Confusedgal

State ID

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi!!! I was also disappointed when I went to DMV to get the state ID. I have SSN but when they looked at my I-94 it is less than 60 days so i just have to go back there when I have the EAD. I'm here in CA. I think they require more than 60 days because they send the ID within 60 days so my I-94 will expire by the time I get the ID. I can't even take the written test :( so spending time now reviewing the handbook.

Edited by Andrelle

Sdk4m8.png

4msavwlwa.png

AOS and EAD timeline:

January 20, 2010 - Sent AOS and EAD

January 22, 2010 - AOS and EAD received and signed for by CHYBA

January 28, 2010 - Check was cashed

February 2, 2010 - Received NOA1 for AOS and EAD

February 2, 2010 - Notice date biometrics appointment

February 5, 2010 - Received appointment notice

February 23, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

February 24, 2010 - Touch on AOS and EAD :)

March 12, 2010 - Received my interview letter for April 15, 2010 (dated March 9, 2010)

March 18, 2010 - EAD card production ordered

March 23, 2010 - 2nd e-mail (EAD card production ordered)

March 24, 2010 - 3rd e-mail (Approval notice for EAD sent)

March 27, 2010 - EAD received

April 15, 2010 - Interview (Approved)

April 23, 2010 - Card production ordered

April 28, 2010 - Card production ordered

May 3, 2010 - Received my green card! :)

ROC:

March 24, 2012 - Sent ROC packet :)

March 26, 2012 - I-751 packet received :)

March 29, 2012 - Check was cashed :)

March 30, 2012 - NOA1

April 27, 2012 - Received biometrics appointment.

May 23, 2012 - Biometrics Appointment - done :)

September 26, 2012 - ROC approved :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Oh! the thought of this gives me terrible headaches! I am not looking forward to arguing this out at DPS.

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-26

Visa Received : 2010-02-04

US Entry - Dallas : 2010-02-26

Marriage : 2010-03-27

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Dallas TX

Date Filed : 2010-04-13

NOA Date : 2010-04-24

RFE(s) :

AOS Transfer** : 2010-05-13

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-07

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-18

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-22

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-23

******EAD and AP approved and sent for production 2010-06-28******

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

• 4 weeks later...
From that link, can go here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...StatusChart.pdf

It says AOS applicants can get a 1 yr card (in the table, page 5). So by showing passport, K1 visa, and NOA1 for AOS application, an ID should be obtainable.

I recommend printing the table and taking all the above to apply for the ID.

I called the Austin office this morning to ask if I could take the LEARNER'S PERMIT test. The lady there said I need to get my AOS and EAD first when she found out that my I-94 will expire next week. But when my husband called the Texas main office, the lady there said that I only need to bring the SSN, visa, I-94 and marriage certificate (as found on page 5 of that chart - under K1 visa), and that the expiration date doesn't matter. What should I do? I'm confused and, at the same time, frustrated! :wacko::angry:

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Click here to view my timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

**moving from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "General Immigration Related Discussion" as this isn't AOS specific and more an issue for people when immigrating in general**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I went to the Dallas DPS office, they told me you have to have at least 6 months minimum left on your I94 before you can get an ID or DL.

I really dont know how they interpret the new law

Edited by wratran

Linh & Ngan

I went to the Dallas DPS office, they told me you have to have at least 6 months minimum left on your I94 before you can get an ID or DL.

I really dont know how they interpret the new law

Well, sometimes it is an issue with the guys at the front counter not knowing all the policies, especially as they apply to the relatively small number of K visa entrants that they encounter. I'm not sure we can expect them to keep up with 1% of the entrants to the US in a year, let alone the itsy bitsy percentage of people they must see in their offices.

My suggestion would be to take a print out of the policy provided in the link, and insist on seeing a supervisor - get as high as you can in that building with your print out of the rules. Or - wait until you obviously meet the requirements, if you can. It's less effort, certainly.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.