bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After many years of long and hard thought, pros and cons weighing - I have decided that on October 11th I WILL apply to become a citizen of the US.

What are your reasons for becoming one, or deciding not to and how has that impacted your life?

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (the Canadian) is going to get US citizenship. I just opens up doors and allows an easier flow of travel between Canada and the US.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

That's my plan too, Brad...

I don't see too many cons, to be honest with you... you get to retain your Canadian passport -- in fact, you'd be considered dual... .

You can work in security level jobs if you so desire... .

I don't see too many downsides to that...

:)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Timeline
My husband (the Canadian) is going to get US citizenship. I just opens up doors and allows an easier flow of travel between Canada and the US.

Ditto.

I'm applying in June. My reasons:

• I won't have to go through the visa process again if we decide to move out of the country for a bit.
  • It allows me to apply for some government jobs which require citizenship.
  • I can vote!

There were other reasons that I can't remember at the moment. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Bradcanuck,

That's great that you decided that you are going to apply for US Citizenship!

Lol...And yes, start saving up the $675 application fee and gathering the paperwork now, and when your turn comes, you'll be ready to file for such!

By the way, according to the USCIS, one has to meet all of the following conditions in order to become a US Citizen (based on marriage):

-Been a permanent resident for 3 years

-Been married to the same USC for 3 years

-Your spouse/you must have been a USC for at least 3 years (which if born in the USA, since their birth)

-Been residing physically in the USA for 3 years

So when you've met ALL those requirments/conditions, you are good and ready to file...

The earliest you (and anyone else applying based on marriage) can file for US Citizenship is 3 years minus 90 days from the "residence since" date on your 2yr/10yr green card.

As for my reasons on becoming a US Citizen...(which I also included in my N-400 application cover letter, though optional):

On a personal note, I (Ant) would like to become a US Citizen through Naturalization for the following reasons:

• I love living here in America, and feel like I belong more here when I become a US Citizen, for example, in being able to vote

• (another positive personal reason...)

• (another positive personal reason...)

• Immigration fees are high and frequently increase, which will be more hardship if I apply later

• I want to end on a good experience with the USCIS, despite having unreasonable delays before

Lol..I guess those reasons, both the positive and the negative ones were good enough...

As my citizenship application was approved.....and I became a US Citizen as of November 2009!

And now I'm a dual American/Canadian Citizen! :dance:

As for how becoming a US Citizen has impacted my life...

Well, yes, it has made a difference...

Lol..besides the obvious fact of "getting rid of the USCIS" for the rest of my life...

Being a US Citizen has made me feel like I "belong" more in the country and a part of a place where I will spend the rest of my life in....

No worries about deporation, leaving, or anything else like that!

I can stay forever, and be with my family here!....

(then of course, there are other reasons too..but that's another story..would rather not discuss that here on vj..lol...)

I'm sure you'll think of reasons too as to why you want to apply for US Citizenship, and may this be a positive experience for you and your family too...

By the way, feel free to post and read on the VJ US Citizenship General Discussion Forums here too...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=114

As well, you can read the VJ Guides here about that too...

US Naturalization (N-400) Step-by-Step Guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...alization_guide

And if you want to read about my experiences, feel free to look up my past VJ posts about the citizenshop process...

Hope this helps too. Good luck with your citizenship application in October too.

Ant

After many years of long and hard thought, pros and cons weighing - I have decided that on October 11th I WILL apply to become a citizen of the US.

What are your reasons for becoming one, or deciding not to and how has that impacted your life?

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

For me personally, I could not take citizenship, any citizenship if I had no plans to uphold the oath of citizenship you take. Becoming a citizen for convenience I find a bit crass, but that's just my opinion.

Timeline

As i said before, a few of us have no choice and I will leave it at that. So if I don't live up to the "pledge" not my fault, but I'm an honest tax paying citizen and have no prob bearing arms to defend the USA, but, yes, as i have stated before, i consider myself 100% Cdn. Biggest benefit, no more USCIS. No more worries about being denied entry to the USA. Now able to work some of the Gov't job only open to USA citizens. Gaining citizenships is a fairly easy process, best of luck. I type this in my Ruinning Room shirt that has "CANADA" stitched on the back,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
For me personally, I could not take citizenship, any citizenship if I had no plans to uphold the oath of citizenship you take. Becoming a citizen for convenience I find a bit crass, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think any of us are doing it just for convenience, Rob. None of us go through this stupid, painful, stressful, heart breaking process for the final goal of citizenship for convenience.

I find you posting that, and your opinion, to be a bit crass.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I plan to become a citizen.

Partly for convenience, partly because I do like living here a lot and partly because I would like to rid myself of USCIS forever.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I think there's a good chance that I will want to too. Hard to say at this juncture, since I'm not even a Permanent Resident yet...but right now I'm about 70% swayed by it, with the 30% NOT swayed being because of verbally renouncing other citizenship. I don't know if I'll be comfortable doing that.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

I too will most likely become a citizen when the time is near. For one of the main reasons stated by Ant.... the cost. I'm in the final stages of receiving my two year GC.. *still giggling like crazy about that*..and when I move to the ROC part of my journey....I wonder...how much will it be?? The cost of the K-1 increased by the time Tim and I applied, and it's a strong possibility of the visa ITSELF increasing drastically! We'll have to pay whatever the cost is in two years anyway, but I really don't want to pay again in 10 years after that. (besides, I'll be about 58!!) Not that there's anything wrong with being 58..but I really don't want to be dealing with USCIS by then...

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

I highly respect that!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline
As i said before, a few of us have no choice and I will leave it at that. So if I don't live up to the "pledge" not my fault, but I'm an honest tax paying citizen and have no prob bearing arms to defend the USA, but, yes, as i have stated before, i consider myself 100% Cdn. Biggest benefit, no more USCIS. No more worries about being denied entry to the USA. Now able to work some of the Gov't job only open to USA citizens. Gaining citizenships is a fairly easy process, best of luck. I type this in my Ruinning Room shirt that has "CANADA" stitched on the back,lol

Fla-You wearing the Canada socks too???...:lol:....

I don't think any of us are doing it just for convenience, Rob. None of us go through this stupid, painful, stressful, heart breaking process for the final goal of citizenship for convenience.

Mal-:thumbs:...Lol..and $675 is extra debt for citizenship is not "convenient", nor is dealing with the USCIS an extra 2-6 months "convenient" either!

I plan to become a citizen.

Partly for convenience, partly because I do like living here a lot and partly because I would like to rid myself of USCIS forever.

Sap-:thumbs:...Same reasoning for me too..See above post...

Remember to all- Citizenship is an OPTIONAL stage...you can choose to be a US citizen or not be a UScitizen...Lol..either way, you'll still be Canadian regardless, as you legally don't have to give up that citzenship when you become American ...Lol...Who says we can't be loyal to both countries..;)

Good luck to all in your immagrtion journeys and citizenship endevors too!

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.