drewhimself

Changing from F-1 visa to Fiance visa?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all

I am from England and am currently on an F-1 student visa. Me and my American girlfriend have been together for 3 and a half years and plan to get married next summer (before my F-1 visa expires). I am looking for any information on whether I should apply for a change of status to a K-1 visa before getting married or just get married and start the green card process afterward.

I am not particularly worried about being approved due to the length of time we have been together, but I want to make sure I do things in the right order. Any advice on this and what forms I will need to complete will be much appreciated!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you're both in the U.S., then just get married and file for Adjustment Of Status from your F-1. As long as you're in good standing, there should be no problem. I know you need the I-130 and the I1485. Hopefully, someone soon will come along and give you the complete list. In the meantime, read the guides.

If you are in your home country, then she may file a K1 (fiance visa) for you. Or you guys may get married in the UK and file for a CR1 or a K3.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Since you will be in the US you will want to file AOS to get your GC. Read this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

:thumbs:

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

If you did not plan to get married and stay in the States when you last entered the country on your F-1 visa, you can go ahead and get married here and then adjust status (AOS) after the wedding.

You will not be able to work while your AOS is pending and you are waiting for your work permit (EAD). You will also not be able to leave and re-enter the country while your AOS is pending and you are waiting for your travel permit (Advanced Parole=AP). It takes up to 3 months to receive both of this, after filing for AOS.

The whole process, from filing to greencard, takes up to 6 months. In my case it was a little under 3. The total cost is somewhere around $1600, depending on the cost for your medical, pictures,... The visa itself is $1010 for the I-485 and $355 for the I-130.

Here is a link to the guides on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Here is a link to uscis.gov: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

Good luck!

Edited by Betti

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

We were actually together when I came out on my F-1 visa (I had previously been a J-1 visa, then came back on the F-1) but did not plan to marry. Do you foresee that being a problem?

Just to confirm, if we get married, say 6 weeks before my visa expires, then I apply for AOS, I will be allowed to stay after my F-1 expires while the paperwork is being processed?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you might find this topic useful - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228250

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

That should not be a problem at all. I was together with my then boyfriend, now husband, too, when I came on a J-1 visa last year. Neither one of us knew at my time of entry that we will get married and I will stay after the visa is up. It was never mentioned by anyone throughout the AOS process, it seemed more important to proof that our relationship is real. Just make sure you send enough evidence with your application and be honest at all times, and it should be going well.

Yes, as soon as you receive your NOAs (Notice Of Action), about 10 days after you send in your AOS package, your new status is "AOS pending", which allows you to stay in the country until a decision is made.

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Just get married soon and apply for aos. If you wait until the final month or two of your visa it could appear that you are getting married for the wrong reasons.... You never know who is going to be sitting on the other side of that desk at your local office (interview), so why leave anything to chance? You are allowed to attend college while your aos is pending so nothing changes but your status.

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

It sounds like you guys are in the same situation that my husband and I were in. We just had our interview and got approved last week :) Everything was fine and we were never asked any questions about his overstay. I think the most important thing is to provide as much documentation as you can about your relationship and be honest in everything.

We were married less than a month before his F1 expired. I wasn't worried about it looking rushed because we had a traditional wedding (over 1 year of engagement and several months of planning, just like many couples). I don't see any reason to be worried if there is nothing to hide. Good luck! Enjoy your wedding!

Hi, "Drewhimself"

I was also on a F1 visa (it expired in May, and my OPT expired in July) and my husband and I got married in April, so only one month before my visa expired.

We had planned to file our immigration paperwork before my OPT expired but, due to changed financial circumstances, we couldn't afford the $1600 application fees until just a couple of weeks ago. In other words, I overstayed by about 3.5 months (although apparently there is a roughly 3-month grace period for you to get out of the country).

I don't think my slight visa overstay will cause any problems - at least that's what I've heard on here.

I *am* a bit worried about getting married so close to the expiry date on my visa, though. My husband and I had only been together for a year before getting married, so I hope that won't look suspicious.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

AUGUST 10 2004 - Arrived in Austin, TX with F-1 student visa status.

EARLY JAN/FEB 2008 - Met Michael (my future husband) in the café where he works.

APRIL 12 2008 - We go on our first date. It lasted 2 days!

APRIL 13 2009 - Got married in Marfa, TX, in the middle of the West Texan desert.

