bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

One of our friends was telling us about her SIL's situation. Her brother's wife is a foreign national and she is here as a PR. They were pursuing citizenship because her brother's health is failing and he wanted to ensure his wife is looked after. Apparently, after he dies, if she goes back to her home country to be with her family she cannot continue to receive a widow's pension as PR's who leave the country are no longer entitled. I find that kind of harsh.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I never thought i would change my citizenship but as time pass by and learning about german laws

well i lived in canada as a PR for almost 20 years never gave up my german citizenship ,

but I got curiouse and looked into what to do to be dual citizen and I couldnt belive it ,

the german Gov actualy want you to aply for some kinda cert

about a year before you aply for another citizenship and pay around 700 euros

to be able to keep the german citizenship,

and since i dont see a point in aplying and paying for something that I was born into

and should have the right to keep on my own choice reguardless if I take on another citizenship

just to have it on a piece of papper proving my citizenship to a country I know i will never return to live

( other then a short visit to my siblings )

yeah it was disapointing to see all the steps I would have to take to keep the german citizenship if i would like to be dual ,

well I came to the decission

if they like to be so ####### and have the power over something only you should have the final say so ,

then yes i think in a year or two I will drop the german citizenship and go for the US citizenship

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

My husband wants to pursue his citizenship when the time comes. He's said he's never really felt "at home" in Canada like he does here. Now that he's a truck driver, he wants dual citizenship more than ever since he wants to transport goods between Canada and the US. I will be very happy when he gets his citizenship because then I'm not bound by the Affidavit of Support anymore. That's been weighing on me very heavily.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

My wife and I will be filing for her citizenship process as soon as possible (just a few months :) ). I used to feel very strongly about this but the more I've thought about it the more I realize that it should strictly be the person/couple's business on what route they'll take. While I'd never agree with someone applying for citizenship if it's just to get out of further debt with USCIS in the future, if the person is living and contributing the right way and went through this horrible immigration process already, I say to each their own :)

Good luck to all!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am the foreigner and when the time comes I will file for citizenship. I will still retain my Canadianness, just adding on a new American identity.

If it meant I could only keep one or the other, I'd need to think about it long and hard. But I can have both, so I will.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, citizenship means different things to different people. Perhaps some here are only getting U.S. citizenship out of convenience and not out of true love of the country - or whatever some Americans might deem worthy ideals. However it would seem most, if not all here, have nothing but good intentions toward taking U.S. citizenship.

But seriously, I don't see how any country can expect ALL new citizens to mean this:

I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.

I doubt most people could honestly say (if they love the country of their birth) that they renounce all allegiance to it. In fact, I personally don't understand why it is in the oath at all. Allegiance to the U.S. yes - renouncing allegiance to your home country - I just don't see the point.

They need a polling booth at the swearing in ceremony, as people leave the room they should anonymously answer the question - did you mean that or not?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, citizenship means different things to different people. Perhaps some here are only getting U.S. citizenship out of convenience and not out of true love of the country - or whatever some Americans might deem worthy ideals. However it would seem most, if not all here, have nothing but good intentions toward taking U.S. citizenship.

But seriously, I don't see how any country can expect ALL new citizens to mean this:

I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.

I doubt most people could honestly say (if they love the country of their birth) that they renounce all allegiance to it. In fact, I personally don't understand why it is in the oath at all. Allegiance to the U.S. yes - renouncing allegiance to your home country - I just don't see the point.

They need a polling booth at the swearing in ceremony, as people leave the room they should anonymously answer the question - did you mean that or not?

If their response to that question is "No", then they should maintain their LPR status.

I don't agree with the portion about taking up arms, nobody should be forced to fight a war, no matter what. But the rest seems fairly reasonable. I think the nature of how each nation was formed has a bit to do with the oath of citizenship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No problem about taking up arms--and not just because I'm an ex-milt arty guy--Just because Freedom isn't free. Millions of soldiers have given their lives for our freedom--off my soapbox,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm doing it for the step kids.. that is all.

The money (should there be any) in the event of something happening to my DH will not be taxed to death ( I've read that perm. residents are taxed at a higher rate).. and therefore once the bills are paid there will be more to give to the kids..

