chrislyse

Baffled by order of things to do for AOS/Marriage/SSN etc

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My fiance has been here for about 2 weeks. We just filed for our Marriage license in Virginia and in order for her to take my last name (which is what want and i believe is the best process going forward right?) you NEED a social security number.

So...i guess she has to get the social security card in her maiden name?

Do we have to go back again later and get that changed to her married name?

Also, she has her I94 when we entered but in all the chaos of the "enhanced" security we did not ask for authorization for employment, i've read somewhere that the I94 itself might cover that (with a SSN)?

I've studied the guides and we filled out the forms but the order of what to do when has been confusing...as far as getting work authorization, getting an SSN, getting married, filing AOS packet, .etc has been what i'm not sure about.

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What office is requiring the SSN?

K1's can't work without the EAD any more. You didn't miss anything when entering the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Some states do need a SSN first, I believe.

That's how we did it. SSN, then marriage license, then the wedding, then AOS.. then when the AOS is approved, you can always go back to the SS Office and get the name changed and work conditions removed.

You apply for employment authorization with the AOS packet, read the Guides at the top of the page. It will explain how to go through the whole process.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiance has been here for about 2 weeks. We just filed for our Marriage license in Virginia and in order for her to take my last name (which is what want and i believe is the best process going forward right?) you NEED a social security number.

So...i guess she has to get the social security card in her maiden name?

Do we have to go back again later and get that changed to her married name?

Also, she has her I94 when we entered but in all the chaos of the "enhanced" security we did not ask for authorization for employment, i've read somewhere that the I94 itself might cover that (with a SSN)?

I've studied the guides and we filled out the forms but the order of what to do when has been confusing...as far as getting work authorization, getting an SSN, getting married, filing AOS packet, .etc has been what i'm not sure about.

Thanks.

K1 fiancee' Visa holders are allowed to get a SSN. We went to the local SSN office after 10-12 days after her arrival and got my fiancee' (now wife!) a SSN with no problems in her maiden name. We filed for a license at the county courthouse and then married after the 3 day waiting period. A few days later we went back to the SSN office and simply did a name change to her new married name. ALL SIMPLE, ALL FREE!

I am glad we got her a SSN early on. Makes things so much easier. To add her to my bank, filing taxes, getting her state ID etc. People who wait until after AOS have delays and issues doing those things.

You will need to start your AOS package if you want her to work soon. With this package file a I-765 Work authorization document. My wife just got hers, takes about 50-60 days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP has marriage license, so no requirement there.

OP was told that SSN is needed for spouse to take his name. That doesn't sound right, though I don't know VA regs. Didn't see anything on this website VA Dept of Health / Vital Records about SSN.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. go to SSA, get SSN. If any problems, come back next day, re-apply. When you have successfully applied, come back 2 days later, get the number. The card will be mailed to you, later.

2. get the marriage thingie (license? certificate? )

3. get married

4. go on honeymoon (this part is mondo importante ! )

5. file the AOS.

GOOD LUCK !

ps - the EAD is mostly useless now, without filing for AOS - review the I-9 instructions, you'll find that catch-22 that keeps him unemployable .

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1. go to SSA, get SSN. If any problems, come back next day, re-apply. When you have successfully applied, come back 2 days later, get the number. The card will be mailed to you, later.

2. get the marriage thingie (license? certificate? )

3. get married

4. go on honeymoon (this part is mondo importante ! )

5. file the AOS.

GOOD LUCK !

ps - the EAD is mostly useless now, without filing for AOS - review the I-9 instructions, you'll find that catch-22 that keeps him unemployable .

If you don't need the # immediately, you can just wait for the card. It took my then-fiance 1.5 weeks to receive his. When I updated the name on mine, it took the same amount of time for me to receive it.

As far as filing AOS, if you have everything in an envelope ready to mail, you can get a certified copy of your marriage certificate the day you get married, drop it in the package, & drop the package off at the post office. Then you might have the NOAs waiting for you after the honeymoon :)

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline
K1 fiancee' Visa holders are allowed to get a SSN. We went to the local SSN office after 10-12 days after her arrival and got my fiancee' (now wife!) a SSN with no problems in her maiden name. We filed for a license at the county courthouse and then married after the 3 day waiting period. A few days later we went back to the SSN office and simply did a name change to her new married name. ALL SIMPLE, ALL FREE!

