13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let me try to give all the info. My wife and I have been married for almost 3 years. I have just received my conditional green card. I really, really loved my wife at one point. But over the past few months (6 or 7) we've really been having troubles. I want to leave for lots of reason, the main one being that about 5 months ago she got custody of her 2 children and I'm just not ready to be a father. When I married her she told me that there was no chance she'd ever get her kids back.

Anyway, we've been married for almost 3 years, I have my conditional GC. I have lots and LOTS of evidence of our marriage. Joint leases for 3 years running, custody paperwork of our court battles to get the kids back, tons of photos, we own 2 cars together, altho when we separate we're going to go to the DPS and put one in her name and one in mine (I'm giving her the 2001 and taking the 1992 for myself, even tho I paid for both). We even have tattoos of each others names. I have all this documentation, but I'm going to leave. It will probably take me 6 months to divorce her, but I'm so terrified to divorce her and then mess up my petition.

I know I have to file the I-751 and remove conditions and prove my marriage was bona-fide, which it was. I mean, we passed our first interview easily. By the time we get divorced our marriage will have lasted 3 years and about 3 months probably, and I will have been under conditional status for 1 year and about 2 months.

What would you guys do? Any advice or input on the situation is welcome. Should I go ahead and leave (I have many reasons)? Should I try to stick it out? Should I stay married to her but "separate" and then file with her (she'd be willing to do that, we've discussed it, she knows I'm leaving). I just don't know what to do and I'm so scared.

I want to leave for lots of reason, the main one being that about 5 months ago she got custody of her 2 children and I'm just not ready to be a father.

Anyway, we've been married for almost 3 years, I have my conditional GC. I have lots and LOTS of evidence of our marriage. Joint leases for 3 years running, custody paperwork of our court battles to get the kids back

Why did it come as a surprise to you that she eventually got custody of her kids if, as the phrase "our court battles" suggests, you were involved in that process all along?!

I know I'm being judgemental here but surely if you married a woman who has kids, you knew that they'd be a big part of her life (and yours!) whether she had custody of them or not. It seems naïve on your part to have assumed otherwise.

It's certainly not my place to offer marital advice but, unless there are other compelling reasons for you to get divorced, why wouldn't you just stay with her, and work this out?

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

AUGUST 10 2004 - Arrived in Austin, TX with F-1 student visa status.

EARLY JAN/FEB 2008 - Met Michael (my future husband) in the café where he works.

APRIL 12 2008 - We go on our first date. It lasted 2 days!

APRIL 13 2009 - Got married in Marfa, TX, in the middle of the West Texan desert.

NOVEMBER 4 2009 - Finally saved up enough money to send off I-130; I-485; I-131; I-765.

NOVEMBER 5 2009 - Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox at 9:32 a.m! Signed for by A. Analakis. [DAY 1]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - Cheques for I-485 and I-130 are finally cashed! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - I-485, I-130, I-1765 & I-131 are all "touched"! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 13 2009 - Received NOA's for I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 (Notice date - November 10th 2009).[DAY 9]

NOVEMBER 16 2009 - All forms were "touched" again. [DAY 12]

NOVEMBER 23 2009 - Received biometrics appointment letter (scheduled for December 14th 2009) [DAY 19]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - Walk-in biometrics appointment in Austin ASC [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 25 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 21]

DECEMBER 28 2009 - Received AP approval letter, dated December 23. Received a text & email, too [DAY 54]

DECEMBER 29 2009 - Received email & text, saying EAD is approved; card production ordered. [DAY 55]

DECEMBER 31 2009 - Received AP document. [DAY 57]

JANUARY 2 2010 - Received EAD & interview letter (interview will be 02/16/10, San Antonio). [DAY 59]

FEBRUARY 16 2010 - Approved at interview! I-551 stamp in passport. [DAY 104]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Your recent topics show that you just had your interview last month. Why on earth would you even have a conditional GC if you've been married "almost three years?" In another topic, you said you were married in March of 2008. In your timeline, you said you were married in March of 2007. If that were true, you wouldn't have been give a conditional GC 1 month ago. And you're either from Armenia or the Phillipines. Hmmmm...... Something doesn't add up here......

02/11/09 Married

11/02/09 Sent I-130

11/09/09 NOA1 (received 11/13/09)

11/10/09 Check Cashed

11/13/09 *Touch*

2/10/10 NOA2 (text and email)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess u really dont love ur wife and u just want to be here permanently.How will you feel if you have kids and get custody of them and your wife's not ready to be a mother to ur kids?would it not hurt you?From what i understand,when u love somebody u will love everything in her including her kids.It seem to me that you're more concern of your gc than your marriage.grow up!as if you have a trouble mind since you dont really know where u are from,from the Phils or Armenia :whistle:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Perhaps it's just me...and the confusing facts of who you really are, or where you are really from, notwithstanding...

