VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
If strictly assets (from banks accounts) are being used for the I 864, is a bank letter sufficient or do they need statements?

I would get both, it certainly couldn't help. Remember you need three time the amount so roughly $18K x 3.

I don't know if you could actually get by with just money though honestly... I would organise a co-sponsor just in case you get an RFE saying you need actual income.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I keep up on your thread, but I noticed one thing about the AOS still shows old price, just thought youmight want to know.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Timeline
I keep up on your thread, but I noticed one thing about the AOS still shows old price, just thought youmight want to know.

I'm no longer an organiser and therefore unable to edit the OP. I did change the text in the section above the dot point list, but completely missed the list item :S I've reported it asking for it to be fixed but I highly doubt they can do anything... :( It bothers me a lot actually (the inability to edit the OP), and something I've mentioned to Ewok.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm no longer an organiser and therefore unable to edit the OP. I did change the text in the section above the dot point list, but completely missed the list item :S I've reported it asking for it to be fixed but I highly doubt they can do anything... :( It bothers me a lot actually (the inability to edit the OP), and something I've mentioned to Ewok.

I understand and with USCIS changing things so often, VJ needs to allow updates to any thread (present or past)

Thanks for the response.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Vanessa&Tony,

Its been a while that i have got onto VJ and i am glad that this post is still active.... :thumbs:

Its been almost a year since i have received my Green Card and i have been thinking of applying to Remove the Conditions on my Greed Card. The rules of USCIS states that i am supposed to apply for Removal of Conditions before 90 days of its expiration date....the expiration date on my Green Card is 05/25/2012....

My question - What else do i need to file apart from I-751

DO i need to wait for the 90 day time frame to file for REmoval of COnditions or can i apply for it earlier

Has anybody here already applied for Removal of COnditions...

Can you please provide suggestions

Thanks

Ravi

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline
Hello Vanessa&Tony,

Its been a while that i have got onto VJ and i am glad that this post is still active.... :thumbs:

Its been almost a year since i have received my Green Card and i have been thinking of applying to Remove the Conditions on my Greed Card. The rules of USCIS states that i am supposed to apply for Removal of Conditions before 90 days of its expiration date....the expiration date on my Green Card is 05/25/2012....

My question - What else do i need to file apart from I-751

DO i need to wait for the 90 day time frame to file for REmoval of COnditions or can i apply for it earlier

Has anybody here already applied for Removal of COnditions...

Can you please provide suggestions

The I-751 stuff is SO much easier in terms of the amount of forms to complete than AOS was. Regarding applying for ROC, if you're still with your USC then you need to wait until the 90 days, if you submit anything before that they'll just return it to you because it's too early. If you're divorced you can apply earlier (and in fact should because technically if you're not married you're not fulfilling a condition of the conditional card).

My GC expires 07/01/12 so I'm a bit after you. I have told myself that I need to apply on or after my mums birthday next year which is 3rd April because it just happens to work out close to my 90 days.

I have started compiling a list of docs for ROC that might be able to help you and thus another guide but this time for ROC. Here's the cover letter I've started that has the required doc list on it, as well as some evidence I started organising:

- G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

- Payment in the amount of $590.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (##this will probably change by the time I/we file so remember to check)

- I-751 – Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, signed & dated #####

- Copy of Conditional Permanent Resident Card (front and back)

- Evidence of Relationship

o Copy IRS transcripts 2009, 2010 & 2011 showing joint filing

o Copy Car Insurance cards (showing joint names)

o Copy Wells Fargo joint account of XXXX

o Copy First Trust & Savings joint account of XXXX

o Copy Verizon cell phone bill (showing joint names)

o Electricity bills (showing joint names)

o Health Insurance showing joint names

o Copy Drivers licenses showing same address

o Photos from wedding & various occasions

STUFF I HOPE TO GET STILL

o More stuff showing same address

o Wills & Powers of Attorney showing each other as beneficiaries

o Flight records showing both travelled together

o Birth certificate of any children

o Lease/Mortgage agreement

o Affidavits from at least two (2) people who have know both of us since obtaining LPR

Hope that helps you a little. You can also have a look at the guide here on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide .

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, there is currently only one fee payable, being $1,070.00 for the AOS, EAD & AP (updated 23 Nov 2010: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5be73dc5cb93b210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8a2f6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD ). In July 2007 the fee for AOS changed and the rules altered so that if you send the EAD and AP at the same time as AOS (or while it's pending) the fee for EAD and AP are waived. Whether you apply for EAD and AP at the same time as AOS the fee remains the same and whether you think you need them or not, as the fee is waived, it's always better to have than not have, "just in case".