I am glad we got her a SSN early on. Makes things so much easier. To add her to my bank, filing taxes, getting her state ID etc. People who wait until after AOS have delays and issues doing those things.

You will need to start your AOS package if you want her to work soon. With this package file a I-765 Work authorization document. My wife just got hers, takes about 50-60 days.

Thanks. I didn't see it online either but that's what they told me at the Court House...had to have SSN to change her name.

So just file the AOS package and the Work authorization (which i know is in there) will get processed and could be done prior to the rest of the approval?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Thanks. I didn't see it online either but that's what they told me at the Court House...had to have SSN to change her name.

So just file the AOS package and the Work authorization (which i know is in there) will get processed and could be done prior to the rest of the approval?

Thanks.

I'm from Virginia and in order to change my last name legally, I had to first get my driver's license changed with my new last name, and then had to show that as well as the marriage certificate as proof when going to the SS office. So for you, I would think you need to get the AOS package and Work authorization done (in order to show that to get a driver's license here.. VA is strict on what things can be used), then get a driver's license in VA if she doesn't already have one WITH her new last name, and then visit the SS office.

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Timeline
I'm from Virginia and in order to change my last name legally, I had to first get my driver's license changed with my new last name, and then had to show that as well as the marriage certificate as proof when going to the SS office. So for you, I would think you need to get the AOS package and Work authorization done (in order to show that to get a driver's license here.. VA is strict on what things can be used), then get a driver's license in VA if she doesn't already have one WITH her new last name, and then visit the SS office.

This is so complicated. I need the SSN to get the marriage certificate that has her last name changed to my name. I can't submit the AOS package without the marriage certificate (obviously). I would much rather have all the AOS paperwork done with her name already changed.

She does not even have a drivers license (apart from motorcycle) in her own country much less applied for one here. Does she need to apply for a VA ID card?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
This is so complicated. I need the SSN to get the marriage certificate that has her last name changed to my name. I can't submit the AOS package without the marriage certificate (obviously). I would much rather have all the AOS paperwork done with her name already changed.

She does not even have a drivers license (apart from motorcycle) in her own country much less applied for one here. Does she need to apply for a VA ID card?

I happen to be the USC. My husband did not have to have a SSN to get the marriage certificate. They just put Xs where the SSN was. They did look at his passport though. On the marriage certificate, it did have my last name being the new married name. That was my "proof" of a name change. While you would much rather have all the AOS paperwork done with her name already changed, that's just not feasible in all cases. It's just the way it is and the USCIS knows this. However, by the time your interview rolls around, I'm sure they would expect to see more (not all) documents, etc. showing her married name.

My husband doesn't have a drivers license either (he just has the motorcycle too..lol). We went for his learners, and had to show his 90 day stamp on his passport as proof of legal presence. HOWEVER, his learners expired on the 90th day. We have to wait until we get his GC (maybe EAD..but pretty sure GC) to get a learners/license as we don't have proof of him being here legally in the eyes of the DMV.

SO... you can try to get a VA ID card, but know it expires at the 90 day mark. The VA ID card AND the marriage certificate will have to be taken/sent to the Social Security office as proof. You may want to call them before hand to be sure that the VA ID card would count. Good luck!

Laura

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Timeline

Of course it just got worse. So... We applied for the marriage license we told them we were going to use my last name. Today we went to Social Security office, waited 1.5 hours and be processed the papers before telling us she is not in the system so we havE to wait 4 weeks for verification of her paperwork

It's been about 3 weeks since she got here and she's not in the system.

Now what do we do?

Ge married with her maiden name? Does that cause AOS poblems?

I Asked the Virginia four office and they said the marriagelicense only shows maiden name? I don't undestand what they need to know. Why did they ask if she is taking my last name and tell me about the SSN if their paperwork doesn't care?