That's it.. My only reason.

Oh and to stick it to the man (aka USELESS- USCIS)

:whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is exactly where I'm having my problem in taking US Citizenship. I just cannot get by stating that I renounce and avoid allegiance and fidelity to Canada. It would be very easy for me to just go along knowing I don't really mean what I say but it would be a false oath.

I don't think I can let Canada out of my heart and renounce my birth Country under oath

My problem is in no way a knock against people who want and take out Citizenship. It's just something I can't seem to overcome.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
This is exactly where I'm having my problem in taking US Citizenship. I just cannot get by stating that I renounce and avoid allegiance and fidelity to Canada. It would be very easy for me to just go along knowing I don't really mean what I say but it would be a false oath.

I don't think I can let Canada out of my heart and renounce my birth Country under oath

My problem is in no way a knock against people who want and take out Citizenship. It's just something I can't seem to overcome.

I don't think anyone would fault you for that. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The other day I was at a birthday party and a woman there was sharing how she immigrated 2 years ago from Canada on a K1 Visa. I asked her if she is going to become a US citizen, and she said she would lose her Canadian retirement if she did that.

True?

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline
The other day I was at a birthday party and a woman there was sharing how she immigrated 2 years ago from Canada on a K1 Visa. I asked her if she is going to become a US citizen, and she said she would lose her Canadian retirement if she did that.

True?

The Old Age Security pension is like a large pie divided into 40 equal portions. If you qualify for the "full pension," you are entitled to receive all 40 portions each month. If you qualify for a "partial pension," you will receive some, but not all, of the 40 portions each month. Whether you qualify for a full or partial pension depends on how long you've lived in Canada. See below for more details.

Full Pension

Normally, if you meet the conditions in either of the two categories below, you qualify for a full pension:

Category 1 -

You lived in Canada for at least 40 years after turning 18.

Category 2 - You were 25 years of age or over on July 1, 1977, and;

resided in Canada, or;

had some prior residence in Canada after age 18, or;

were in possession of a valid Canadian Immigration Visa and

You resided in Canada for the 10 years immediatelyprior to the approval of your application.

If you have not lived in Canada for all of these last 10 years because you gave up residence here at some time, you may still qualify for a full pension if you meet both conditions below:

You lived in Canada for the year immediately before your application was approved.

Prior to these last 10 years, you lived in Canada after age 18 at least 3 times as long as the total of your absences during the last 10 years.

Partial Pension

Timeline
The Old Age Security pension is like a large pie divided into 40 equal portions. If you qualify for the "full pension," you are entitled to receive all 40 portions each month. If you qualify for a "partial pension," you will receive some, but not all, of the 40 portions each month. Whether you qualify for a full or partial pension depends on how long you've lived in Canada. See below for more details.

Full Pension

Normally, if you meet the conditions in either of the two categories below, you qualify for a full pension:

Category 1 -

You lived in Canada for at least 40 years after turning 18.

Category 2 - You were 25 years of age or over on July 1, 1977, and;

resided in Canada, or;

had some prior residence in Canada after age 18, or;

were in possession of a valid Canadian Immigration Visa and

You resided in Canada for the 10 years immediatelyprior to the approval of your application.

If you have not lived in Canada for all of these last 10 years because you gave up residence here at some time, you may still qualify for a full pension if you meet both conditions below:

You lived in Canada for the year immediately before your application was approved.

Prior to these last 10 years, you lived in Canada after age 18 at least 3 times as long as the total of your absences during the last 10 years.

Partial Pension

Partial Pension

If you don't qualify for the full pension and you meet the conditions in either of the situations below, you may qualify for a partial pension. Once a partial pension is approved, the number of portions of the "pie" that you will receive can never be increased. You will, however, qualify for any cost-of-living increases.

Consult the Old Age Security Payment Rates for current rate information.

7. How much is a partial pension?

For each complete year of residence in Canada after age 18, you earn 1 of the 40 portions available in the pension. In other words, if you lived in Canada for 10 years after age 18, you would qualify to receive 10 portions which is equal to one-quarter of the full pension.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.