PAYMENT

It's important when writing the cheque that you write:

"One Thousand Ten and 00/100" or it might be returned.

Here is the USCIS link outlining the cheque writing requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD because if you're like me, it doesn't make sense to write it that way and I wouldn't have written it like that but their wish is our command :)

Hi Vanessa! First of all, I cant even thank you enough for taking the plus amount of time to write all this out - but its clearly SO appreciated! I do have one question though, forgive me if you were clear but i read it wrong, I am confused on how much to make the cheque out for? You mentioned at the beginning that a total of $1,070 is due (where the AOS, EAD, and AP are combined), but then at the end of the post, under PAYMENT it just lists the $1,010. I am afraid of not submitting enough payment when I submit my AOS package :S

Thank you

Jordon

Timeline
Hi Vanessa! First of all, I cant even thank you enough for taking the plus amount of time to write all this out - but its clearly SO appreciated! I do have one question though, forgive me if you were clear but i read it wrong, I am confused on how much to make the cheque out for? You mentioned at the beginning that a total of $1,070 is due (where the AOS, EAD, and AP are combined), but then at the end of the post, under PAYMENT it just lists the $1,010. I am afraid of not submitting enough payment when I submit my AOS package :S

Thank you

Jordon

It's $1070 now. Unfortunately I can no longer edit the OP and didn't notice my mistake until after I'd lost the ability to change it. ALWAYS check the forms and form instructions because things sometimes change so quickly. It's on the forms page here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD next to the form number (in the third column) and also here: http://www.uscis.gov/i-485 under "filing fee".

Congrats on submitting all your paperwork :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First I am preparing a I-864 Affidavit of Support for an Adjustment of Status for a K1 marriage situation. My fiancee (now wife) came over late Feb on a K1 Visa and we were married on March 19.

In form I-864, Part 5. Sponser's Household Size, there are questions:

Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit

a. Enter the number you entered on line 10 _1_

Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit:

b. Yourself. _1_

c. If you are married, enter "1" for your spouse _1_

Ok, since I am married it sounds like I should put a 1 in the box for c. However, that adds up to 3 and there is only my wife (who I am sponsoring) and me = 2. In the example form it shows box c. with a 0. This is confusing as heck.

For a K1 Visa AOS, there is only two in my household. So am I supposed to mark the box in c. with a zero, even though it seems wrong? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks, Jim (aka Coffee)

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Timeline

Ok, since I am married it sounds like I should put a 1 in the box for c. However, that adds up to 3 and there is only my wife (who I am sponsoring) and me = 2. In the example form it shows box c. with a 0. This is confusing as heck.

For a K1 Visa AOS, there is only two in my household. So am I supposed to mark the box in c. with a zero, even though it seems wrong? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks, Jim (aka Coffee)

You are certainly not the first person to ask this question, in fact it's one of the most common. You need to make sure that you read every question completely... and in this case the question is: "21. Your Household Size - DO NOT COUNT ANYONE TWICE" and that's exactly how it's written.. in CAPS and underlined "do not count anyone twice".

In the case of the I-864 your wife isn't your wife, she's the immigrant. It's important to realise that this form isn't just used for spouses of the immigrant. For instance if you needed a co-sponsor and the co-sponsor was married they would of course tick the spouse box as well as the immigrant box because the spouse is NOT the immigrant.

I know it feels wrong and like you're lying but the question says "don't count anyone twice" so we do what we have to. So it's a 1 for yourself, and a 1 for immigrant and zero's everywhere else.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You are certainly not the first person to ask this question, in fact it's one of the most common. You need to make sure that you read every question completely... and in this case the question is: "21. Your Household Size - DO NOT COUNT ANYONE TWICE" and that's exactly how it's written.. in CAPS and underlined "do not count anyone twice".

In the case of the I-864 your wife isn't your wife, she's the immigrant. It's important to realise that this form isn't just used for spouses of the immigrant. For instance if you needed a co-sponsor and the co-sponsor was married they would of course tick the spouse box as well as the immigrant box because the spouse is NOT the immigrant.

I know it feels wrong and like you're lying but the question says "don't count anyone twice" so we do what we have to. So it's a 1 for yourself, and a 1 for immigrant and zero's everywhere else.