The op said...he was told there was no chance she would ever get her kids back and they were not in her custody. I could see how, if that situation were to change, one might not be ready for the responsibility of fatherhood. However, that said, why go through all the court battles and if you did, why would you be surprised about it now? Perhaps instead of getting divorced, you might consider marriage counseling first to see what it is you REALLY want.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I understand that its very hard to be married to someone with children that are not yours. Believe me. But it sounds like you are not even giving these children a chance. You should stay and find a common ground with these kids and build on that. No one said you have to be their father...they have a father. Be their friend. And what ever happened to "through the good and the bad". You married your wife. She is YOUR wife. Take care of her.

Remember - worry looks around, sorry looks back and faith looks up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i was going to call you a toad but didnt want to be having any problems for tos violation so let me just say something does not add up with this........as one other poster said there seems to be confusion as to when u got married and where your from..........

sara

I don't know how your wife having kids is a big problem, you knew before you married. You said "our court battle" so you where there with her to get them back. I really don't know how one marries someone with kids and then has a problem being a parent.

My husband has kids that live with there mother and I can't imagine ever telling him I'll leave if they were to come live with us.

Edited by sdw

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Let me try to give all the info. My wife and I have been married for almost 3 years. I have just received my conditional green card. I really, really loved my wife at one point. But over the past few months (6 or 7) we've really been having troubles. I want to leave for lots of reason, the main one being that about 5 months ago she got custody of her 2 children and I'm just not ready to be a father. When I married her she told me that there was no chance she'd ever get her kids back.

Anyway, we've been married for almost 3 years, I have my conditional GC. I have lots and LOTS of evidence of our marriage. Joint leases for 3 years running, custody paperwork of our court battles to get the kids back, tons of photos, we own 2 cars together, altho when we separate we're going to go to the DPS and put one in her name and one in mine (I'm giving her the 2001 and taking the 1992 for myself, even tho I paid for both). We even have tattoos of each others names. I have all this documentation, but I'm going to leave. It will probably take me 6 months to divorce her, but I'm so terrified to divorce her and then mess up my petition.

I know I have to file the I-751 and remove conditions and prove my marriage was bona-fide, which it was. I mean, we passed our first interview easily. By the time we get divorced our marriage will have lasted 3 years and about 3 months probably, and I will have been under conditional status for 1 year and about 2 months.

What would you guys do? Any advice or input on the situation is welcome. Should I go ahead and leave (I have many reasons)? Should I try to stick it out? Should I stay married to her but "separate" and then file with her (she'd be willing to do that, we've discussed it, she knows I'm leaving). I just don't know what to do and I'm so scared.

sooooooooo selfish :angry:

K1 timeline

09/22/2006 - I-129F sent

02/14/2007 - Interview in Rio de Janeiro - VISA APROVED!

03/03/2007 - Flight out to States

12/21/2007 - Wedding!

AOS timeline

02/27/2008 - l-485 sent

04/29/2008 - AOS Biometric

05/01/2008 - I-94 Expired

07/22/2008 - AOS denied

10/28/2008 - In removal proceeding

01/14/2009 - Flew back to Brazil ;(

02/10/2009 - Hubby flew to Brazil ;)

IR1 timeline

09/23/2008 - I-130 sent

11/06/2009 - Interview in Rio de Janeiro - CO need an Advisory Opinion (sent an email to DHS with my I-94 and court order)

12/02/2010 - Hubby went back to the U.S.A ;(

We have a winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, you get the troll of the day award!

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, you people are really being unhelpful. I thought this website was about advice for immigration, not about judging me, my ability to use this website correctly, and my life choices. None of you know the situation, none of you know anything about anything. I want to leave because SHE doesn't want me around anymore. All she wants is to spend lost time with her kids. She doesn't want me there. She makes me sleep on the couch, makes me feel like I'm not welcome. She tells me not to come home and to go somewhere else all the time. This situation is NOT my fault. I don't want to leave, but she wants me gone and I'm sick of TRYING to make her change her mine. You people are useless pieces of #######. Thanks for the help.

Wow, you people are really being unhelpful. I thought this website was about advice for immigration, not about judging me, my ability to use this website correctly, and my life choices. None of you know the situation, none of you know anything about anything. I want to leave because SHE doesn't want me around anymore. All she wants is to spend lost time with her kids. She doesn't want me there. She makes me sleep on the couch, makes me feel like I'm not welcome. She tells me not to come home and to go somewhere else all the time. This situation is NOT my fault. I don't want to leave, but she wants me gone and I'm sick of TRYING to make her change her mine. You people are useless pieces of #######. Thanks for the help.

You should really check yourself. You didn't ask for immigration advice in your original post. You told us you already knew what you had to do to remove conditions, then asked if we would divorce her or not.

I think calling us pieces of ####### is the pot calling the kettle black...!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest you go talk to a minister at a church, or a therapist, about your feelings and your marital situation.

Remember - she's got her children back, and she's (selfishly or no ) making time to be a mother again. She's connected to those kids, regardless of your feelings.

But - I think you need a different perspective. One you really won't get here, but I suggest is one that you can gain from talking to someone who really has a solid background in giving marital advice, and someone who might have an interest to help you.

Go find that person, have a talk, a series of talks. If you feel lost, get help, face to face, with someone who can focus and care about 'your situation'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.