Now I'm really baffled. Is the 90 day visa issue only to get married? We waited 3 weeks if we haveto wait 4 or more to get the SSN then get married then file AOS paperwok I think we are screwed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Of course it just got worse. So... We applied for the marriage license we told them we were going to use my last name. Today we went to Social Security office, waited 1.5 hours and be processed the papers before telling us she is not in the system so we havE to wait 4 weeks for verification of her paperwork

It's been about 3 weeks since she got here and she's not in the system.

Now what do we do?

Ge married with her maiden name? Does that cause AOS poblems?

I Asked the Virginia four office and they said the marriagelicense only shows maiden name? I don't undestand what they need to know. Why did they ask if she is taking my last name and tell me about the SSN if their paperwork doesn't care?

Now I'm really baffled. Is the 90 day visa issue only to get married? We waited 3 weeks if we haveto wait 4 or more to get the SSN then get married then file AOS paperwok I think we are screwed.

Are you sure they need a SSN to get married? I think if you don't have one, or if you tell them you are in the process of getting one, it's not a problem. By the way, we had to wait 7 weeks to get a SSN because of the same reason as yours, not in the system....

AOS/ROC/Citizenship Timeline

DO - Baltimore

2010/2011

Day 0 - Nov. 29: I-751(ROC) Package Sent

Day 1 - Nov. 30: I-751(ROC) Package Delivered @ VSC

Day 4 - Dec. 03: I-751(ROC) Check Cashed

Day 34 - Jan. 13-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Appointment Letter for 1/31/11

Day 46 - Jan. 31-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Completed

Day 138 - Jun. 09-2011: I-751(ROC) Approval Letter Received

Day 0 - Oct. 26 '11: N400 Package Sent

Day 1 - Oct. 27 '11: N400 Package Delivered @ Lewisville, TX

Day 5 - Oct. 31 '11: N400 NOA-1

Day 34 - Nov. 28 '11: Email: Placed in line for interview

Day 57 - Dec. 22 '11: Received yellow letter

Day 144 - Mar. 17 '12: Received fingerprinting letter

Day 147 - Mar. 20 '12: Biometrics completed

Day 156 - Mar. 29 '12: Email: Interview scheduled, letter in mail

Day 190 - May. 02 '12: Interview Completed, Passed, Oath same day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hmm.. I am not sure how Virginia's marriage license rules are but when we applied for our marriage license in MI, I had to use my maiden name because I was not married yet. I didn't need SSN, just passport and birth certificate to show my parents' names. Then the marriage license became my marriage certificate. On my marriage certificate, it does not indicate my new last name change. Just an indication that I married my husband.

Then I took my marriage certificate and passport and other stuff to apply for my Social Security Card for the first time, 2 months after I entered the US, one week after our wedding. I filled out the form with my new last name, showed them my marriage certificate and that's it.

As I mentioned above, my marriage license/certificate is in my maiden name. I applied for my AOS with my new married name. The USCIS people are able to figure out the names since you will have to send them a copy of your marriage license. So I believe you can go ahead and do whatever you plan to do.

All the best to you. Cheers!

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

Timeline
Hmm.. I am not sure how Virginia's marriage license rules are but when we applied for our marriage license in MI, I had to use my maiden name because I was not married yet. I didn't need SSN, just passport and birth certificate to show my parents' names. Then the marriage license became my marriage certificate. On my marriage certificate, it does not indicate my new last name change. Just an indication that I married my husband.

Then I took my marriage certificate and passport and other stuff to apply for my Social Security Card for the first time, 2 months after I entered the US, one week after our wedding. I filled out the form with my new last name, showed them my marriage certificate and that's it.

As I mentioned above, my marriage license/certificate is in my maiden name. I applied for my AOS with my new married name. The USCIS people are able to figure out the names since you will have to send them a copy of your marriage license. So I believe you can go ahead and do whatever you plan to do.

All the best to you. Cheers!

Thanks. I believe i'm "over thinking" this after the Virginia office told me I had to get the SSN to have her use my name. Unfortunately we just applied for the SSN in her maiden name thinking we had to get that done first. Now we'll have to wait for that one before we change it.

I double checked the marriage license paperwork and i don't see anything about using my name other than having to apply for name change with SSN etc.

I think we just carry on with...getting married, file AOS and then await the SSN and when we get it, go back again to change the name.

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.