cwb

Oath

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello again,

Well next week is going to be my Oath Ceremony, and I'm so relieved it will be over!!! Anyway, my question is:

I'm going to Brazil in 2 weeks, 8 days after my oath, so I wonder if they keep the GC, are they gonna give me any papers to re-entry the country, I'm sure just my DL is not going to be enough. And the new passport even if the make it right after, at court house where I'm going, it will take longer than 8 days? Thank you all for being so helful, Marlaise :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, they take your green card because you are no longer a permanent resident. You will receive a Certificate of Naturalization in its place. As a US citizen you absolutely need a US passport to travel. You will need to apply for an expedited US passport and let them know your travel dates so they can get it to you in time. You are cutting it close with an expedited passport - if all of your information is correct and your photographs fine you should be able to get it in time but if there is a problem, you will have a delay and won't be able to get it in time. Your DL is definitely not enough - you will not be allowed on the plane without a passport, and you will require a US passport to get back into the US.

Here is information about applying for a US passport. Get the form filled out and have everything you need ready to go so you can send it off right after you have your Oath ceremony (make a copy of your certificate before you send it off - and yes, you need to send off your brand new certificate of citizenship as well). You have to apply in person at one of the listed offices.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

You are like an angel!!! I seen you all over the place helping out, thank you!

Well I guess i always can go with the brazilian passport and my sister or husband can send it to me, right?

Have a nice nught!

Yes, they take your green card because you are no longer a permanent resident. You will receive a Certificate of Naturalization in its place. As a US citizen you absolutely need a US passport to travel. You will need to apply for an expedited US passport and let them know your travel dates so they can get it to you in time. You are cutting it close with an expedited passport - if all of your information is correct and your photographs fine you should be able to get it in time but if there is a problem, you will have a delay and won't be able to get it in time. Your DL is definitely not enough - you will not be allowed on the plane without a passport, and you will require a US passport to get back into the US.

Here is information about applying for a US passport. Get the form filled out and have everything you need ready to go so you can send it off right after you have your Oath ceremony (make a copy of your certificate before you send it off - and yes, you need to send off your brand new certificate of citizenship as well). You have to apply in person at one of the listed offices.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
You are like an angel!!! I seen you all over the place helping out, thank you!

Well I guess i always can go with the brazilian passport and my sister or husband can send it to me, right?

Have a nice nught!

You can make an appointment with the passport agent to get a same day passport after your naturalization ceremony by calling 18774872778, provided you have less than 14 days to your travel day. You visit the passport agent's office on your appointment day, and come back home with your passport in your hand. It takes 3 to 5 hours to make a passport.

Visit the link below for more information and testimonies of USC that got their passport within few hours. I wish you luck. Congratulations.

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/fix-its-how-...me-day-passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

All the excitement of the oath ceremony died quickly when we realized we were in the same exact position as when my wife's one year extension was about to expire with that taking forever I-751, she could no longer travel until she got a US passport. I like to call this the twilight zone again. While the DOS can issue a passport in a day, only 12 offices do that, and not bad if you happen to live across the street from one, but the USA is a huge country. They could get space at an airport to do this, but has to be downtown someplace loaded with no parking zones.

Not a good time to plan a trip until you get your passport and sure would not depend on them to send it to a foreign country, you already told them you broke the law.

Would be nice if the USCIS could work with the DOS and give you a passport the same time as your oath ceremony, but the DOS doesn't even trust the word of the USCIS to say you got your certificate, they want to see it at some god forsaken place. USCIS even tells you to make a copy of your certificate, they want that if yours gets lost, also want another 400 bucks from you for that piece of paper.

I wouldn't leave unless you have a US passport in your pocket, unless you are not planning on coming back.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Also, depending on your other citizenship, you could need a visa for Brazil.

If your other country allows dual citizenship, then you might travel to Brazil without a visa (ie: if you hold a EU passport, most likely you won't need a visa to Brazil). Obviously, if your other citizenship is Brazilian, then you probably must use your Brazilian passport to enter and leave Brazil.

So I definitely suggest that you schedule an appointment at a regional passport agency asap, better the same day of your oath, in case you need to obtain a brazilian visa.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Timeline

I agree with NickD - don't leave home without a US passport. Anything could happen to it if it were mailed to you out of the country. Heck, I ran into difficulties with it being mailed inside the country from the passport office to me. It went missing for 3 weeks and the passport office had to cancel that one and reissue me another. Do the expedited - and if you can manage the same day process go for it. You can use your Brazilian passport to enter Brazil but as an American citizen you are not allowed to re-enter the US on a non-US passport. Get all of the forms and photos done now so you are ready to go the day of your citizenship oath. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
I agree with NickD - don't leave home without a US passport. Anything could happen to it if it were mailed to you out of the country. Heck, I ran into difficulties with it being mailed inside the country from the passport office to me. It went missing for 3 weeks and the passport office had to cancel that one and reissue me another. Do the expedited - and if you can manage the same day process go for it. You can use your Brazilian passport to enter Brazil but as an American citizen you are not allowed to re-enter the US on a non-US passport. Get all of the forms and photos done now so you are ready to go the day of your citizenship oath. Good luck.

Not even with a valid visa? I know since we give away our GCs we do not have the right of entry left.That must be why we are to use a US passport to enter, right? What if we have a 10 year tourist visa that is still valid? Can we enter using the other passport then?

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline

Not even with a valid visa? I know since we give away our GCs we do not have the right of entry left.That must be why we are to use a US passport to enter, right? What if we have a 10 year tourist visa that is still valid? Can we enter using the other passport then?

The visa is not valid.

Actually it hasn't been valid since the day they accepted your I-485.

The law says you must use a US passport to enter the US.

And most countries have similar laws for their citizens, including dual citizens.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Oh no...thanks God, Brazil alow us to be dual citizen

Timeline

You can also take your certificate with you to Brazil and apply for a US passport at a US Consulate.

It takes 2 weeks though.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The visa is not valid.

And most countries have similar laws for their citizens, including dual citizens.

Hmmm.... I didn't know that dual citizens might be required to use their non US passports to enter their home countries. How can I find out which countries require it? I tried googling, but I'm not using the right search words - I'm getting all kinds of weird stuff....

Thank you!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Timeline
The visa is not valid.

Hmmm.... I didn't know that dual citizens might be required to use their non US passports to enter their home countries. How can I find out which countries require it? I tried googling, but I'm not using the right search words - I'm getting all kinds of weird stuff....

Thank you!

venusfire

Most EU countries require that. Russia also for sure, Mexico too.

How is that enforced? It depends on the country, but if you have the passport of that country then why not using it?

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Timeline

No, you don't necessarily have to use your US passport to enter other countries than the US - you just have to use it to enter the US.

The comment was the other countries often require their own citizens to use the passport of that country to enter their country. This only becomes an issue if you have dual or more citizenship. For example, I would use my Canadian passport to enter Canada but I can't use my Canadian passport to re-enter the US - I have to use my US passport. It is important to be aware of what is required before you travel. It can get complicated if you are a woman who has changed her name and has different names in different passports as airline tickets are required to be in the name of the passport used.

To find out if your country requires you to use their passport why not contact their Embassy or Consulate in the US and ask them directly. They would certainly know.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

venusfire

Most EU countries require that. Russia also for sure, Mexico too.

Australia also requires it's citizen to enter/leave Australia on an Australian passport

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.