bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My uncle traps beavers, rabbits, lynx, bears. My grandpa was also a logger and is the Canadian loggers hall of fame.

We're so Canadian it hurts. :lol:

There's a hall of fame for logging?

Seriously, stop fvcking with the american :P

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Everyone has reasons for doing things they do. Worse things have been done.... not sure why the internet always turns into a debate battleground. :)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline
There's a hall of fame for logging?

Seriously, stop fvcking with the american :P

Yes there is. :lol: Well "Ontario Loggers" sorry, not Canadian.

But ya... my grandpa was a logger in Ontario, would run on the logs and everything. He used to enter logging contests too. :lol:

He worked at the Mill in Temagami for like 40 years before it closed down.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Yes there is. :lol: Well "Ontario Loggers" sorry, not Canadian.

But ya... my grandpa was a logger in Ontario, would run on the logs and everything. He used to enter logging contests too. :lol:

He worked at the Mill in Temagami for like 40 years before it closed down.

That is seriously cool :thumbs:

Everyone has reasons for doing things they do. Worse things have been done.... not sure why the internet always turns into a debate battleground. :)

Godwin's Law.

Timeline
As soon as I become a citizen I plan on raising an American flag in my front yard, buying myself a ford truck and having someone airbrush a giant bald eagle on the back, I'll also start saying things like "ya'll" and "huh" and really take an active and serious roll in my citizenship.

I know we've moved on from this but OMG, this post cracked me up.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Timeline

My uncle who traps, I remember being a kid and going up to visit my cousins and you'd never want to go to the basement because there's be dead animals hanging upside down... and giant hooks and everything. My uncle is such a backwoods type of man. I remember driving with him in his truck and there were all these cars on the side of the highway looking at a moose in the swamp. All these tourists were snapping pictures of this majestic moose and my uncle gets out and grabs his gun from the back of his truck and shot the damn thing!!

People were HORRIFIED! And he looks at them smiled and said: "Well you can all come over for dinner if you like" I remember just ducking down in my seat and wanting to just crawl into a hole and die... just until all those people left.

He's just your typical northern small town native.

He took me fishing once when I was 12 and we were sitting in a boat and I was happily fishing and all of a sudden he grabs his gun and starts shooting into the water. I like fell off my seat and was down on the floor with my ears covered wondering what the hell was going on!! Then after he's done he says: "I get tired of waiting for them to bite"

He's such a character... I have thought about writing a book about him.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

lolz!!!!

I sometimes feel like doing that at Burger King when I don't feel like standing in line for my Whopper!!! Watch them pickles fly!!

Kidding...

:hehe:

My uncle who traps, I remember being a kid and going up to visit my cousins and you'd never want to go to the basement because there's be dead animals hanging upside down... and giant hooks and everything. My uncle is such a backwoods type of man. I remember driving with him in his truck and there were all these cars on the side of the highway looking at a moose in the swamp. All these tourists were snapping pictures of this majestic moose and my uncle gets out and grabs his gun from the back of his truck and shot the damn thing!!

People were HORRIFIED! And he looks at them smiled and said: "Well you can all come over for dinner if you like" I remember just ducking down in my seat and wanting to just crawl into a hole and die... just until all those people left.

He's just your typical northern small town native.

He took me fishing once when I was 12 and we were sitting in a boat and I was happily fishing and all of a sudden he grabs his gun and starts shooting into the water. I like fell off my seat and was down on the floor with my ears covered wondering what the hell was going on!! Then after he's done he says: "I get tired of waiting for them to bite"

He's such a character... I have thought about writing a book about him.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

I plan on applying for naturalization once I can, for a few reasons:

• US Passport, no more major issues with USCBP
  • No more dealing with USCIS
  • Possible security clearance (which opens up a few avenues for me as I'm a developer)
  • The ability to vote in elections (something I really value... I'm very into politics)
  • The ability to hold political office (as I said, I'm very into politics; while it's not on my radar right now, one day it might be)

If things change in how either country deals with dual citizens, my plans might change too.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Timeline
well, you can think what you want but I am telling you if I become a citizen I wold take it seriously even though my reason for becoming a citizen was because of convenience...

Exactly!