NOVEMBER 4 2009 - Finally saved up enough money to send off I-130; I-485; I-131; I-765.

NOVEMBER 5 2009 - Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox at 9:32 a.m! Signed for by A. Analakis. [DAY 1]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - Cheques for I-485 and I-130 are finally cashed! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - I-485, I-130, I-1765 & I-131 are all "touched"! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 13 2009 - Received NOA's for I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 (Notice date - November 10th 2009).[DAY 9]

NOVEMBER 16 2009 - All forms were "touched" again. [DAY 12]

NOVEMBER 23 2009 - Received biometrics appointment letter (scheduled for December 14th 2009) [DAY 19]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - Walk-in biometrics appointment in Austin ASC [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 25 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 21]

DECEMBER 28 2009 - Received AP approval letter, dated December 23. Received a text & email, too [DAY 54]

DECEMBER 29 2009 - Received email & text, saying EAD is approved; card production ordered. [DAY 55]

DECEMBER 31 2009 - Received AP document. [DAY 57]

JANUARY 2 2010 - Received EAD & interview letter (interview will be 02/16/10, San Antonio). [DAY 59]

FEBRUARY 16 2010 - Approved at interview! I-551 stamp in passport. [DAY 104]

I came to the USA on J-1 in 2005, met my girlfriend at, returned in 2009 on F-1 and got married to her about 8 months later. Of course it wasn't premeditated and we recently filled AOS for GC and I am now in possesion of the GC. The process was smooth.

You'll be fine.

Good luck :)

-Brendan

Timeline:

08/11/09 - UPS Delivered AOS package to Lockbox
08/17/09 - Checks cashed
08/17/09 - NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (received 08/21/09)
08/26/09 - Notice of Biometrics appt (received 08/29/09)
09/01/09 - Walk in biometrics done....erk
09/01/09 - Touch
09/22/09 - EAD Card Production ordered
09/25/09 - AP Approval notice sent
10/01/09 - Received AP document
10/05/09 - Received EAD card....nice
10/20/09 - Interview scheduled - Approved....Card production ordered.

10/2011 - Removal of Conditions approved - 10 year Greencard Produced

04/2013 - Return to UK with USC Wife / Abandoned GC

01/26/14 - Submit I-130 petition to London (DCF)

02/04/14 - NOA1

03/06/14 - NOA2

03/10/14 - Packet 3 (Case # issued)

03/19/14 - Medical

03/25/14 - Packet 4 (Interview date scheduled)

04/23/14 - Interview @ Embassy : Approved

I'm on F1 visa too and got married well after arriving here to my darling husband, we just filed AOS paperwork and waaaiiiting impatiently, lol, I'm sooo impatient!

As everyone above me advised, you have to get married first and your spouse has to file petition for alien relative (I-130) (with this you need to include a very important doc.: marriage certificate!) however you will want to file all your paperwork together, AOS, Advanced Parole (AP) application, and EAD (Employment Authorisation Document), which does cost a pretty penny but if your case is simple enough don't hire a lawyer, resources such as this site is very helpful and all the info you need with checklists etc. is all free on here. Good luck mate and let us know how it goes!

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

I am actually in the exact situation you are in. Once you get married and apply before your F1 visa expires you will be fine...actually you will be fine even if you apply a couple weeks after it expires....once its not years we are talking about. But I would go ahead and do everything in advance and not wait until the last min. Me and my fiance are getting married and appling next month. You can adjust your status directly from you F1 visa since you and your wife are already here. Here is all you need:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Came to the U.S on a F1 visa January 2008

Got engaged to my USC girlfriend Dec 2008

DEC 29th 2009 Married

JAN 27th 2010 Medical completed Jan 27th

FEB 17th 2010 AOS + I-130 package sent

FEB 25th Got emails with all receipt # ( but not able to check on USCIS site)

FEB 28th Online status check available

MAR 1st Received Hard Copy of NOA's in the mail

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAR 9th Biometrics complete via walk-in (All docs touched on USCIS site)

MAR 26th Received interview appointment (For May 6th)

APR 23rd Touched on I-130 and I-485

APR 26th Touched on all docs, EAD card production ordered

MAY 1st Advance patrol in mail

MAY 6th Interview (Request for additional information)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

June 28th Notice of approval on USCIS website

July 3th GREEN CARD INT HE MAIL!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.