely get this straightened out before you are married, trust is a must, but this seems a little extreme to me.

Does this girl friend live alone or does she have roommates or a boyfriend?

I don't know why precisely it's inappropriate -- I mean, I can't pin it down to one reason. It's a bit odd yes, a married man staying over at a girl friend's place for a week. But like you said, he can't really fly over for lunch or a movie. But if it's making you uncomfortable, then obviously it's an issue.

And my most important suggestion to you--become friends with this girl. Pronto. Email/chat/pick up the phone/whatever.

Keep your friends close. Your enemies, even closer. :)

I completely agree with Sachinky, and also with what Sundrop has posted.

It is not about not doing something because it would be "inappropriate" in general. However, if you feel bad because of it, that should be reason enough!

Personally, I would NOT be okay with my husband spending that amount of time on his own with a friend every 6 months, be it a male friend or a female friend (but frankly, especially not a female friend). He does not have a lot of leave so it is nice to be able to spend it together.

From reading all your posts, it seems that the problem here might especially be that particular girl. You somewhere mentioned (if I remember correctly) that you wouldn't really want to go along and spend that time with her because she wouldn't like it....

Well, why not! And what does she not like in particular?

So it seems that SHE has a problem with your relationship. I would focus on that.

It will be interesting to see what her reaction is to your fiance suggesting she come visit you or both of you going over to her.

It might also be good to do just that prior to getting married, just to see how it feels and if you really feel comfortable with it all.

Good luck.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

It's inappropriate because it is exclusive. It's a relationship from which you, his wife-to-be (and continuing later when you are his wife) are being excluded.

I see others coming in to say that platonic opposite sex relationships are possible, and I believe it - but all of them also talk about how they were always included in the activities, and where the new girlfriend/boyfriend was included by the platonic friend. And we aren't talking about a "girls trip to vegas" which implies a group of more than just two people, or an actual destination here. The two situations just don't relate.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

To each their own, but for us, my husband and I are best friends. This is what we want and expect from/in our marriage. Neither of us would ever want a vacation from or without the other and would never allow any1 to come between us, Period.

You have every right to like or dislike. It seems simple to me, you don't like it, so, he should stop it. period. If he resents it, then I would question his priorities and what he wants from your marriage.

Compromise makes a marriage work and grow but compatibility must be there too. I think you better have an open discussion about your compatibility regarding friendships outside the marriage. If you 2 don't match up, then you 2 better think twice, thrice and again before you marry.

Good luck

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
if you need some proof for later - suggest this:

1. he cannot go to them, they must come to your house, sleep there.

2. install video camera system in all rooms prior to him coming over.

3. when the girl(s) visit, leave for a few hours, turn on the recording system.

then review the recordings. go on like this for '5 visits' with the girls.

You should have all the proof you need, by then, yes?

send me a PM if you need info on inhouse video systems.

As Sjr09 says, if a person needs to do all that then they obviously don't trust the person one iota, not a great basis to start off a relationship.

08-15-09 -- I-129F Sent! Here we go!!

05-20-10 -- K1 Approved!!!!!

06-29-10 -- Mike flys into the USA

09-18-10 -- Wedding!!

10-16-10 -- EAD/AOS Mailed

10-23-10 -- Biometrics appt received, 17 Nov!

event.png

event.png

event.png

I'm sure I'm just reiterating what others have said here, but I believe it's a matter of integrity. Out of respect for the person that you love, you don't put yourself in a situation that could be deemed questionable. Regardless of the nature of their relationship, as your fiancee, his loyalties should be with you, full stop.

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NOA2: 2010-03-05

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Gonna throw something out here that no one has touched upon yet.

Your fiance is about to leave his entire life - home, family, job, belongings and friends - behind and will have to start over from scratch with you. Even though he'll be with you, he will still have moments of feeling lonely or isolated. It takes about 2 years as a minimum to really adapt to a new life in a new country.

Irrespective. I think that is a cheap excuse imho. This MAN also has input and has made a choice to move 1/2 way around the World to me with the woman he loves. These are sacrifices you make in life, and the RESPECT for one another does not come in the form of demanding time away ever 6 months with a woman.

I love my wife, she is my absolute soul mate and best friend and it has been this way since we met. Still, if she made THOSE demands when coming to live with me or vice-versa, then I'm sure we would have had 'red flags'

To each their own, but for us, my husband and I are best friends. This is what we want and expect from/in our marriage. Neither of us would ever want a vacation from or without the other and would never allow any1 to come between us, Period.

You have every right to like or dislike. It seems simple to me, you don't like it, so, he should stop it. period. If he resents it, then I would question his priorities and what he wants from your marriage.

Compromise makes a marriage work and grow but compatibility must be there too. I think you better have an open discussion about your compatibility regarding friendships outside the marriage. If you 2 don't match up, then you 2 better think twice, thrice and again before you marry.