I look at the other way around. As a Canadian, I could CARE LESS why people immigrate to Canada.....as long as they will be good citizens who contribute to society in a positive manner. I love diversity and welcome people from wherever they originate....whether they come here out of convenience, for better opportunities, or whatever....as long as they're good people who abide by Cdn laws. They can also love their country of birth more than Canada, and I could care less. After all, I know a lot of people born and raised in Canada (and the US for that matter) who are not as good of citizens as people who have immigrated to the particular country.

My question though....once you get citizenship, is it something that they (the US gov't) can revoke at anytime or are you a USC for life? Don't get me wrong, I have no plans of doing anything to justify revoking it. ;)

Timeline

I would ask, why shouldn't it. When you have your friends over for dinner don't you ever discuss stuff? Internet conversations tend to get a bit snippy at times, but I would imagine this is because it is hard to see people's intent in the written word.

But all in all, nothing wrong with a good friendly debate.

When you list convenience or getting out of fees as your main reason..... it makes it hard to make that same conclussion.

I personnally stand in the middle. I would definitely take citizenship seriously. I would consider myself an American as much as I would consider myself Canadian. I am a brunette and I am short and no matter what color I dye my hair I will always be a brunette.

Thing is, if citizenship was just a "title", I would probablh think twice. But immigration laws, border crossing, job searching, etc so many fields now depend on this "title" that it's almost a necessary evil in order to live our life here. At least for many of us. I want to be able to come and go between eveyrbody in my family, Canadian or American, as I please without any problem. And if I have a kid with my husband I definitely want to be the same citizenship.

Now, I think the Allegiance thing would be a main concern if the USA would become at war with Canada..... And as Citizens we probably would be forced to support the spangled banner because they would not recognize our Canadian citizenship. I think any of us would be Fukced! But I hope that never happens. :bonk:

Anyway, I respect the reasons why some people want to become a citizen as I will probably do the same, and I believe that the government and laws forced it upon us.

As soon as I become a citizen I plan on raising an American flag in my front yard, buying myself a ford truck and having someone airbrush a giant bald eagle on the back, I'll also start saying things like "ya'll" and "huh" and really take an active and serious roll in my citizenship.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I plan on getting the most out of my captain america unitard at my oath ceremony.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nev you made me laugh so hard hubby asked me "#######!"

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline
My question though....once you get citizenship, is it something that they (the US gov't) can revoke at anytime or are you a USC for life? Don't get me wrong, I have no plans of doing anything to justify revoking it. ;)

I could be wrong about this, I'm not sure, but I believe once you become a US Citizen Uncle Sam has his claws in you. Meaning that if you should decide to move back to Canada or another country, you will still need to file and possibly pay US taxes if for some reason your new country does not tax you to US levels.

I know this is the way it is if I (the US Citizen in this relationship, my husband is the Canadian) wanted to move to Canada. I can't see why it would be different if you are a natural born citizen or a naturalized citizen.

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I could be wrong about this, I'm not sure, but I believe once you become a US Citizen Uncle Sam has his claws in you. Meaning that if you should decide to move back to Canada or another country, you will still need to file and possibly pay US taxes if for some reason your new country does not tax you to US levels.

I know this is the way it is if I (the US Citizen in this relationship, my husband is the Canadian) wanted to move to Canada. I can't see why it would be different if you are a natural born citizen or a naturalized citizen.

Partiall true and mostly not. You are required to fill out a form and any US income you make while over in the other country or and US money you made before leaving is taxable. So if you are working for the US government overseas, you are still required to be taxed. If you made all your money in the foreign country then you just submit your form and you don't pay anything regardless of how much you made over there. That's all it is...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Exactly!

I look at the other way around. As a Canadian, I could CARE LESS why people immigrate to Canada.....as long as they will be good citizens who contribute to society in a positive manner. I love diversity and welcome people from wherever they originate....whether they come here out of convenience, for better opportunities, or whatever....as long as they're good people who abide by Cdn laws. They can also love their country of birth more than Canada, and I could care less. After all, I know a lot of people born and raised in Canada (and the US for that matter) who are not as good of citizens as people who have immigrated to the particular country.

I believe, if you're not a natural born citizen, they CAN revoke citizenship, if at any time they find out you lied in order to gain citizenship, which can include an error or omission on applications or verbal information provided. As well, treason. So, yes, while I'm sure it doesn't happen very often, you could have your citizenship revoked.

carlahmsb4.gif

I think if you really want to be an american, you'd need to say your oath using the Hulk Hogan voice. :lol:

While I'm not a huge wraaastling fan I thought Hogan's entry song rocked !!

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.