I indeed read those things you pointed out to me. The problem is, even taking the "in CAPs" and "underlined" instructions into account, the form is just plain contradictory in terms of the questions and layout. This is why I wanted someone to lead me by the nose and tell me to ignore what my brain is telling me and just fill the boxes in "so". I can't tell you how many forums I've been in over the years where people repeat the mantra "if you would have read the instructions... I wouldn't have to be telling you x, y and z". But with these gov't forms, you can read the instructions over and over and still be confused. As you noted, many people have justifiably been confused by this one!

I appreciate the feedback and confirmation. What can I say, this is the U.S. Government and things don't always make sense with their forms.

Many thanks, Coffee

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Timeline
I indeed read those things you pointed out to me. The problem is, even taking the "in CAPs" and "underlined" instructions into account, the form is just plain contradictory in terms of the questions and layout. This is why I wanted someone to lead me by the nose and tell me to ignore what my brain is telling me and just fill the boxes in "so". I can't tell you how many forums I've been in over the years where people repeat the mantra "if you would have read the instructions... I wouldn't have to be telling you x, y and z". But with these gov't forms, you can read the instructions over and over and still be confused. As you noted, many people have justifiably been confused by this one!

I appreciate the feedback and confirmation. What can I say, this is the U.S. Government and things don't always make sense with their forms.

Many thanks, Coffee

Oh don't worry I'm with you 100% because I thought the same thing. They seem to conveniently forget that a lot of people applying for AOS don't speak English as a first language (because it's not a requirement in the US) and if those of us that DO can get so confused what luck does a non-english speaker have?

Anyway hope my answer helped :)

• 4 weeks later...

I had my Biometrics appointment today at Tampa FL. Wasn't until 3pm but we arrived early in the morning they didn't care and the whole thing is pretty much an in and out process. I think I was probably in there no longer then 15min. It was all in one big room straight off the street, had plenty of parking. The guy at the front desk was the friendliest, everyone else were like drones they pretty much ignored me which is odd because they hand out a card to fill in at the end asking how well they did, I'm guessing the answers don't count for much.

Did anyone else notice the "I don't know" option to the Eye colour question? ... How could you not know?

Edited by James&Candice

27 Jan 2010 - I-129F sent (US time)

28 Jan 2010 - USCIS (Vermont Service Center) receive our petition (US time)

29 Jan 2010 - NOA1 (date on form)

05 Feb 2010 - NOA1 in hand[/color]

03 Mar 2010 - Police check done

05 Mar 2010 - Blood test done to check my immunity

10 Mar 2010 - Mum diagnosed with bowel cancer

16 Mar 2010 - Mum has surgery. Doing fine :)

19 Mar 2010 - Police check arrives in mail (16days)

14 Apr 2010 - RECEIVED NOA2!!

20 Apr 2010 - NVC sends petition to SYD (US time)

23 Apr 2010 - SYD receives petition (tracked using DHL)

29 Apr 2010 - To SYD for medical with Dr Millar - Packet 3 received (emailed to James, forwarded to me)

04 May 2010 - Medical report received

19 May 2010 - P3 Sent

25 May 2010 - P4 received interview set for the 1st June

01 June 2010 - INTERVIEW APPROVED!!

08 June 2010 - VISA IN HAND!!

08 July 2010 - flight... In James's arms

05 Oct 2010 - MARRIED

18 Mar 2011 - Filed AOS EAD AP (5mths after marriage)

22 Apr 2011 - NOA's received (3 letters, Not all on the one day)

?? Apr 2011 - Received letter for BIO appointment in Tampa FL

11 May 2011 - !! YAY TRANSFERRED TO CSC !!

20 May 2011 - Bio at Tampa

26 May 2011 - EAD Approved

04 Jun 2011 - EAD & AP Received

12 Jul 2011 - Green Card Approved/Card Ordered

Timeline
I had my Biometrics appointment today at Tampa FL. Wasn't until 3pm but we arrived early in the morning they didn't care and the whole thing is pretty much an in and out process. I think I was probably in there no longer then 15min. It was all in one big room straight off the street, had plenty of parking. The guy at the front desk was the friendliest, everyone else were like drones they pretty much ignored me which is odd because they hand out a card to fill in at the end asking how well they did, I'm guessing the answers don't count for much.

Did anyone else notice the "I don't know" option to the Eye colour question? ... How could you not know?

Lol. Maybe that's for the people that have one eye one colour and one the other? Or a half coloured eye? Ever seen that? It's odd!

Different coloured eyes: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/01/sports/draft190.jpg

Half and half eyes: http://i38.tinypic.com/2ro3mnp.jpg and here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/HeterochromiaEye.jpg

Though the last one looks a little like a hazel eye gone wrong (half green half brown)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.