Good luck

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1

USCIS

09-12-09 : I-130 Sent

09-21-09 : NOA1

01-26-10 : NOA2

127 days @ USCIS

NVC

02-01-10 : NVC receives case / Case number assigned / Gave e-mail addresses to operator

02-05-10 : Received DS-3032 & AOS bill / Sent DS-3032 (E-mail) / Paid AOS Bill

02-07-10 : Sent DS-3032 (Snail Mail)

02-09-10 : AOS fee showing PAID

02-11-10 : DS-3032 Delivered to NVC / E-mail confirmation DS-3032 (signed by JESUS)

02-12-10 : IV Bill generated

02-19-10 : IV Bill paid

02-26-10 : AoS package & DS-230 Sent

03-02-10 : AoS package & DS-230 received at 4:11am (Signed by RUDOLPH)

03-05-10 : AVR Updated - Received DS-230

03-16-10 : 3 RFE's received (Incorrect Police Certificate DS230 / I-864 / I-864A

05-20-10 : CASE COMPLETE & SIGN IN FAIL

05-22-10 : New RFE checklist received stating ONLY I-864A needs to be resent.

05-23-10 : Called NVC. AVR claimed our case was 'COMPLETE'

05-26-10 : Interview date set for 07-20-2010

115 days @ NVC

242 DAYS TOTAL SO FAR

US CONSULATE (SYDNEY)

07-12-10 : Medical @ 10am

07-20-10 : Interview @ 9am VISA APPROVED

07-26-10 : VISA IN HAND!!!!!

08-10-10 : P.O.E. Los Angeles

I have a big circle of friends back in the Philippines. We were in college when we started hanging out so basically we were all singles that time. Later after college, some have found their bf/gf's already and I knew things wont be the same anymore since they would rather spend holidays with their sweethearts than with the group. So as the "mother" of our group, I made an effort to always invite their partners to come to our group outings, that way everyone will be happy and doesn't feel the need to choose between friends and their partners. Now, my friends husbands/wives are all part of our gang. As a friend, even how close I am to my male friend still I couldn't let him stay in our house while I am alone. Not because I dont trust him but because I don't want my husband to feel uncomfortable...and I dont want him to start hating my friend...so to avoid that, you gotta put a certain boundary in your relationship between you & your friend. IF he/she is a real friend to you...he/she should understand that and would not ask you to do something that could ruin your relationship with your partner. I value friendship very much and I do not wish to come to the point where my husband would ask me to choose between him and my friends, for me that is just so unfair. So to avoid this situation, you gotta learn how to put boundaries between these two relationships and how to blend them together without making one's feel being left out. You guys really need to settle this issue now or this will be a big problem in the near future. I truly understand how you feel right now.

Btw, for some reason this thread reminds me of the movie "My bestfriend's Wedding". (one of my fav)

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Ex-bf tried to pull this on me too, and I found out later he was actually trying to get into the girls pants, so I was glad I went with my gut. Now this doesn't apply to everyone because there are some guys who can have friendships like this without having a hidden motive, but as others have said, what is important is how it makes you feel.

My husband had a friend (just a friend) who I didn't necessarily trust. I trusted him but I could see the way she was making advances on him. I explained that her actions bothered me and he talked to her and not only got her to stop, but cut down tons on talking to her. He almost never does now. The biggest part here was he respected my feelings enough to try to work through the issue without any demands or questioning on why I felt that way. He knows I have a history of guys who weren't good to me and its something that would have made him feel bad as well if the situation was reversed. If he truely cares he will be willing to work with you in any way possible to make the situations work. I couldn't dream of spending any of my limited vacation time without my man and I would be very sad if he chose to do so without me.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Irrespective. I think that is a cheap excuse imho.

I think you misunderstood my reasoning. I wasn't saying that I believe that this is an 'excuse' in any way, but rather something that might be making it difficult for him to 'let go' of the friendship. I don't believe it to be the case, but it's only fair to look at it as a possibility. It IS the reason why I would suggest that the friend travel to stay with them for a week or whatever instead of him going there. There's no impropriety about that and the friend will be able to see that their marriage is alive and well. My personal belief is that if he stops traveling there alone, then the friendship will wind down because the friend isn't looking for friendship; she wants more...

Just yesterday, I said to one of my closest friends, who lives on the East coast, that although we'll be as far away from her as we are now, the airfares will be cheaper so I'll get to see her more often. The other reason I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with her as we used to is because I've been using my vacation time to travel to see my fiance in AZ instead. We were lucky enough to be able to travel all of us from AZ to NH to visit them for a week, but I know that my fiance wouldn't have a problem with me going without him once in the US. Having said all that, we'll both be married women so it's not a transferable experience, except for the traveling without my new spouse.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm a fan of 'fidelity in marriage'.

You might want to ask this fiance-person HIS thoughts about 'fidelity in marriage' - just to clear the air.

NEVER ASSUME that you know his POV about it - ASK HIM.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Is it possible in your discussion with him to take the gender out of the equation? If I were to tell Rin I was planning a one or two week vacation alone with one of my guy friends, all hell would break loose!

