bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
LOL!!! Canadians are like the Starfleet Federation and Americans are like the Borg!!! :wacko: (true nerd colours showing through!!!!)

Resistance is futile. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Resistance is futile. :D

Thank you for eeing the humour in that 124 of 560983!!!

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I "own" a gun.

Does this count?

(No seriously, does it? Haha.)

Does that count towards what?

ok, now no one is saying that :wacko:

Maybe not outright, but taking citizenship just to get a job or because you think it's a prize, or so you don't have to pay the immigration fees is tantamount to saying it.

Timeline
just because people are doing it for convenience doesn't mean they won't take being an American citizen seriously

When you list convenience or getting out of fees as your main reason..... it makes it hard to make that same conclussion.

Timeline
When you list convenience or getting out of fees as your main reason..... it makes it hard to make that same conclussion.

well, you can think what you want but I am telling you if I become a citizen I wold take it seriously even though my reason for becoming a citizen was because of convenience...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Does owning a gun count toward being a citizen of America?

It is in their rights.

I was a bit joking anyway. It's not even mine, it's my fiance's but he bought it for me. I can't handle his pistols.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
Does owning a gun count toward being a citizen of America?

It is in their rights.

I was a bit joking anyway. It's not even mine, it's my fiance's but he bought it for me. I can't handle his pistols.

I bet he would :whistle:

I bet he would :whistle:

:rofl:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

If you're interested, you can read about my Citizenship Ceremony Experience here....

ANT IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN! OATH CEREMONY DETAILED STORY…., (11/23/09) My Immigration Journey Is Over…3+ years and 2500 posts later

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=230818&hl=

Words to the oath, as mentioned in the above link...

DO: Now this is the part that you repeat after me. I’ll go through this line by line…

Ant: Ok..

DO: I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen

Ant: (repeats after the DO…)

DO: That I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic

D: (takes a photo with the camera)

DO: That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

DO: That I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law

DO: That I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law

DO: That I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law

DO: And that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

D: (takes another photo with the camera)

DO: Congratulations. You are now a US Citizen. Here is your certificate and flag (gives me the certificate, a USCIS brown envelope to put the certificate in, along with a small American flag).

(note: mine was a private oath ceremony that was conducted one-on-one and only lasted 15-20 mins total, which was somewhat 'different' from the traditional group oath ceremony, but nevertheless, it's almost the same thing...lol..just imagine a traditional oath ceremony wiht 30-2000 people instead and with more hoopla and pomp and circumstanes, and lasting for much longer for about 2-4 hours for the actual ceremony..)

Maybe this will help you decide as to whether or not you want to "take the plunge to US Citizenship" or not...;)

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your immigration and citizenship journeys...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Cons:

- Stupid freaking jury duty #######. I was so immune of ever having that being an issue, now I am eligible for jury duty dammit.

Lol...I agree....Jury Duty for both Canada and the USA! Uggh.... :wacko:

Oh the drawbacks of dual citizenship!

Actually, I got a notice for Canadian jury duty last year.....(despite me not living there anymore)....

And now that I'm a US Citizen....I might get an American jury duty notice too....

It should be interesting..lol...

If I am called for jury duty in both countries in my lifetime....:lol:

Why they pick on me for a jury, who knows.....

Hmmm.....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Everyone,

By the way, here is another funny one for you about voting experiences...

An election in Canada was in November..

My 18th birthday was in December...

THEREFORE I CANNOT VOTE

I turned 18...Voted in a few Canadian Elections from then onwards....VOTING FOR ME in Canada... :thumbs:

Then I got married and moved to the USA......NO MORE VOTING FOR ME from 2006-2009...

I got a notice from Elections Canada last year to update me on the list....

I wanted to vote in Canada...

Since I am a citizen of Canada...BUT...I am not a resident of Canada..

THEREFORE I CANNOT VOTE in 2009

I wanted to vote in the USA...

Since I am a resident of the USA...BUT...I am not a citizen of the USA...

THEREFORE I CANNOT VOTE in 2009

So I became a US Ciitizen in November 2009...

BUT...I wasn't a citizen in time....

Missed the election by 3 weeks...

THEREFORE I CANNOT VOTE in 2009...

BUT in 2010....

I got my US Voter's Registration Card!! (As of January 2010)...

THEREFORE I CAN VOTE in 2010 and onwards here in the USA!!!...... :thumbs:

I feel so voting-deprived...I haven't voted at all in years (since 2004, I think)!... :wacko:

I can't wait to vote again in 2010! :dance:

So I encourage everyone..."Be seen and be heard as a citizen"! Go out and vote in your country! :thumbs:

Good luck on your citizenship and voting journeys too!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

If you're interested, you can read about my Citizenship Ceremony Experience here....

ANT IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN! OATH CEREMONY DETAILED STORY…., (11/23/09) My Immigration Journey Is Over…3+ years and 2500 posts later

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=230818&hl=

Words to the oath, as mentioned in the above link...

DO: Now this is the part that you repeat after me. I’ll go through this line by line…

Ant: Ok..

DO: I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen

DO: That I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic

D: (takes a photo with the camera)

DO: That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

DO: That I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law

DO: That I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law

DO: That I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law

DO: And that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

D: (takes another photo with the camera)

DO: Congratulations. You are now a US Citizen. Here is your certificate and flag (gives me the certificate, a USCIS brown envelope to put the certificate in, along with a small American flag).

(note: mine was a private oath ceremony that was conducted one-on-one and only lasted 15-20 mins total, which was somewhat 'different' from the traditional group oath ceremony, but nevertheless, it's almost the same thing...lol..just imagine a traditional oath ceremony wiht 30-2000 people instead and with more hoopla and pomp and circumstanes, and lasting for much longer for about 2-4 hours for the actual ceremony..)

Maybe this will help you decide as to whether or not you want to "take the plunge to US Citizenship" or not...;)

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your immigration and citizenship journeys...

Ant

I do not believe the traditional oath ceremony is 2-4 hrs! Mine was little over 30 minutes in the fairfax VA office with around 100 people. I htink the whole whole process lasted just over 2.5 hrs! 2 hrs of it was just sitting around,lol When u first got there u sta there, then u lined up and handed in the 1 peice of paper, showed ID and hande dover ur green card. then more waiting and waiting. then ushered up the the ceremony room, wher eu waited and waited, and the actual ceremony was little over 30 minutes in length. Bring a good book to read!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.