Scott & LC

Do I have to apply for SSN before getting a Marriage Cert?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi all....

I am now in the US, for 3 weeks now. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to apply for Social Security Number before applying for a marriage certificate? I was admitted into the US on 20th November, and we're thinking of registering our marriage on the 5th of January... my 90 day visa expires on the 18th February... is there enough time to file for AOS?? I am 24 years old by the way. I hope someone could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

No, it is not necessary to have your SSN before you apply for a marriage license. Even if your city's website says you need it. Call them to clarify. But, in St. Louis, the web site said we did and when I called and explained, they said they use the Visa number just fine. We had no issues.-

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

For clarification so things don't get confusing:

When you get married, you need to have two witnesses to sign the certificate along with the person marrying you. After its all said and done and signed, bring back to the certificate to the register of deeds (where you originally got it from) and ask for a copy of your marriage license.

I meant:

When you get married, you need to have two witnesses to sign the license along with the person marrying you. After its all said and done and signed, bring back to the license to the register of deeds (where you originally got it from) and ask for a copy of your marriage certificate.

They are essentially the same piece of paper. The license becomes a certificate once you bring it back to the register of deeds after marriage. From what I observed, she photocopied it onto some green paper, chopped, signed and embossed it and viola, marriage certificate.

By the way, do NOT let the judge(whoever marries you) keep the license after marriage to take it to the register of deeds. This will delay it. Take it there yourselves and you can get the certificate on the same day. It took all of 5 mintes to turn the license into certificates for us. Remember its 10 bucks per copy. I think AOS requires you send one certified copy so make more than one. We made two, one for us and one for AOS.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all....

I am now in the US, for 3 weeks now. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to apply for Social Security Number before applying for a marriage certificate? I was admitted into the US on 20th November, and we're thinking of registering our marriage on the 5th of January... my 90 day visa expires on the 18th February... is there enough time to file for AOS?? I am 24 years old by the way. I hope someone could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

no you can get marriage certificate or marriage license even you don't have a ssn#. Goodluck with u

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thank you all again... really appreciate it :)

Leo&Farah: Have you done the I-693 form for the medical examination? The one that we have to go to a civil surgeon for the transcribe thingy? Have you done that? Do you have any idea around how much it costs? Thank you :)

CHeers

LC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Nope we haven't done that yet. My guess is as good as yours. I am curious about it though. I found a civil surgeon in Hickory, so we'll probably head there. There's a few in Charlotte too, Greensboro etc

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...office_type=CIV

I'm pretty curious about it too. I'm guessing within the 100-150 range.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

No. States cannot require you to thave an SSN. They can ASK for one but cannnot require it. If you have none, answer "none" they cannot refuse a marriage license for lack of SSN

Interesting. New Jersey states they can: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml

Required documents when applying for a marriage license:

1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.

2. Proof of your residency.

3. Your social security card or social security number.*

4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.

5. The $28 application fee.

*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

This is just an update on my side...

I finally have received my SSN!!! :) Yayyy.... I applied on the 15th, received a letter of acknowledgement a few days later and then I just received my SSN today (31st Dec 09)! Great way to start the new year :)

Thanks everybody and Happy New Year!

Now, I'm just confused with the I-693 thingy... bleh.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yeah! you gots a ssn now. perhaps i missed it, but are you and yer spouse setting up joint accounts , joint utilities after marriage?

Happy New Year !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I'm glad to have my SSN :) Thank you!

I don't think we're gonna have a joint bank account but he will be adding me to his mortgage for the house and probably the health insurance as well :) hope that'll work!! heh...

take care ! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
----------

re: waiting 4 to 6 weeks.

YIKES - this is wrong.

This tells me the person that dealt with you, is a moron.

You have to be 'found' in the SAVE database, then if the names match, is immediate approval, with 1 to 7 day turn around. A properly trained clerk with know that, and do that, in real time, with you at the window.

Suggest you go back, get a supervisor at that office, have him check status of your case (face to face, not use telephone ) .

Same happened to me...4 week wait..starting a few days ago. Even in the guide on this site it warns you not to go in within 2 weeks after arrival since you may not be in the system. We waited 3 and she was still not in the system :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Interesting. New Jersey states they can: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml

Required documents when applying for a marriage license:

1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.

2. Proof of your residency.

3. Your social security card or social security number.*

4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.

5. The $28 application fee.

*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.

For US Citizens it says...the K1 fiance is not a US Citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

we waited 4 weeks after POE...and my wife was not in the system. We came into the SSN office and they did a manual verification that took another 4 weeks.

It did arrived exactly in 4 weeks after the office visit.

Linh & Ngan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Maybe this requires a new thread, but I was just married with my fiance using the K-1 visa, in St. Louis Missouri. Shortly after, we applied and received the Social Security card in 2 weeks.(We brought our marriage proof in with us so we could get the card in her new married name/ ) But here's the thing, we didn't need the marriage license at all. just her i-94 and passport, birth cert, and SS registration form. This is why:

We were unable to get the SS# in here new name. Only in her maiden name. We were told that it is because the I-94 (received at port of entry) was in her maiden name and that if we wanted to change the name on her SS card, we would need to go to Homeland Security with the marriage license and get it changed there and as a result get a new i-94 too.

'Whoa!' I thought. We don't want a new i-94 till AFTER we send in the AOS package. But now i am stuck with an I-485(AOS main form) filled out with her NEW name and 'Part 1' asks for her Social Security #. We have one for her, but it's in her maiden name. Is that an issue?

((sorry if this is posted incorrectly. I don't mean to hijack a thread either. Just seemed like the info about SS# and its relation with AOS is here.))

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
2) Yes. You check "Legal alien allowed to work" as indicated in RM 00203.500. It might also be a good idea to highlight the line in that document that specifies that K-1 visa holders are included in the "Aliens authorized to work without specific DHS approval" section.

Worked for me, anyways.

I have a SSN from a previous J1 visa, and it has the "only valid for work with DHS authorization" stamp on it. Do I have to get it removed as soon as I get to the US? I was under the impression I had to wait until AOS or at least EAD. Doesn't look like you can't work without EAD, right?

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.