The issue would be the large amount of time spent on something that put space between us. We all have precious few resources, and TIME is one of them. Rin covets our time together and would not like the idea of me 'spending' that limited resource in such a large chunk with anyone else. Of course, if that 'friend' was female, it would multiply the 'hell that broke loose' a hundred-fold!

I for one am finally glad that someone mentioned to take the gender out of things, for more reasons than one. About two weeks again I have the pleasure of taking to take to a young man from my finance's country. He was planning to marry a woman that he started a relationship with who he no longer loves because of the unforgivable things that she had done. (story way to long to tell). He was going to go through with a marriage just to get to another woman here in the states. But thank goodness the woman was a dead beat parent or it would have worked. This is not right by any means and I told him so. Gladly that was the one and only conversation I have with the young man. I do know this, time is precious so to use a big chuck of time with someone who is not the most important thing is you life is wasteful.

Several people have said that this process is long and hard enough without the extra BS that people can put you through. As said earlier if this young lady is not trying to be your friend or at least your acquaintance then there is something that she doesn't want you to know. I am not saying that its something that your fiance knows about, but there is something not being said.

Bottom line if something was bothering me my fiance would eliminate the doubt by bring things to the light. There should not be anything that is tucked away from you partner, no matter who or what the issue is. However, we can talk until we are blue inf the face. This is your life don't live uncomfortably unless you feel you can. Good luck, and may God lead you to the right decision. Take care a good friend is always a post, email, or IM away because we must be here for each other. Thank care! :star:

MistyBlkRose

event.png

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Okay everyone, coming out of the anonymous rank..."Immigrationstuff" was me.

I've talked with David an hour this morning on the phone, went to sleep (I work the night shift) and then talked with him over skype for 3 hours just now and we've resolved the situation :dance:

He kept thinking it was a trust issue but you guys provided what I knew sort of but didn't know how to put into words. It's not about spending time with her, it's about going away and leaving me when we've been through so much separation already and I'll be working full-time and him to follow after he gets done with school and adjustment of status. He understands that and has no problem with her coming over here, which we will do sometime in 2011 (we're getting married in September and he'll see her at the wedding). I have no problems with him having friends or seeing them, but I don't want it to take time away from us when, as someone pointed out, it is so very precious in the first place.

In the future, we've also discussed that this won't be an issue anyway because in a year's time he'll be working and has said himself he wouldn't think about using his only 2 weeks of vacation to be with a friend versus me or down the line we'll have kids and he wouldn't leave me and the kids alone to spend vacation with a friend, he very much gets that.

He also understands and sees that I'm not seeing my friends either, i.e. I moved out to the east coast about a year and a half ago and all my close friends are still in Seattle, yet I'm not spending money and my vacation time to see them, it's to see him.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your insight and advice. And not to knock some of the nay-sayers down (video cameras? HAHA!!) but we're both virgins and couldn't imagine doing it with someone else...

This worked because we have a highly effective communicative relationship and I would suggest anyone in a similar situation to sit down and talk it out with their significant other as well. Remember that this is a person you love and if they love you back you should both be able to sit down and calmly discuss this and keep in mind that you don't want to hurt each other.

Thank you VJ!!!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

glad to hear it all turned out! I'm still a fan of the video camera idea hahahaha j/k

USCIS

09-12-09 : I-130 Sent

09-21-09 : NOA1

01-26-10 : NOA2

127 days @ USCIS

NVC

02-01-10 : NVC receives case / Case number assigned / Gave e-mail addresses to operator

02-05-10 : Received DS-3032 & AOS bill / Sent DS-3032 (E-mail) / Paid AOS Bill

02-07-10 : Sent DS-3032 (Snail Mail)

02-09-10 : AOS fee showing PAID

02-11-10 : DS-3032 Delivered to NVC / E-mail confirmation DS-3032 (signed by JESUS)

02-12-10 : IV Bill generated

02-19-10 : IV Bill paid

02-26-10 : AoS package & DS-230 Sent

03-02-10 : AoS package & DS-230 received at 4:11am (Signed by RUDOLPH)

03-05-10 : AVR Updated - Received DS-230

03-16-10 : 3 RFE's received (Incorrect Police Certificate DS230 / I-864 / I-864A

05-20-10 : CASE COMPLETE & SIGN IN FAIL

05-22-10 : New RFE checklist received stating ONLY I-864A needs to be resent.

05-23-10 : Called NVC. AVR claimed our case was 'COMPLETE'

05-26-10 : Interview date set for 07-20-2010

115 days @ NVC

242 DAYS TOTAL SO FAR

US CONSULATE (SYDNEY)

07-12-10 : Medical @ 10am

07-20-10 : Interview @ 9am VISA APPROVED

07-26-10 : VISA IN HAND!!!!!

08-10-10 : P.O.E. Los Angeles

wait a sec...haha, I think David wouldn't mind having video cameras...in our bedroom. Eep! :blush:

oh, and I have to say that it was pretty cool to have a "hot topic" on the main page even if the subject wasn't so cool... :bonk:

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.