bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be taking up citizenship as soon as I can. I have a degree in political science which qualifies me for a number of government jobs here in Colorado, where the federal government is one of the states largest employers. Unfortunately for 98% of those jobs one must be a US citizen. So in order to do what I really want, at the end of the day, citizenship is my only option.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I too will most likely become a citizen when the time is near. For one of the main reasons stated by Ant.... the cost. I'm in the final stages of receiving my two year GC.. *still giggling like crazy about that*..and when I move to the ROC part of my journey....I wonder...how much will it be?? The cost of the K-1 increased by the time Tim and I applied, and it's a strong possibility of the visa ITSELF increasing drastically! We'll have to pay whatever the cost is in two years anyway, but I really don't want to pay again in 10 years after that. (besides, I'll be about 58!!) Not that there's anything wrong with being 58..but I really don't want to be dealing with USCIS by then...

Tim -...Same reasoning for me too..See above posts... :thumbs:

They alredy increased the fees from 2-3 years ago...It used to be $400..now it's $675...

Why such an increase...unreasonable..Does not justify with inflation either..

Right now it costs $200-300 to renew a 10yr gc...

Gosh knows how much that would cost in 10years time! A fortune!

Lol..I'd rather deal with the DMV and renew my EDL than deal with the USCIS and renew my green card..lol..

And yes...Tim..at 58 later on..you have other costs to be worrying about...Might as well save up for retirement early, than to let the USCIS dip into your retirement fund!

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

Everyone-One more reason...I forgot to mention..

By becoming a US Citizen, one relieves the sponsor/co-sponsor of the affidavit of support....

I don't think it's fair to have sponsors and co-sponsors to have that burden on a person...

Im responsible for my own debt..not someone else!

It's not fair that the USCIS should hold that other USC person responsible....grrr....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I will be going for citizenship for a lot of the same reasons that you all have mentioned.

Plus, John cannot continue to get higher security clearances without me having citizenship, so it's not just for me, but for him as well.

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the USC in my K1 petition for my fiance. We don't even have an interview date scheduled yet, but we've had brief conversations about him obtaining US citizenship when he's eligible. He said he has no desire to take that step. I haven't really asked why, but I assume it's becuase he's very proud to be Canadian. It's interseting to hear everyone's reasons however. We are so early in this process that we haven't even thought of half of your arguments for or against. It gives us something to keep in mind.

AOS, EAD & AP sent: 4/9/10

NOA1: 4/19/10

Biometrics Appt: 5/26/10

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think any of us are doing it just for convenience, Rob. None of us go through this stupid, painful, stressful, heart breaking process for the final goal of citizenship for convenience.

I find you posting that, and your opinion, to be a bit crass.

There have been several people who have aluded to that in posts, not necissarily in this thread, but in past threads in this sub-forum. Like I said, I take citizenship very seriously and would not take it if I did not intend to take the oath to heart. I would prefer to remain a permanent resident, but that is just my opinion. I'm sorry if it offends people. More than likely, i'll be in this same situation when we move to canada. I will not take citizenship if I don't think I can take on what the oath means.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not taking Canadian citizenship because they're a bit more lax in the PR requirement for residency (you can move abroad with your spouse and retain your PR).

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be taking citizenship when it comes to that point.

There is no way I could live in a democracy and not be a contributing member.

I will always be Canadian at heart but I think it is very important to become an active member of the country that I will be living in.

You also don't know what will happen down the road and I would like to have the same protection as my husband and I will be a proud American/Canadian. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I became a US citizen 14 years ago after immigrating with a labor certification because I want to be as unlimited as possible in my involvement in this great country.

I have enjoyed voting and the feeling of ownership and freedom that citizenship brings.

After 20 years the US feels like home...

but no one will ever make hockey players like Canada!

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was not going to take out citizenship when I started the process but I want the freedom to cross the border and not have to worry about getting back across.

And of course I want to vote. I too think that one should be an active participant in the country they live in.

I will ALWAYS be Canadian at heart, nothing will ever change that. :D(L)

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Timeline

I think that, culturally, we see things differently as Canadians. Canadians expect people from other countries to retain their identities and share it with others. I feel Americans want people from other countries to assimilate and not stand out. I think that may explain some of the viewpoints on here.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I will definitely apply for citizenship as soon as I am able to. :thumbs:

Same here. I look forward to one day being a dual citizen.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think there's a good chance that I will want to too. Hard to say at this juncture, since I'm not even a Permanent Resident yet...but right now I'm about 70% swayed by it, with the 30% NOT swayed being because of verbally renouncing other citizenship. I don't know if I'll be comfortable doing that.

I'm in that same frame of mind I would like to take out US citizenship but when I say I will do it and it palys on my mind awhile I find it hard in my heart to denounce Canada

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pros:

- I can proudly finally call myself an American

- I can get almost any cool fun job I want other then president and a couple of really off the ball highend security gov't jobs that I haven't even heard of anyways

- I can look at the American flag and go mine mine mine

- I can vote to try and prevent retards from getting into office

- I can live and move and have all the freedom I want. I can live under the 110 freeway in Compton if I want and work at Taco Bell

- Only time I have to deal with immigration is if I call them up to chat about the weather, or if I drive or fly to another foreign country.

Cons:

- Stupid freaking jury duty #######. I was so immune of ever having that being an issue, now I am eligible for jury duty dammit.

That was all...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.